Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet How to use the JOGWHEEL as "Foward & Backward" Track Search

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi, does someone have already tried mapping the Jogwheel to work as "Foward & Backward" Track Search? I want to assign a button that will work as a toggle switch for my Jogwheel to switch ON & OFF between the "Scratch Mode and the Foward & Backward" Track Search as it will move foward to search tracks when the jogwheel turns clockwise and backward when the jogwheel turns counter-clolckwise and the jogwheel must turn back to default function as Scratching mode when this buttons is "OFF". Need help, some scripting please....as have done some and it does not work and trying to dig more but i can't figure out how it should be done so i need someones help about the scripting. Thank you much.

Posté Mon 28 Nov 11 @ 5:37 am
it's already built into vdj script, so you can just toggle it on off

wheel_mode : change the mode of the jogwheel between: "jog", "search", "loop_move", "loop_out", "loop_in", "browser", or use +1 and -1 to cycle through all modes. You can select from a subset using a syntax like 'wheel_mode "loop_move,loop_in,loop_out" +1'.

http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/VDJscript_verbs.html

Posté Mon 28 Nov 11 @ 5:41 am
You can use:

1) wheel_mode 'search' while_pressed

OR

2) wheel_mode 'jog,search' +1

The first command will make the jogwheel to move you inside the song while your button is pressed.

The second command will toggle your jogwheel between searching the song and normal jog.

PS: Don't confuse jog with vinyl_mode. Vinyl mode will still apply if it's enabled even if you set wheel_mode to "jog"

PS2: On some controllers you may need to change the touchwheel_touch mapping to:

wheel_mode 'jog' ? touchwheel_touch : nothing

Posté Mon 28 Nov 11 @ 5:46 am
Thank you so much for your help guys, and this is what i have done i totally changed my jogwheel function to fit working in scratching by having autoplay on jogwheel while scratching and i want to add the options which i have posted above (which is Track Search). Kindly see the below scirpts i have made and where do you think i should add the track search? do still need to add the scripts in jogwheel itself or just in button will be enough? Sorry guys...

This is the jogwheel:
<map value="JOGWHEEL_1" action="var 'acue' ? down ? hot_cue ? goto_cue & play : nothing : hot_cue ? goto_cue & play : set_cue : jogwheel" deck="1" />

Buttons for the jogwheel browser mode
<map value="CENSOR_1" action="wheel_mode 'browser' ? deck left wheel_mode 'jog' & deck right wheel_mode 'jog' : deck left wheel_mode 'browser' & deck right wheel_mode 'browser'" deck="1" />

Another buttons that toggle the autoplay and the vinyl mode:
<map value="SCRUB_SKIP_1" action="var '$shift' ? toggle 'acue' : vinyl_mode" />

And this is where i'm getting stack i need another button which need the jogwheel for the track search commands.

Thank you.

Posté Mon 28 Nov 11 @ 6:09 am
PS:

If you want to search tracks on the browser (and not a location inside a loaded track on the deck) then you should map your button to:

wheel_mode 'jog,browser' +1

Posté Mon 28 Nov 11 @ 6:42 am
Thank you for your help and the above scripts is working great and perfect, I have already done the browser, i just need the jogwheel to search portion of the loaded tracks (forward & backward) where i should add that? any thoughts?

Posté Mon 28 Nov 11 @ 7:02 am
"wheel_mode "jog, browser, search" +1". If you want to cycle between them with one button

Posté Mon 28 Nov 11 @ 7:19 am
Thank you so much for your help guys you're great. This is what i have done, I have made to cycle them in one button. Is there any restrictions in making the cycle commands? because i'm trying to include the "vinyl_mode" in the cycle but it is not working. I prepared to drop/remove the "browser" and replace it with "vinyl_mode" because vinyl is much more important to me in the jogwheel if only 3-Commands are allowed in a cycle but i don't get it right.

This is what i have done:
<map value="SCRUB_SKIP_1" action="var '$shift' ? toggle 'acue' : wheel_mode 'jog,browser,search' +1 : vinyl_mode" />

I'm trying to include the "vinyl_mode" in the cycle:
<map value="SCRUB_SKIP_1" action="var '$shift' ? toggle 'acue' : wheel_mode 'jog,vinyl_mode,browser,search' +1" /> (Not Working)
<map value="SCRUB_SKIP_1" action="var '$shift' ? toggle 'acue' : wheel_mode 'vinyl_mode,browser,search' +1" /> (Not Working)
I'm not so sure if this sounds right or funny but i did try to remove the "browser" and replace it with "vinyl_mode" if only 3-Commands allowed in a cycle but still not working.

Another question is, could it be possible to map the led of the "Cycle" commands like in the above working scripts?
Something that goes like this: jog-(no led) browser-(led blinking) search-(led steady on)? any thoughts on this?

Thank you so much for you.

Posté Tue 29 Nov 11 @ 12:16 am
you were close... it is just that "vinyl_mode" isnt a part of the wheel_mode script, do to get it on the same button is a little more tricky... you will need a couple of variables to set that, probably the easiest option is to set a standard cycle to do it for you

var '$shift' ? toggle 'acue' : cycle 'jog_mode' 4 & var 'jog_mode' 1 ? vinyl_mode 1 : var 'jog_mode' 2 ? vinyl_mode 0 & wheel_mode 'browser' : var 'jog_mode' 3 ? wheel_mode 'search' : wheel_mode 'jog'

then your led can query the cycle position, or you can query the actual actions themselves, I suggest you have

jog - no led
vinyl_mode - led on
browser - slow blink
search - fast blink (this seems like the most dangerous setting in a performance, so should have the most attention from it's warning).

wheel_mode 'search' 1 ? blink 300ms : wheel_mode 'browser' 1 ? blink : vinyl_mode 1 ? on : wheel_mode 'jog' 1 ? off : off

let me know if it doesn't work..

Posté Tue 29 Nov 11 @ 1:53 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :

PS: Don't confuse jog with vinyl_mode. Vinyl mode will still apply if it's enabled even if you set wheel_mode to "jog"

Posté Tue 29 Nov 11 @ 10:00 am
Let's explain something:

1) Wheel mode can have the following values:
JOG
BROWSER
LOOP_MOVE
LOOP_IN
LOOP_OUT
SEARCH

Now, the "JOG" can have two values:
CD MODE (vinyl_mode off)
VINYL MODE (vinyl_mode on)

When you cycle the wheel modes VDJ automatically remembers if your jogs are in "CD" or in "VINYL" mode.
In other words, if you have your jogs set to "VINYL" and cycle them with WHEEL MODE when you switch back to "JOG" VDJ will have them set in "VINYL" again, not in "CD"

If you want a button to cycle all the possible ways then you have to write the following:

wheel_mode 'browser' ? wheel_mode 'loop_move' : wheel_mode 'loop_move' ? wheel_mode 'loop_in' : wheel_mode 'loop_in' ? wheel_mode 'loop_out' : wheel_mode 'loop_out' ? wheel_mode 'search' : wheel_mode 'search' ? wheel_mode 'jog' & vinyl_mode on : wheel_mode 'jog' ? vinyl_mode on ? vinyl_mode off : wheel_mode 'browser'

In your case however the mapping should be:

<map value="SCRUB_SKIP_1" action="var '$shift' ? toggle 'acue' : wheel_mode 'browser' ? wheel_mode 'search' : wheel_mode 'search' ? wheel_mode 'jog' & vinyl_mode on : wheel_mode 'jog' ? vinyl_mode on ? vinyl_mode off : wheel_mode 'browser'" />

However I believe that it would be better for you to map it with TWO buttons:
<map value="SCRUB_SKIP_1" action="var '$shift' ? toggle 'acue' : wheel_mode 'jog,browser,search' +1" />
<map value="WHATEVER_BUTTON" action="var '$shift' ? vinyl_mode : ORIGINAL BUTTON CODE" />

Posté Tue 29 Nov 11 @ 10:19 am
Thank you for your help guys, I have already done scripting and it is great on the suggested scripts are working perfectly and it is nice to know that somebody like you guys on this forums put your effort to help some VDJ user like me who is just new to scripting and trying to learn and explore more. Yes you are right Phantom it is better to have the 2-buttons instead of 1, at the beginning i was confused on the CD/vinyl mode as in when you cycle the wheel modes VDJ automatically remembers if your jogs are in "CD" or in "VINYL" and cycle them with WHEEL MODE when you switch back to "JOG" VDJ will have them set in "VINYL" again.

By the way Synthet1c, i have tested the scripts you have and it working fine, the led mapping is great this is what i have done:
<map value="LED_SCRUB_SKIP_1" action="toggle 'acue' ? blink 1800ms : wheel_mode 'search' 1 ? blink 160ms : wheel_mode 'browser' 1 ? blink 800ms : vinyl_mode 1 ? on : wheel_mode 'jog' 1 ? off : off" /> this is clear for me on how it works.

But i'm puzzled the way you did your scripts but it is good to know that you can cycle commands that is not belongs together it is a bit tricky but it is a nice idea and i can use this in some cases. The var jog_mode 1,2,3,4 and the vinyl_mode works as on & off in the scripts is that right? Can you please have a little preview/explain on this for me to understand? hope you don't mind. Thank you so much.

Posté Tue 29 Nov 11 @ 11:41 am
you can cycle anything you like, it works the same way as a toggle shift, but you can have multiple variables set with the one button. basically "cycle 'my_var' 4" gives you 4 states you can query for an action, they are

var 'my_var' 1 ?
var 'my_var' 2 ?
var 'my_var' 3 ?
var 'my_var' 0 ?

what that script is doing is just setting the appropriote mode in the 4 spaces created by the cycle

var 'my_var' 1 ? turn on vinyl mode (this should probably have"'wheel_mode 'jog'" included as well)
var 'my_var' 2 ? turn off vinyl mode and set browser mode
var 'my_var' 3 ? set search mode
var 'my_var' 0 ? set jog mode

so the ammended code should now be

cycle 'jog_mode' 4 & var 'jog_mode' 1 ? vinyl_mode 1 & wheel_mode 'jog' : var 'jog_mode' 2 ? vinyl_mode 0 & wheel_mode 'browser' : var 'jog_mode' 3 ? wheel_mode 'search' : wheel_mode 'jog'

ps you can also cycle backwards if you need with "cycle 'jog_mode' -4"

Posté Tue 29 Nov 11 @ 12:03 pm
Nice Bro, this is great... points taken... again it needs a day to practice and test scripts in order to learn. thank you so much for the clear explanation.

Posté Tue 29 Nov 11 @ 3:33 pm
Hey guys,

I can't write script at all and I've never mapped any controller.
I have a Numark Mixtrack Quad and I just would like to have the "fast forward and backward" function on it when I use the jog wheel while I hold the shift button. Can you help me how to do it? (just like needle search function on other controllers)
Thanks

Posté Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 2:10 pm
CDJ 400 loop issue

Hi everyone,
I am having lot of problems with the mapping
I am using a cdj 400 and vdj8; the issue is related to the loop
When a loop is on I would like to press the button "reloop/exit" to have the light of the jog wheel blinking fast and ( still pushing the button "reloop/exit ) if I move the jog wheel to move the loop + or - 1 beat depending if I move it right or left
What are the button I need to map and its mapping?

Many many thx in advance

Posté Sat 18 Jul 15 @ 2:17 pm
This thread is old and has nothing to do with your issue. Home users have limited or no controller mapping privileges.

Posté Sun 19 Jul 15 @ 12:08 pm
NiclasPHome userMember since 2015
Hey im new with Vdj, can someone tell me where i shall put the script lines cesarcastillo have made for the jog wheels.
A picture of it would be fine.

Posté Sat 03 Oct 15 @ 11:49 am
user9166401 wrote :
I have a Numark Mixtrack Quad and I just would like to have the "fast forward and backward" function on it when I use the jog wheel while I hold the shift button. Can you help me how to do it? (just like needle search function on other controllers)
Thanks

set 'shift' 1 while_pressed & set '$shift' 1 while_pressed & wheel_mode 'search' while_pressed

Posté Sun 04 Oct 15 @ 1:45 pm
I know you are trying to help, but that user posted his question over a year ago. A little late.

LOCKED BY AMAHM, because the majority of the info is dated.

Posté Mon 05 Oct 15 @ 8:05 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)