Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet When Increasing BPMs on VDJ 8 Sound Quality drops ...! - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

While I was mixing my songs (Beat-matching) at home for my next Gig using VDJ 8, I noticed something didn't sound right ... On the left deck on VDJ I had a song playing at 135 BPM, I loaded another song on the right deck which was at 137 BPM, I pressed sync to the song on the left so the BPMs on both songs would be the same, increasing it 2 BPMs, so I could beat match them at the proper moment, I noticed once I increased BPMs to the song on the left the sound quality & bit of the volume suddenly dropped significantly, I tried adjusting the configuration on the options & the audio (Master Tempo & Key Lock) but I can't seem to find the solution to this problem ... Has anyone else encountered similar problems when changing a songs BPM ? Is there any solutions or adjustments I can do in the configurations ???

Posté Thu 26 Jun 14 @ 8:29 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
V7 had the same problem at anything other than quartz lock tracks lost some (perceived) clarity, so to keep things equal I always made sure that all tracks were not quartz locked, I haven't played on a big system to try V8 in this manor yet.

Posté Thu 26 Jun 14 @ 8:51 am
I've been using VDJ 7 for a while & I haven't noticed any drop in sound quality when increasing BPMs to a song, at least at the extent that I noticed it on VDJ 8, it sounds a bit faster on VDJ 7 depending on the BPMs that are being increased, on the other hand on virtual VDJ 8 the song doesn't sound that it's going faster probably because of the Key Lock but I noticed on a ( Big Stereo System ) that sound quality does drop, when the song is playing on it's original BPMs the sound is fantastic, when I increase the speed, even at 1 or 2 BPMs the quality drops to a noticeable level, I'm still trying to find a solution ...?

Posté Thu 26 Jun 14 @ 9:25 am
What's the bit rate and file type of these tracks?

Posté Thu 26 Jun 14 @ 9:53 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
@BlackCat

does this also happens when you sync vice versa ?

Posté Thu 26 Jun 14 @ 10:20 am
the file type is mp3 and the bit rate 320 Kbps ... So far I have noticed this problem when increasing BPMs, when the song is faster in speed, I have also decreased the BPMs in a song but a similar problem hasn't occured ...

Posté Thu 26 Jun 14 @ 10:26 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
what i ment is does this happens also when you press sync to the deck were the track is NOT playing ( in your example right deck)

Posté Thu 26 Jun 14 @ 10:28 am
To be more specific to your question, VDJ 8 has a special feature, when increasing BPMs the Key stays the same, in other words, although the beat of the song goes faster the vocals (singing) & the harmonics of the song are stabilized, so that it won't be apparent that the song was altered in speed in anyway, but this can be accomplished only if the proper selections are chosen in the configuration... 1st I tried having Master Tempo activated, the harmonics & the vocals remain the same while increasing or decreasing BPMs, but the sound quality drops so does a bit of the volume, when playing in a club or a bar at large volumes (Decibels) it is noticeable ... When I deactivate Master Tempo & activate Key Lock I've noticed another problem, while Beat Matching, when reaching the 3rd or 4rth song the vocals sound distorted & strange, like the Key has kept the (speed-tempo) of the 1st song & passed it on to the the other songs that follow ... I was wondering if I was doing something wrong with my choices in the configuration (options-audio) ...? & if there was a solution to this problem ...? Our maybe, because VDJ 8 is new software it might still have a few issues to solve in this area ...? I really don't know, that is why I took the privilege to bring this up as a topic, to see if anyone else has encountered similar problems ... Thank you for your attention & your time RobRoy :-) ...!

Posté Fri 27 Jun 14 @ 3:55 pm
At my last Gig (last night) I deactivated both choices, because I wasn't sure what the outcome would be if I applied one of the two choices ...

Posté Fri 27 Jun 14 @ 4:02 pm
confirmed, the drop in sound quality is true, and it happens when the "master tempo" is enabled and if you increase or decrease the pitch a bit (also happens in v7) the high and some mid frequencies start to sound distorted (like some small cuts), and this cause a more opaque sound.

if you have some good headphones (with a good frequency range) you can notice this bug doing some tests at home.

1 - find a song which contains some high frequencies or some high voice tones in mid frequencies.
2 - kill "low" and "mid" in the EQ.
3 - set "high" in the EQ to the max.
4 - increase the gain of the song or the volume in your headphones.
5 - with "master tempo" enabled, increase the pitch a bit (like 0.5% or 1%).
6 - increase and decrease it back to 0 in order to compare the sound of the high and mid frequencies.
7 - now you will notice that the high and mid frequencies start to sound distorted (like some small cuts), and this cause a more opaque sound.

Posté Sun 29 Jun 14 @ 10:36 am
What quality setting do you have for master tempo?

In VirtualDJ v7, you should set it to Advanced Stretching for best results.

In VirtualDJ v8, you should set pitchQuality to 2 unless you are scratch DJ and performance of scratching is more important, in which case you should set it to 1

NOTE: Even with the best algorithm it will never sound exactly the same as the original when you have altered either the tempo or key of the song, especially at extreme ranges.

Posté Sun 29 Jun 14 @ 12:38 pm
I'm not sure if this issue has anything to do with master tempo or not. There is something clearly going on with the left channel. Not the left player, the left channel. It is hard to hear in the club, because both channels are merged, and the same thing comes out of all speakers. However, doing my mobile gigs, I have noticed a decrease in quality in the left channel. I thought it was the speaker, so I changed the speaker. I thought it was the controller, so I changed the controller. I spent all day yesterday trying to pinpoint this, and did not check with master tempo off. Maybe it is the master tempo, as I always have it on. However, some of my tracks bpms, were original, meaning I did not pitch change them while playing. At times, when testing, pushing to high volume, it seemed to kick in, that's why I thought it was the speakers. These speakers did not do this when hooked to the right channel. Try the test as outlined above, or any test with just the left channel playing, and it sounds like doo doo. I will try doing the week with master tempo off, but 7 did not sound like this. try this with speakers, as you need some volume

Posté Sun 29 Jun 14 @ 2:41 pm
"...What quality setting do you have for master tempo?..."

of course with advanced mode in VDJ7 and pitchQuality 2 in VDJ 8, and in both versions I can reproduce the same issue.

you don't need high pitch range to notice it, just +0.5% or +1%, please read what I've wrote above.

Posté Sun 29 Jun 14 @ 8:08 pm
Master tempo is yes, and pitchquality is 2. What I'm saying is, the left channel sounds bad, even if you don't change the pitch.

Posté Sun 29 Jun 14 @ 9:27 pm
RadiOnlineChile -> I've noticed this with some Electro-E.B.M. (Electro Body Music) songs which contain a lot of High & Middle range frequencies, with & without headphones with a sound card 16/24 Bit 96000 Hz played on a High End stereo system, this was an easy task do to the fact that my Midi Controller has Kill switches next to each Frequency level, so it was easy to Kill Mid & Lower frequencies in an instant & Max the High ... The music does sound noticeably distorted ...

Support Staff (Teamer VDJ) -> The setting on Master Tempo is just enabled "yes" & nothing else, I've also tried a combination enabling & disabling AutoPitchRange, but the sound quality still seems to drop along with part of the volume whenever I increase or decrease BPMs, even by 1 or 2 BPMs ... Pitch quality is by default on 2 & that is where it still is, scratching is not a concern for me, I never do, Beat Matching is much more important to me ...! I have in mind that the song will never sound exactly the same whenever I alter it in anyway, but the result with MasterTempo is so noticeable, that on my last Gig I preferred to have it disabled & let the song sound a bit faster, using the flanger effect to cover the point where I increase BPMs to the song playing, so the sudden speed increase won't be noticed, at least then sound quality is much better ...

A Man and his Music -> Come to think of it now, when I first noticed this problem I was mixing my songs for my next Gig & I was sitting closer to the left speaker (Left channel), so the sound quality that came out of it was more (intense) & outweighed the sound that came out of the right speaker (right channel), another friend of mine Who is also a DJ has noticed this issue, he explained that it probably had something to do with the sampling of each sound file, I mostly use files that are 16 Bit 44100 Hz & VDJ 8 is by default at 24/48000 Hz, a conflict occurs somewhere in between, causing this problem, although I've changed the setting from 48000 to 44100 Hz in VDJ (Config-> Performance) the problem continues to exist ...

Posté Mon 30 Jun 14 @ 9:49 am
I would like to thank everyone for their time & attention & hope that a solution to this problem will be found soon, it might be a small adjustment (setting) in the Configuration or maybe because we are dealing with New & Fresh software some improvements need to be made ... VDJ is an amazing program & with a few improvements it can easily reach it's perfection !!!

Posté Mon 30 Jun 14 @ 9:57 am
I can confirm the sound drop, when changing the pitch.

Posté Tue 01 Jul 14 @ 12:17 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
A Man and His Music wrote :
I can confirm the sound drop, when changing the pitch.

unbelievable that nobody testing caught such a school boy howler of a bug.

Posté Wed 02 Jul 14 @ 8:47 am
Thanks for your input.

Posté Wed 02 Jul 14 @ 12:56 pm
Everyday I check back in to these posts to see the new complaints.

This is awful..to wait all these years and have nothing but complaints...new complaints...day after day..

"well, you have to set this here, and change this configuration to that and make sure you're holding your headphones in your left hand.."

Please...waay too much for the consumer to have to do to play their music.

Should not have been released yet...period..

Posté Wed 02 Jul 14 @ 1:55 pm
43%