Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Some great advice - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

If you are just starting out or upgrading, take a look at this.

Posté Tue 28 Jun 16 @ 7:20 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
The author needs to do a little studying prior to writing articles.

Quote : "but this choice means I’ll also be dragging around a heavy amplifier."

A compact powerful modern Class D amplifier can be lifted using a little finger.

I could argue about a few more of his comments, however my above point is adequate.

Posté Tue 28 Jun 16 @ 11:20 pm
bigron1 wrote :
A compact powerful modern Class D amplifier can be lifted using a little finger.

I just tried that with my C-Mark MR 2560 and broke my little finger!!!!

Posté Wed 29 Jun 16 @ 12:14 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Well my hearing might be failing or maybes not, but I think today's speakers are total crap compared to speakers I used years ago, mind they were a lot heavier. It seems to me that you need to have a 500w speaker to get even the same punch/quality of an old 100 or 200w speaker, as I say, my ears may be shot but does anyone think the same.

Posté Wed 29 Jun 16 @ 7:49 am
It's not the speakers... It's the amps that drive the speakers that lack of "soul"
Modern amps may be powerful, yet they fail to produce the same punch old amps did. It's little details like "dumping factor" (that most dj's don't even know what it is / means) that make modern small PA systems sound less "punchy" (does such a word exists ?) than old ones.

That being said there's nothing wrong on using modern amps. You just need to know how to use them! :)

Posté Wed 29 Jun 16 @ 8:27 am
Of course there's a word called "punchy" it's used all the time at the weekends where I'm from, you can hear it in most bars after ten at night, everyone's shouting "I'm gonna punchy ya face in"... lol.

Posté Wed 29 Jun 16 @ 9:12 am
I still use my Peavey PA from the nineties for the odd function, and many people comment about how "meaty" it sounds compared to other more modern systems.

It consists of two 15" bass bins and two 12" full range cabs driven by two CS-1000x amps (750wpc @ 4 ohms) and a PV23XO crossover.

The kit is big and very heavy, but the sound is amazing.

Some DJs are using array systems like the Bose L1 and although they are easier to move about the sound is truly horrible.

Posté Wed 29 Jun 16 @ 9:22 am
CannenPRO InfinityMember since 2016
kradcliffe wrote :
The kit is big and very heavy, but the sound is amazing.

Some DJs are using array systems like the Bose L1 and although they are easier to move about the sound is truly horrible.

Nothing beats the square inches of your speakers for sound. There are little speakers that sound good, but they aren't full. It's all just trickery.

It's the difference between Classic American Muscle Cars and the new car with 300hp. It's just not in the same class.

The old amplifiers were built with power in mind. The circuitry was different that it is today. I remember when I used to compete in car stereo competitions. Our amps were 200w and hit HARD. These days, the amps coming out are 2000w and the power just isn't there like it used to be. The brute force of it is missing.

Posté Wed 29 Jun 16 @ 10:02 am
@Keith, I have an old Peavey crossover lying around somewhere in the garage, your more than welcome to have it if you ever need one as a back up or replacement.

Similar to this one, could be the same model but not sure I'd have to check...

Posté Wed 29 Jun 16 @ 10:57 am
That's vintage.

They are plug in modules for the back of the CS amps so you can crossover in the amp itself rather than having an external unit. I used to use them in the early days so I could have one amp bass only and the other one for full range. They came in 150Hz and 250Hz varieties.

I sold some of these recently on eBay and they are still being bought, if you can be bothered listing you should get about £15 each.

Posté Wed 29 Jun 16 @ 11:18 am
Vintage! that's no way to talk to someone that has just offered you a freebie, mind, I get called worse than that at the bars, old git is now considered a term of endearment!

Posté Wed 29 Jun 16 @ 11:33 am
Love how he starts off saying your machine/laptop is priority 1!! I've been saying this for years and some folks still dont get it.

Nice find!!

Posté Wed 29 Jun 16 @ 7:52 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
"dumping factor"

It's damping, not dumping! Basically, how well the amp controls (movement of) the speaker cone.

I always remember hearing Philips Motional Feedback speakers when I was at school in the 70s. They were owned by my woodwork teacher, who used them at the school disco. Probably the first time I heard such loud, clear sound.

Posté Wed 29 Jun 16 @ 8:25 pm
Excuse my English. I'm not a native speaker!
Thank you!

Posté Wed 29 Jun 16 @ 11:39 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
I still use my Peavey PA from the nineties for the odd function, and many people comment about how "meaty" it sounds compared to other more modern systems.

It consists of two 15" bass bins and two 12" full range cabs driven by two CS-1000x amps (750wpc @ 4 ohms) and a PV23XO crossover.

I had that exact same set up when I was doing mobile gigs, and yeah the sound was proper beafy with full punch on all frequencies. I've been looking at new systems and seems nothing really compares to the Peavey systems except peavey.

Posté Wed 29 Jun 16 @ 11:48 pm
bigron1 wrote :
I could argue about a few more of his comments, however my above point is adequate.

That's your problem, you want to nit pic and find something to argue about. Wake up, it's 2016 and anything weighing more than an iphone, is considered heavy to most of the people that have iphones. They consider my ASUS too heavy at almost 10lbs, so they buy a MBP. What is heavy for some, is not heavy for others, get it? If you don't understand that, then ask someone. This is not about you but some good advice for those starting out or upgrading. What part of that didn't you comprehend?

Now, try to stay on topic.

Posté Fri 01 Jul 16 @ 8:46 pm
It was on topic.

I see it as the undermining of new technology which offers massive advantage to the mobile DJ using passive speakers.
My Peavey PV1500 (old technology) which is very heavy has not been to work since I bought a Behringer iNUKE NU3000 Class D Power Amplifier.

See links https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peavey-PV1500-Power-Amplifier/dp/B000SB9KES/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1467411555&sr=1-1&keywords=pv1500 and https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-NU3000-Inuke-3000W-Amplifier/dp/B005DUR7U8

My PV1500 cost almost £400, twice as much as my new Behringer INuke 3000.
My Peavey PV1500 weighs 20kg plus a flight case, whilst my Behringer weighs 3.2kg plus a lightweight Aria bag.
I can lift the Behringer in its bag with my little finger.
So..the old amplifier technology is approximately 5 or 6 times heavier than than its new Class D rival.

The author simply offers some old fashioned bad advise.

Note that I bought the PV1500 new for @ £380 last year.
I won't use a second hand amplifier since it's such a critical component.

Just one more point..the cheap Class D technology is often capable of driving a load of less than 4 ohm.
That has been important to me using a Peavey speaker technology called filtering.
Basically I can drive both tops and bass bins from one light iNuke3000.
My combined system power output is @ 1.6kw RMS.
In the past I used two heavy 1000wRMS traditional amplifiers.
I have lost little but gained much.

Posté Fri 01 Jul 16 @ 10:34 pm
Moving on to laptops.. my old laptop which I assumed would not be good enough to do video work is fine.
The only two concessions I made were reducing the desktop to 16bit graphics, whilst maintaining 32bit on the display elements, and deselecting the hi resolution option in the milkdrop control panel.
Hence an Asus X58L which started life as a Celeron 2ghz cpu, 120gb hdd, and 1gb memory running Vista is still going strong.
It now runs Win7, has a 2.4ghz Intel dual core cpu, 1000gb hdd, and 5gb of ram.

Hence computer managment skills are much more important than the need to buy an expensive laptop.

Posté Fri 01 Jul 16 @ 11:19 pm
I don't know how the hell any of the rest of us ever get anything done. we aren't half as bright nor as resourceful as bigron.
fugit, I'm retiring.

Posté Tue 05 Jul 16 @ 2:34 pm
groovindj wrote :
PhantomDeejay wrote :
"dumping factor"

It's damping, not dumping! Basically, how well the amp controls (movement of) the speaker cone.

I always remember hearing Philips Motional Feedback speakers when I was at school in the 70s. They were owned by my woodwork teacher, who used them at the school disco. Probably the first time I heard such loud, clear sound.

Technically, this is calculated: speaker impedance divided by amplifier output impedance including speaker cables.
It's not so simple to just blame the damping factor to be the problem as a class D can have damping factor in excess of a really heavy class B amp.
It all boils down to where in the amp, energy is stored and how well it can be thrown out to the cone, and the slewrate of the same.

Posté Wed 06 Jul 16 @ 6:15 pm
65%