Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Mac Mini - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

Hey VDJ community,

So my backup laptop got stolen. I am considering back up options. I am on the Apple platform and considering using a Mac Mini. In fact now that I think about it if the Mac mini works out I might make it my main system and use my laptop as a back up. I am thinking of I purchasing a cost effective 19" - 24" display (in a hard case) and creating a space for the mouse and keyboard in front of my DDJ-SZ that this should be a pretty impressive setup.

Has anyone tried a setup like this? Should I invest in a high-end mac mini or will the base model work? Does anyone foresee a problem with this setup?

Cheers

Posté Thu 12 Nov 15 @ 3:45 pm
Only if you wanna mix videos, if i'm correct the Mac Mini does not have another video out.

Posté Thu 12 Nov 15 @ 9:37 pm
i considered the mac mini, even want so far as to actually buy one only to return it before i even walked out the door. Reason was once i started to add up all i needed it wasnt that much cheaper than a macbook pro. Now dont get me wrong if all i was doing was djing at home or a gig once in a blue moon its still not a bad option. I just feel the added setup time and extra things to go wrong wasnt worth the couple hundred i was saving.

Posté Thu 12 Nov 15 @ 11:31 pm
You can add a monitor via thunder bolt. I am still on the fence it would be very different.

Posté Fri 13 Nov 15 @ 8:55 pm
To follow up. I got the Mac Mini and a 29" ultrawide screen with DDJ-SZ and it is SSSICCKKK :) I love it. The Mac Mini even without the SSD out performs my Macbook Pro 17" which is now designated as my back up system. Dual monitors works flawless, the network is faster and has a wider range than all previous devices and to my surprised there is a little speaker in this puppy incase you need to listen to something and headphones aren't available.

Posté Fri 20 Nov 15 @ 7:06 pm
Considering that the Mac Mini is the best CPU bang for the buck starting at $499.00 , can fit in your controller case and opens you up to all kinds of display options.... ya it's worth investigating.

Posté Fri 20 Nov 15 @ 10:51 pm
Nice setup and glad you posted your results. I might have to grab a mini, lol!!

Posté Fri 20 Nov 15 @ 11:10 pm
Now you need one of these to carry your monitor, they work great.

Posté Sat 21 Nov 15 @ 12:17 am
I am getting a custom hard case made for the display, keyboard and mouse and the Mac mini. My guy does it for a decent price :)

I so love it. Now I am saving to upgrade the Mac Mini with a SSD.

Posté Sat 21 Nov 15 @ 2:49 am
Which spec model of Mac Mini did you get?

Posté Sat 21 Nov 15 @ 7:18 pm
I got the mid level 2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz) with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache 1TB (5400-rpm) hard drive 8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 memory

http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/specs/

Based on how well this runs I am sure the base model @ $499.00 will run fine.

Posté Sun 22 Nov 15 @ 2:59 am
Is VirtualDJ handing out prizes for the sickest Virtual DJ rigs? If so I would like to enter this. :)

- I pad provides mobile internet connection and remote control of VDJ.
- Pioneer DDJ-SZ controller allowing seamless switch over from Main system to back up if needed.
- LG 29" Ultra wide display providing tons of space for VDJ interface and other handy apps.
- Wireless keyboard.
- Ergonomic trackball mouse control.
- Beats Headphones.
- Mac Mini.
- 4TB external drive for Music videos.
- 2x Shure PGX wireless microphones

Sick or What???

Posté Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 1:56 am

Posté Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 2:46 am
Cool... I like the way it all fit into one box, it is compact and like you said functional. in a pinch the iPad is ready to go as a back up as well.

What do you guys say. How about a friendly VirtualDJ rig competition with only pictures no names and the forum community votes on who's rig is the sexiest based on style, ergonomics and functionality. This competition should exclude club installs and shouldn't include amps and speakers.

Winner gets a VDJ Sexiest Rig Champion t-shirt.

What say you guys??????

Posté Mon 23 Nov 15 @ 3:33 am
Okay Community,

Here is a follow up on this thread regarding the first time out on a gig with the new RIG.

In summary, FAIL...

I end up having to take out my backup laptop as a tiny USB RF dongle that connect my keyboard to the Mac Mini fell behind the booth stand and was lost in the years of crap that was behind there. There was also a minor challenge of an intermittent HDMI cable.

Mac mini scores high for processing performance and price but it seems the minor draw back is there are more pieces to setup and leaves the door open for more potential faults.

I will post a report when I am able to perform a successful gig with it.

On a side note finally got to use the dual PC into on he DDJ-SZ. It worked flawlessly :) My friend DJ'd with Serato and I on VirtualDJ of course and we were switching over seamlessly all night. Good job Pioneer.

Posté Sat 28 Nov 15 @ 4:02 am
Yeah, I had a Logitech wireless keyboard and a Logitech wireless trackball, that used the same unifying dongle, and I had a backup of each. This gave me four dongles. I left one In the desktop because it was so small, and you guessed it, it hit something in transport. I knew there was a reason to get this particular brand. Your system does look great, and I am jealous of that big screen, which was a big reason for me to use a desktop all those years.

Posté Sat 28 Nov 15 @ 5:22 am

This is my rig lit up. The up lights are slowly and smoothly sliding through random colours.
The 18' sub is unseen under the table. The 55" displays are part of my mobile rig as well. :)

Posté Sun 29 Nov 15 @ 7:52 am
938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
sonisphere wrote :
Is VirtualDJ handing out prizes for the sickest Virtual DJ rigs? If so I would like to enter this. :)

- I pad provides mobile internet connection and remote control of VDJ.
- Pioneer DDJ-SZ controller allowing seamless switch over from Main system to back up if needed.
- LG 29" Ultra wide display providing tons of space for VDJ interface and other handy apps.
- Wireless keyboard.
- Ergonomic trackball mouse control.
- Beats Headphones.
- Mac Mini.
- 4TB external drive for Music videos.
- 2x Shure PGX wireless microphones

Sick or What???

Congratulations! You are my First Runner Up, LOL!

Posté Sun 29 Nov 15 @ 10:03 am
Damnnnnn.....!!!! I just got a wood.

Okay... Wait till I get home show you my full set.

Posté Sun 29 Nov 15 @ 4:58 pm
Behold!!!

My rig is supported by a Ultimate Support keyboard stand allowing me to stand up a play which is ergonomic and a more energetic experience for the customer. Notice the X32 Rack console neatly tucked under the Ddj-sz. This rack is packed with effects such a as Eq, Bbe type processors, compressors, real time analyzes. This unit is remote controlled via wifi from my IPad. I also have the expansion digital snake output called an SD8. This allows me to send and receive eight descrete channels of audio 330 feet or 1000 meters to me speakers via one thin cat5 (ethernet) cable. I can be located next to the head table while my speakers are on the opposite side of the dance floor. In this configuration I can still connect 16 input and outputs for fill speakers located close to me. Routing programming and processing sound is a breaze in the X32 rack.

Posté Sun 29 Nov 15 @ 6:59 pm
87%