Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Any quality difference of tracks between DJ pools and online stores?

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

JayPackHome userMember since 2014
I am an aspiring audiophile, and I would certainly pay more money to have a higher quality track. But is there really a difference in quality between legit sources?

For example, I want to purchase the song "I feel Better (Feat. Nick Nikon) - Overwerk" and on BeatPort it is $1.49, but on Amazon it is $1.29 -- It is only a 20 cent difference, but I intend to purchase a couple hundred songs over the next month or two. But it's not really about the money anyways...

Is it worth the extra money for the "extra" quality? Or is it the same exact thing (quality, default gain, etc) by both sources? And in general, do DJ pools generally give identical quality music to BeatPort or Amazon Music? (One DJ pool I used was Late Night Record Pool, they have a HUGE variety).

I don't really know how to measure quality, so I need your guys' input and experience. Please fill in whatever knowledge I may be missing here, THANKS!!!

Posté Fri 31 Jul 15 @ 9:55 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
AFAIK Amazon is only selling .mp3.
Not the best choice for "an aspiring audiophile".

If you really want high quality audio files, I would only buy lossless audio formats like OGG, FLAC

Posté Fri 31 Jul 15 @ 10:49 am
And where do I purchase those? Are those files HUGE in size (like 20+ MB per song)?

Also, if we were to compare Amazon to BeatPort - same quality? Or not?

Posté Fri 31 Jul 15 @ 10:59 am
If they are both 320kbps, which is the best mp3 you can get, then they are the same. I suggest you do some research into the different audio codecs, if you want to be an audiophile. Your ears and your perception will be different from everyone else.

Posté Fri 31 Jul 15 @ 11:44 am

Posté Sat 01 Aug 15 @ 6:45 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
A Man and His Music wrote :
If they are both 320kbps, which is the best mp3 you can get, then they are the same...

Although today probably the difference is very small, this is not necessarily true. Especially in the early days of mp3 there were big quality differences depending on the encoder used to create the mp3's.

As for 256kbps vs 320kbps, yes, technically the 320kbps should be of higher quality, but on the other hand, the chances that anyone can actually hear the difference is very small.
Most properly set up double-blind listening tests show that around 192kbps it is not possible anymore to tell which is the mp3 and which is the original when comparing the 2.

The choice for buying on Beatport or Amazon (or iTunes) will probably mostly depend on the songs you want to buy though.
Many of the remixes available on Beatport are probably not available in the other stores, whereas many of the more popular music will be found in Amazon or iTunes but not on Beatport.

PachN wrote :
If you really want high quality audio files, I would only buy lossless audio formats like OGG, FLAC

Ogg as an extension is typically used for Ogg Vorbis, which is a lossy format similar to mp3 (although at the same bit-rate some better quality)

Posté Sat 01 Aug 15 @ 7:28 am
Is there any way to independently verify the ACTUAL bit rate, current and original format (IF it was converted), and quality? Are there any software programs out there that can do this? For small budgets (under $100), or for large budgets ($100+)?? I just want to see what options exist for someone who wants to actually verify the quality of tracks, and not just take Amazon's/BP's/iTunes'/Traxsource's word for it.... THANK YOU!!

Posté Sat 01 Aug 15 @ 10:56 am
no software could do that (Check if its been re-encoded) ... if you buy from a reputable seller AKA beatport amazon itunes promoonly etc they will sell you quality files or else they would be loosing business

only real thing u can do if you have concerns about a particular file is to take a listen and examine its frequency response if you are not getting 17k or more on the high end i would be concerned the track possibly could be a re-encode ... this can be done in any software that shows a spectrum analyzer ... winamp foobar2000 etc they are freeware.

also if u want files that are of the highest quality purchase looseless MP4, WAV, or FLAC files even though i think you may find that 320kbps mp3s are fine for most purposes unless you are running on studio quality gear i doubt you could hear a difference in the different formats.

Posté Sat 01 Aug 15 @ 11:07 am
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Free software exists which will tell you if a song that was originally encoded at 128kb/s but then later re-encoded to 320kb/s.
I'm old, I don't totally trust my ears, and I know an eighteen year old can hear things I can't.
Hence the acoustic device that chase youngsters away from shopping mall's.
Anyway with a little experience, and a software called Spek you can easily check the quality of the mp3.
Note that if it was rubbish to start with, it will remain rubbish, high quality or not.
I've fought this fight once before on this forum.
See link http://spek.cc/

Often remixes take 128kb/s tracks, and overlay other sound patterns at a much higher quality. You will be able to see this in Spek once you get used to it.
Also a lot of the stuff from way back in time is of a low quality.

Posté Sat 01 Aug 15 @ 6:44 pm
ron .. the software u posted is just a spectrum analyzer how exactly does it do what you are saying ... i mean explain how you are using it to get these answers?

I agree it shows the frequency response of the files it analyzes but if definitely can not say all that you said it does. I'm sorry but i have to call Bull on your claims.

Posté Sat 01 Aug 15 @ 7:06 pm
First study the software.
It is obvious really !
A highly compressed mp3 file has a small frequency range due to the compression methods.
Hence once you become familiar with the frequency range for a particular encoder rate it is easy to identify a re-encoded mp3.

Use your brains to judge the worth of this software.

Posté Sat 01 Aug 15 @ 7:13 pm
The shysters won't like this !

Posté Sat 01 Aug 15 @ 7:13 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
A spectrum analysis can give an indication, but is no guarantee.
By default an mp3 encoder set to 128kbps will cut off frequencies in order to have more bits left to accurately represent the rest of the spectrum, but an mp3 encoder can be instructed not to cut off any frequencies.
This will give poor sound quality, but unless you have the original to compare it to, can be hard to detect using a spectrum analyzer.

Posté Sun 02 Aug 15 @ 2:22 am
Nothing is perfect.
The frequency range of a song is a very good indication of its original bitrate, although there can be no guarantee.

At the end of the day the best check comes from the comments of those with young ears.

Posté Sun 02 Aug 15 @ 9:26 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)