Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet I want to make my own tripod scrim [PROJECT COMPLETED] - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hey everyone.

I want to make my own tripod scrim. I can get the material but I don't know the measurements.

I know a lot of you have scrims for your tripods so I thought i'd ask...

What are the measurements and shape so I can make my own? I would like to cover at least 2 sides. I don't want one sided scrims. Covering all 3 sides is nice but not extremely necessary.

All help is welcomed.

Posté Mon 11 Feb 13 @ 2:52 pm
The ones I bought are 83" / \ top down each hem to the bottom and 43" across the bottom hem to hem. The hem is 2 3/4".

I use the Ultimate Stands and maxed out height these scrims are too big. Maybe you can use an old sheet for a templet and get a better custom fit for your stands.

Also, I'm not sure the proper method of attaching the top, I just set the speaker over the material to hold it but its a bitch lifting off. There's got to be a better way to secure the top.

Posté Mon 11 Feb 13 @ 3:39 pm
Thanks ECoast.

You have the 7ft scrim. I can't believe it's too big. I thought that would fit pretty well on an Ultimate stand.

The sheet is a GREAT idea. Does tour scrim cover 1 side, 2 sides or all 3 sides? Also, is the bottom straight across or does it have points or angles?

I'm asking because i'm thinking of making a scrim that covers 2 sides.

This may sound pushy but could you take a picture of the scrim laid out on the ground so I can see what it looks like NOT on a stand? I really want to make some and as soon as I have the idea of HOW TO, I will.

Posté Mon 11 Feb 13 @ 6:07 pm
You have the skims for light stands, not speaker stands. How do you measure stretch material? I only have the one sided ones.

Posté Mon 11 Feb 13 @ 8:00 pm
Hey AMAHM...

How are you doing? Hope all is well with you.

I may need to do the 1 sided ones if I can't get the measurements for the double sided ones. I want to make double sided scrims so I can have the stands up against a wall. In order to do that, I will have to have the scrim around all 3 legs of the stand so I can have 1 leg pointed out and the other two flat against the wall.

How much does yours stretch? If you extend your stands all the way up, does the scrim reach the top (right under the speaker) or the middle (Tension knob in middle of stand).

This info will help me because I will ask you how many inches the scrim is from bottom to top when it is NOT stretched out and how many inches the base is when it's NOT stretched out.

Think you can help me out with that info?

Posté Mon 11 Feb 13 @ 8:32 pm
Would love to help you out, but I am playing now, get off at 2, and scheduled for surgery at 7. They pick me up at 5:30. I'm not worried about sleep, they have good drugs. Well....maybe a little worried, I do want to wake up. I use wire ties to secure the top, as I have the Ultimate stands with the locking mechanism in the middle. If you give me a PM in a couple of days, I can help you out. On the other hand, is it going to be economical to build them yourself? I know the Scrim King, maybe I can talk to him about extending the show price for you. All the time on research, material, labor, and we can't forget mistakes (unless you are also a seamstress). Hey, I understand the satisfaction of doing it yourself, I just like to look at all the options.

Posté Mon 11 Feb 13 @ 9:23 pm
djBAVPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I'm also looking into making my own and saving big $$$!

I plan to first use a regular sheet (or plastic shower curtain) for a pattern as the Double sided could be a little tricky to get the angles.
(Although the angles may not matter because of the stretch.)

So far these are the dimensions I have found for the commercial ones:
(Of course cut the size to the smaller numbers & don't forget to also add a couple of inches to each side for the hem.)

Single side Scrim to cover your speaker and lighting stands.
Stretch factor :
Height 4 ft. to 7 ft.
Bottom feet: 3.5 ft. to 4.5 ft.

Single side Scrim to cover medium duty lighting stands.
Stretch factor :
Height 7 ft. to 11.5ft.
Bottom feet: 4.3 ft. to 5.5 ft.

Double side Scrim to cover your speaker and lighting stands.
Stretch factor :
Height 4 ft. to 7 ft.
Bottom feet: 3.5 ft. to 4.5 ft. (each side)

Double side Scrim to cover medium duty lighting stands.
Stretch factor :
Height 7 ft. to 11.5ft.
Bottom feet: 4.3 ft. to 5.5 ft. (each side)

Posté Mon 11 Feb 13 @ 11:06 pm
I've got single sided, two sided would be ideal.

Posté Tue 12 Feb 13 @ 12:44 am
ECoast.....

Great! Thanks buddy.

I hope someone with a double side scrim can do the same thing you did. My light stands extend to 9ft but I don't always extend them all the way.
I'm sure this is an easy project if I could just see the bottom of a double sided scrim the way you have yours laid out.

If not, I may just have to do one sided scrims. I COULD make one sided scrims and simply use 4 of them OR sew two of them together but it would be much easier to just see a double sided scrim.

Posté Tue 12 Feb 13 @ 4:11 pm
IDEA

LightBulb Moment

I can measure out the one sided scrim, double it and "BAM" I should be good!

I just did it with a piece of paper to see what the angles would be on the bottom and now I know what it should look like.

For anyone following this thread, this is what I have done so far.

1) cut a piece of paper to a triangle matching the pic ECoast provided (Scaled down of course).
2) Put them together to get the correct angles.
3) made myself happy that I have gotten this far. Lol

I know the fabric stretches about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 feet so I know think I now how to measure it for my stands. I will add a 1 inch hem all the way around with openings at each end and in the middle to form "pockets" for the legs to fit into.

I will make a hole at the top and reinforce that hole with a 1 inch hem folded in half for strength.

If i'm missing something PLEASE let me know.

I still hope that someone with a double sided scrim can chime in though.

Posté Tue 12 Feb 13 @ 4:44 pm
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
Watch out....the material you use, should be fire/ heat resistand in some way....in case you want to lighten the cover with a bulb...

greetz
rob

Posté Wed 13 Feb 13 @ 2:46 am
I will be using the same material I used for my DJ Booth (Fire retardant Spandex/Lycra).

I have my measurements. My stands actually extend 8ft. The scrim will be 68" from top to bottom and 48" for the legs (24"x2).

This allows me to max out my stand OR have it at 6.5' and still be taut.

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to make 4 pieces and sew two of them together making a double sided scrim with a seam down the center or simply make 4 pieces to use as one sided OR 2 sided when using both on 1 stand OR one large piece that is double sided with no seam down the center.

All things to ponder...

Again, i'm still open to ideas.

Posté Wed 13 Feb 13 @ 2:19 pm
Hey djcity,
Did you order the Fire retardant Spandex/Lycra on line or did you find it locally?
The stores around me don't have the fire retardant spandex.

Posté Wed 13 Feb 13 @ 8:44 pm
djBAV wrote :
Hey djcity,
Did you order the Fire retardant Spandex/Lycra on line or did you find it locally?
The stores around me don't have the fire retardant spandex.

Local fabric shop. You can find it online but it's expensive. The dude that owns the fabric shop in my area is a good guy and his prices are GREAT! I mean SUPER DUPER GREAT!!!

Posté Thu 14 Feb 13 @ 10:05 am

Posté Thu 14 Feb 13 @ 10:46 am
Ok.

Scrims are too expensive and my light stands are of an odd measurement. The speaker stand scrim is closest to the right size but it's 6 inches too big at the base (Legs of the stand).

The scrim fits 3.5ft at smallest point. My stands legs only extend to 3ft.

This has led me to make my own and I am nearly finished. All I have left to do is make my hems, make pockets for the legs to fit in and make a hole on top to secure the scrim to the top of the pole.

The GREAT thing about this project is that so far, it has only cost me $26 for the fabric and about 20 minutes to measure, mark and cut.

After taking the scrims to the tailor tomorrow at a cost of about $12 to do the hem, I will have 2 custom double sided scrims for less than half the price of 1 single sided scrim.

I will post pics as soon as i'm done with them.

Posté Sun 17 Feb 13 @ 8:09 pm
My scrims will be done today and in use tonight. I will post pics of the finished product in this thread.

I will start a new thread when they are completed as I will no longer need help to make my own tripod scrims.

Posté Wed 20 Feb 13 @ 10:31 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Just keep it in this thread, keep the flow going, seems a bit daft to open another thread.

Posté Wed 20 Feb 13 @ 12:19 pm
I'm kinda happy with the way this project came out.

What do you think...

Posté Wed 20 Feb 13 @ 12:36 pm
tayla wrote :
Just keep it in this thread, keep the flow going, seems a bit daft to open another thread.

I want to start a new thread because the new thread will be about the finished scrims and how I could help others should they need help.

Posté Wed 20 Feb 13 @ 12:58 pm
54%