Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Can Virtualdj be the best? - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I am happy with VDJ 8, it is a great improvement over VDJ 7.
However, in my estimation, two areas still impede its adoption as the number one dj software.

They are:
1. Appearance, VDJ still looks a little toy like.
2. The threat from Traktor remix decks, in combination with something like an F1, and a remix set.

To take the crown as the best software the sampler in VDJ 8 needs a dedicated controller, and a clear development policy to neutralise Traktors only advantage.

At the moment I need all the help I can get to incorporate a F1 into my sets. We, the users of VDJ 8 want to take on Serato, and Traktor, and beat their user base with the quality of our djing. We need comprehensive tutorials on how to get the most out of the sampler, and an answer to the remix sets. I have got some sample packs from the VDJ website which might offer a challenge to Traktor. I would be prepared to buy quality sample packs, as I wish to financially support Atomix.

Posté Thu 12 Mar 15 @ 10:00 am
1. Use a different skin
2. Agreed - but the VDJ 8 "sampler" (it's actually more like a player) is improved from VDJ 7 in most respects.

There are plenty of sample packs available (free and for sale) around the web.

Posté Thu 12 Mar 15 @ 10:19 am
I use different skins depending on what equipment I'm using. However I would prefer to use a quality default skin. Maybe a universal solution is not possible?

I might be a little backward..h'm.

What's happened is that lately I have been running Traktor plus an F1, and I think the remix decks are awesome, I want to do the same in VDJ 8. As yet I have been fearful of installing NI drivers on my main laptop because they might harm VDJ. Hence I have no idea what I can achieve using the vdj sampler with a F1. Currently I'm controlling the VDJ 8 sampler with an Akai lpd8.
I'm greedy..I want more, and more.

Posté Thu 12 Mar 15 @ 10:27 am
Define "quality"... :-)

As the sayings go - one mans meat is another mans poison, and you can't please everyone.

The great thing about being able to use skins is that you're not stuck with one look. With Traktor and Serato software, it's like it or lump it. It is what it is.

With VDJ (and some other DJ software) you can use a skin that suits your tastes, your needs, your controller. You can even use a completely custom skin that no one else has.

As for the sampler, yes I'd like to see more features (so it lives up to the name "sampler") but I'm in no rush. I've got other software I can use for production.

I think the main advantage of the Remix Decks is the presentation, when compared to VDJ. They look nice and display the samples better. They've got waveforms for starters.

If Atomix had taken on board the idea of using decks as samplers then we might be a bit closer. We'd have up to 99 displays of waveforms, with full EQ, filter, FX & level on every slot.

Atomix have just added to ability to route the sampler master output through a deck, so that's a step in the right direction.

Posté Thu 12 Mar 15 @ 10:47 am
Well as a video deejay I need more and better video effects as well as transitions......... The rest is second fiddle to me.

I wish I could make our sampler the "master deck" though.........

Posté Thu 12 Mar 15 @ 11:03 am
My problem might be that I have little prodution support software, a shortage of time, limited funds, and maybe a lack of creative ability.
Hence I cannont be on the cutting edge, I trail a little, to a lot behind.
But I want to be on the cutting edge..lol.

Posté Thu 12 Mar 15 @ 11:13 am
In some cases I think that effects could be samples. Traktor remix packs use this interesting method, which is very effective in conjunction with a filter effect applied to the sample.
I do karaoke sometimes so VDJ 8 is almost perfect for my needs. This is far less demanding than video djing.

Posté Thu 12 Mar 15 @ 11:22 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
bigron1 wrote :
To take the crown as the best software the sampler in VDJ 8 needs a dedicated controller

Unfortunately (it's not unfortunate and here's why) No controller manufacturer could meet VDJs full capabilities, V8 is so open and adaptable you could always find a use for another set of HW dial and buttons.

As for features, the staff are pretty quick to adopt, users ideas if the ideas are free from issue (buttons to Colour tracks for example, they were wished for the next build they were there) But ideas have to be close to current HW capabilities or it seems exclusive and I'll guess one of the fundamental underpinnings of the product is "open to all"

But I do like to imagine at Atomix HQ they have a 96inch monitor, with IBM's Watson hooked up and 30 controllers.

For me VDJ is the best because it's so open, and mostly open to suggestion, but there are one or two hurdles to jump for the software for a user created content renaissance.
But the devs are busy, there's V8 bugs to squash and they've their own projects/ideas to develop.

Windows 10 and the Holo gigs will take (DJing in general) some interesting places, Holo gigs, tactile feed back gloves, and a xbox connect or 2. then maybe a virtual controller will match Virtual dj.

Posté Thu 12 Mar 15 @ 12:51 pm
I am in love with vdj - v8 lil more perfection and i believe it is and will be the future in djing esp for dance,edm,house djs any genre really but the features have been awesome for me spinning dance music very happy my serato is collecting dust on a shelf keep going vdj:)!

Posté Thu 12 Mar 15 @ 2:44 pm
So I hear alot of this. I need more of this, and I need more of that. We don't have enough samples. We don't have enough effects. V8 won't do a double backflip with a two and a half twist while drinking a pina colada. V8 won't do this. V8 won't do that. Well V8 does amazing things for me and my crowd numerous days a week. With out fail. So I'm thinkin' that you guys that are havin' all these big problems with V8, might want to take a look at your DJ or VJ abilities, instead of complaining about V8.

Posté Thu 12 Mar 15 @ 9:56 pm
Just a quick testimonial about all software in the world:

"There's always room for improvement"

Perhaps that's a testimonial for life itself!

Anyway... you can always keep the suggestions coming.
One of the key policies here is that we DO listen to our customers... ;)

Posté Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 2:15 am
I'm working tonight with my controller plus VDJ 8, and an F1!
Wish me luck.
Notes: Native Instruments supply a firmware updater which demands a microsoft package from 2013. I updated the F1 firmware on a spare windows pc because I'm frightened of VDJ being damaged. No drivers were required to operate the F1!!!! That's important to avoid conflicts. An instrument pack, project 8 I believe, seems to behave like the Traktor remix decks, with a few rough edges.
It looks like the best system I've ever had, but I want more..

Posté Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 9:56 am
Assuming you've got Traktor and some Remix Sets on your computer (as you have an F1) you can actually use the samples in VDJ 8.

Create a new sample bank in VDJ 8 then drag the FLAC samples from the pack location (on Windows it's C:\Users\yourname\My Music\Traktor\ContentImport\nameofremixset).

Posté Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 10:15 am
PS I mapped the 4 filter knobs to sample group volumes, hence I can control the volume of 8 channels independently.

Posté Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 10:15 am
Traktor is on my experimental laptop. I have had problems running both programs on one laptop.

Posté Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 10:19 am
Just copy the samples over then.

Pop the FLAC remix set files (in their folders) on to a USB flash drive or external HDD and then copy them into the VDJ 8 sample folder on the other computer.

Posté Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 10:22 am
My first evening with VDJ8, and a F1 went well.
On the fly I managed to create a whole new song using samples from a movie, and the instrument pack project 8.
It was OK.
I believe that on the fly music creation, and enhancement is the way forward.
Let them see it done live!
While I was Q point juggling I missed a few beats..it didn't matter.

I suppose my standards are different to some here, I was playing from 7.30 to 1.30am, and incorporating karaoke. Perfection is impossible. However my audience did not want me to leave, and were offering not inconsiderable amounts of money in an effort to extend the evening, plus I also gained more bookings. I was trained as an engineer, and lack a little flair, so well done Atomix, it was your software that shone.

Posté Sat 14 Mar 15 @ 7:37 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You could also enable smart cue and set the quantize level in the options to suit, this will keep your cue point drumming in time automatically.

Posté Sat 14 Mar 15 @ 11:20 am
Dont forget postfader effects not only for controllers but also for external mixers...game changer

Posté Sat 14 Mar 15 @ 12:17 pm
mrgrumpy1 wrote :
So I hear alot of this. I need more of this, and I need more of that. We don't have enough samples. We don't have enough effects. V8 won't do a double backflip with a two and a half twist while drinking a pina colada. V8 won't do this. V8 won't do that. Well V8 does amazing things for me and my crowd numerous days a week. With out fail. So I'm thinkin' that you guys that are havin' all these big problems with V8, might want to take a look at your DJ or VJ abilities, instead of complaining about V8.

Thank you for my first laugh of the day. I totally agree, and do not spend my time, thinking about what somebody else thinks about the software I use. I had a choice and picked the best software for me. It's the same thing that I do for all the purchases I make. I am not crying because the Honda Odyssey has a vacuum built in. I picked the Chrysler Town & Country because it has seats that fold into the floor. I already have several vacuum cleaners.

Posté Mon 16 Mar 15 @ 2:59 pm
20%