Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet Unable to install / run VDJ Home/Free on Windows 7

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I am trying to install Virtual DJ Home/free on Windows 7/32 bit in a corporate environment and not having much success.

In this environment, the target user does not have administrative privileges. Per advice from other Forum posts, I see that VDJ must be installed as the user under whom it will be used. So I download the VDJ Home installer and run it as the target user, right clicking on it and selecting "Run as administrator".

I do a Typical install, but unselect the Ask toolbar options. It seems to install fine.

However, I notice that the shortcuts for running VDJ and uninstalling VDJ *only appear under the administrator desktop / start menu* -- they do not appear in the account of the regular/non-administrator domain account that I just installed from. Additionally, the admin user had a VirtualDJ folder tree created under the admin's Documents folder -- it wasn't created under the target user's Documents folder.

But I'll try anyway: as the target user, I manually navigate to C:\Program Files\VirtualDJ and double click on virtualdj_home.exe. When I do that, I get a popup window that says:

Installation Error!
Please reinstall VirtualDJ from the official installer.
If you have multiple user accounts on this computer, make sure you
install from the account you are using, not from Administrator
[OK]

Bummer.

I see other forum posts here that simply recommend copying over <admin documents directory>/VirtualDJ to the target user's Documents directory. So I tried that -- ensuring that the target user has full control over the copy in their Documents (and that "read only" is not checked for the entire tree).

But I still get the same popup error window as listed above.

I see still other forum posts here that "recommend" turning off UAC (is it recommended, or mandated? it's not clear...). We're in a corporate environment, so disabling UAC is not a possibility here. But just for completeness, I tried it. I logged in as admin, disabled UAC, rebooted, logged in as my target user, right clicked on the installer and selected "Run as administrator". Note that it did not prompt me for an admin password (because UAC is disabled!), but ran the installer anyway. ...and then eventually failed because it didn't have permissions to write to C:\Program Files.

So I've now re-enabled UAC, but am out of ideas.

How do I get VDJ Home usable by a non-administrator user?

Thanks!

Posté Fri 30 Mar 12 @ 7:11 am
ddennHome userMember since 2013
I am having the same issue. We are on a network environment that does not give users admin level access. Is there a solution to this issue?

Posté Wed 26 Jun 13 @ 11:55 am
The reason that they don't give you admin rights is that they do not want and/or permit users to install unauthorised software. This is a typical restriction in schools, colleges, businesses, etc. VirtualDJ cannot be installed without administrative rights.

VirtualDJ is also not designed for or intended for network installations. It's stand-alone DJ software intended for installation on a DJ's own personal laptop or desktop computer for their own personal DJ use.

You should install VirtualDJ Home FREE on your own personal computer at home.

Posté Wed 26 Jun 13 @ 12:55 pm
If the Full Pro version is purchased would we be able to install on a single network computer for non admin rights user(s) to use?

Posté Wed 26 Jun 13 @ 1:14 pm
It might help if you explain who you are, and why you want to install VDJ on a networked machine!

In theory an admin could install VDJ and make it accessible to all users, but you'd need to check if the EULA allows that type of use.

Posté Wed 26 Jun 13 @ 1:33 pm
No, the End User License Agreement forbids this. A VirtualDJ license cannot be shared between multiple users. It's for your own personal use only. VirtualDJ Home FREE is also for non-commercial personal use only (I.e: Installation on your home computer.)

You will also need administrative permission on the computer where you are installing the software, which would normally be the case for your own personal computer.

Posté Wed 26 Jun 13 @ 1:47 pm
I am compute tech at a school. Our ASB office is (was )wanting to use the Virtual DJ software for mixing music for rallies and football games. The reason for several users is that the people that would be doing the mixes are students and aren't given admin access as well as the staff, and it may not be just one person. Each person has there own accounts for network security.

I'm not familiar with DJ software and so I'm trying to find a solution for them. This is the piece of software that they said they wanted. I will be telling them they need to find another solution. Thanks for the input.

Posté Wed 26 Jun 13 @ 4:04 pm
The simple solution is to create a central DJ login account. This could be a network user whose password you change regularly or a local user on that computer only with no network access.

Install the software while logged in as this user (Right-click -> Run as administrator and enter appropriate credentials.) Once installed, the normal non-admin user will be able to run it without admin credentials.

NOTE: If you want to use VirtualDJ for this purpose, you will need to purchase it. VirtualDJ Home FREE is for personal home use only and cannot be used for the above purpose. The purchased license can be installed on one main computer plus a second computer as a backup on stand-by (This cannot be used by another DJ at the same time as the first.) For multiple DJ's, you will need a license for each computer.

Once installed, users could also use their own local network login accounts (Admin privileges are only needed to install the software, not run it), but each new user would need to copy across My Documents\VirtualDJ home folder from the initial install (VirtualDJ is designed/intended for single user use, so will not do this automatically, and you will get an 'invalid skin' error if this folder is missing - See http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Invalid%20Skin%20Error.html )

Posté Thu 27 Jun 13 @ 6:10 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)