Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet laptop

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

MurdizzyPRO SubscriberMember since 2013
Which type of laptop should be used while djing with Vdj8?

Posté Thu 11 Feb 16 @ 11:24 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
How much money have you got?

VDJ is extremely frugal using computer resources.
You can spend little, and achieve good results.

Video djing demands higher standards, but even here you can cut corners.

If your funds permit then just buy the best, and most expensive.
Asus seems to be the make of choice by most of the well informed members on this forum.

The bottom line is.. VDJ is that good you can almost use any laptop.

VDJ have an easily find-able minimum specifications page which will place some limits on your vast choice of suitable laptops.

Posté Thu 11 Feb 16 @ 11:54 pm
BlulitePRO InfinityMember since 2009
as bigron says, its pretty much your choice, ive previously ran vdj on systems such as a basic netbook (1gb ram, 1.6ghz cpu, 256 graphics, 60gb hdd) with hardly any issues.

as with any software though, the better the spec, the smoother it will run. it all depends on budget and on what you can justify to your skill level and commitment.

for example, if your only new or a hobbyist, is it really worth spending 2k on the latest alienware or mac? or would a reasonable priced sony/asus etc.. suffice for your needs?

if you want a good experience with the software, then you will need something that can run it flawlessly without overloading the cpu or ram, although depending on what you input depends if there will be any problems.

i find anything with dual core, 2.2ghz or above, 4gb ram, 512gpu and a reasonable (120-320gb) hdd, is quite sufficient to run a basic setup, however if you plan to run a lighting rig, ableton, fl studio, external audio, dmx software/hardware, sfx units, external hdd's etc.. from your laptop, then your going to need something with a lot more kick.

Posté Fri 12 Feb 16 @ 11:16 am
bigron1 wrote :

Asus seems to be the make of choice by most of the well informed members on this forum.

ASUS ROG = Dell Alienware at 60% of the price... :P

Posté Fri 12 Feb 16 @ 11:55 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
bigron1 wrote :

ASUS ROG = Dell Alienware at 60% of the price... :P

You know... when I look at the ROG, I was like, that's going to overheat. Sure thermal bla bla but alienware has breathing space. I'd not get a ROG.

I have a Dell inspiron 5558 with extended warranty, I don't game much and stuff... but surprisingly the i7 is much better than my 2xxQuad Core Xeon tower, at least for music. 16GB RAM, wtv, never get near it unless using virtual machines.

Regular HDD Intel 5500 gfx.... pff no issues up to three screens and screencast all 1080p.

Really My laptop is overkill.

Budget is most important. Better get used Alienware or new something with extended warranty IMO. Most retailers have a satisfaction warranty.

Posté Mon 15 Feb 16 @ 12:31 am
I'm not here to promote / defend ASUS, but seriously you believe a laptop with such air exhausts / ventilation system is going to overheat ?

Posté Mon 15 Feb 16 @ 4:37 pm
Let me throw in my 2 cents. I have only been using a laptop for 14 months. I bought an ASUS ROG. I would like to tell you what I know for a fact, so no one has to guess. I use this machine to do video, 7 to 8 hours a night. AT NO TIME DOES THIS COMPUTER EVEN GET WARM. I have even done a double, meaning 14 hours, with no warming that would be of any concern. I am online, with 4 video sites open. If you see me online Sunday or Monday night, and Wednesday day, I am playing in the club. In other words, next question.

Posté Mon 15 Feb 16 @ 6:59 pm
My old, old Asus does get warm, not that that troubles either it's reliability, or functionality.
I have an upgraded X58l with a 2.4GHz dual core Intel cpu, 1000Gb hdd, and 5Gb of memory.
It started life as a 2GHz Celeron, 120Gb hdd, and 1Gb of memory.
VDJ8 runs great on it however one day I might treat myself to a new one.

I have obviously removed the CPU, cleaned the fan, and renewed the thermal paste on occasion.

I'm not sure I like the look of the ROG, it's far to cutting edge for my taste.
I like something with a demonstrated reliability which goes back a long time.
Even if I had money sprouting out of my ears I might avoid the latest, and greatest offering.

Posté Tue 16 Feb 16 @ 1:41 am
We are not talking about old, old ASUS machines. I don't think anyone here is looking to buy an old machine, which is probably not even available, except as used. I think most of us are aware that cutting edge is what we are all about. Let's try to stick to what works right now. We can't expect you to talk about a computer that you do not own.

Posté Tue 16 Feb 16 @ 4:50 am
My rule is, go with the biggest and baddest machine you can afford.

After you get it, sit there and push that thing to the max!! Then you'll know what you can and can't do.

Then continue to save until you can afford a properly spec'd machine.

We all have to start somewhere but if you wouldn't be cheap on a controller why be cheap on a machine that's gonna power said controller??

GO BIG OR GO HOME!! Its called "FUTURE PROOFING"........

Posté Tue 16 Feb 16 @ 5:16 pm
"Were talking about laptops Ron, not speakers, lights and lasers....... Keep up bro ."

It's a little more than that, a small controller (MC3000) will be used on a small table with no sub controller, and no ipad remote support (which I like if I have a good internet connection).
This type of setup is probably the most common in our world.
There is no need in this case for an expensive gaming laptop.
In fact few DJ's, or KJ's need a gaming laptop.

Posté Tue 16 Feb 16 @ 6:50 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
What is this, the ASUS ROG fanboy club?

Signed,

Fellow ROG owner ;)

Posté Tue 16 Feb 16 @ 7:53 pm
bigron1 wrote :

There is no need in this case for an expensive gaming laptop.
In fact few DJ's, or KJ's need a gaming laptop.

Which is probably why most wont/dont/cant make it long term........ The laptop is the heart of djing with any software so why would you buy the shittest machine out?? Why buy a machine that barely gets by?? Why take the chance of your laptop dying prematurely because its a lower spec'd machine??

Again Ron I'm ONLY TALKING ABOUT THE LAPTOP/DESKTOP, I could careless about your lights, controller or speakers at this point.

No professional is gonna use a sub par laptop like you use and no bar/club owner is gonna tell me what I need to get the job done and if they do they are not a professional..... I'm done have a wonderful day/night....

Posté Tue 16 Feb 16 @ 10:06 pm
I'll point out again that my laptop runs faultlessly, and it's build is in a different class to most of the newer machines.
If it failed my demands which involve effects, sampling and karaoke then it would be replaced in an instant.
It has the operating system of my choice, and I did the clean Microsoft install. I used Win7 64 bit Pro., and not the manufactures original Vista along with all its assorted bloatware. I don't even need to optimize it for use with VDJ8, and it goes on the internet. That means it is well within its capabilities.

Reality is in front of your open eyes, and perceived by your mind.
It has nothing to do with the latest sales gimmick on the internet, or television.

Posté Tue 16 Feb 16 @ 10:28 pm
http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Minimum%20system%20requirements.html

These specifications outline what is needed by the music playing program VDJ8.
It's alright if some of you want to spend a lot of money on laptops which exceed the recommended Atomix requirements.
Note that I'm not referring to the minimum Atomix recommendations.
However do not mislead those who have little money, and struggle to purchase the required DJ / KJ equipment.

To the beginner...good speakers, a good sound card, and reasonable quality mp3's (256kb/s +) are the focal points for producing a good sound.
Use balanced leads if possible.
Don't waste your money on an expensive laptop, that is a luxury you can purchase later should you feel the need.
Even amplifiers which used to rate highly have fallen in the list of priorities due to the cheap, and good class D amplifiers.

Posté Wed 17 Feb 16 @ 12:47 am
That's because were not your average users Ron, I think most of us in this thread with the exception of you push our machines pretty damn hard!

Becoming a DJ has NEVER been cheap up until people started to use computers to DJ. Kids don't have to buy jack anymore so please quit with the poor and struggling kids crap already.

It only starts to get expensive when you start djing the right way, paying for music, quality gear and then there's music which has never been cheap.

I honestly dont feel I'm misleading people when I say buy what you can afford and then go from there. Go as big as you can.

Posté Wed 17 Feb 16 @ 1:02 am
This thread was about laptops
OP asked what kind of laptop should be used with VirtualDj 8.
The first 2-3 answers were on track. From that point on it's a pointless, meaningless discussion.

To recap:
Any modern (brand new) laptop can run VirtualDj 8 sufficient enough if it's audio only.
Most modern laptops can do video as well with the same efficiency but if you're targeting for video you should consider to get a mid-range laptop or even better to have some "headroom" of processing power (which also results to less heating e.t.c.)

All the other talking (including my own post about ROG been an Alienware at 60% of the price) are irrelevant to the OP's question.
If you think you have something to say that relative to the OP's question, please feel free to do so.
Otherwise please avoid commenting or the thread will have to be locked.

The reason is pretty obvious: A new user come and asked for a simple question and instead of answers he sees some forum members just have a cat fight. That's NOT a good image for anyone.
So please gentlemen behave as such.

PS: You are welcome to start a new thread and debate there whether or not someone should or should not use a better laptop, what specs, e.t.c. You may even do some show off if you like. But not on this thread. Thank you!

Posté Wed 17 Feb 16 @ 8:50 am
I have moderated a few post here that I feel have a personal agenda. If you would like to save the world, that's OK, just do it on your own blog. This is a DJ forum, and we would like to keep the focus on DJ related topics. The evils of the world and other boogieman topics, instigate strong responses, that's why we try to stay away from them. Have a great day.

Posté Wed 17 Feb 16 @ 8:39 pm
OldTomPRO InfinityMember since 2014
A Man and His Music wrote :
I have moderated a few post here that I feel have a personal agenda. If you would like to save the world, that's OK, just do it on your own blog. This is a DJ forum, and we would like to keep the focus on DJ related topics. The evils of the world and other boogieman topics, instigate strong responses, that's why we try to stay away from them. Have a great day.

Well said.
Back on topic -- does anyone want to mention that if the OP expects to use a laptop for professional gigs he has to avoid thinking about "a laptop" and start thinking about two laptops? You don't ever want to put your reputation on the line putting all your trust in one piece of gear.
When you are weighing the cost of your gear, back-up needs should be a part of the equation.

Posté Thu 18 Feb 16 @ 3:55 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)