Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet [NEW] new features in Ask.the.DJ - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

In view of the popularity of the Ask.the.DJ feature, we decided to improve it to add a bunch of useful new features.
The first wave of improvements added geolocation, replies, multi-venue, customization and facebook buttons.
Now we also added catalogs, paypal tips, and phone text messages.

Don't hesitate to share how you use this feature.
(outside the obvious request taking, we saw many of you finding smart uses, like communicate with the wedding planner, making games and votes, etc)

Posté Wed 29 Jun 16 @ 10:26 pm
Wonderful job and Ive always been a fan of this but..........

We need a "SIM-LESS" phone number to use
sclavel wrote :
phone text messages.
??

Can you please give us the option to use an SIM with a dongle??

Posté Wed 29 Jun 16 @ 11:22 pm
Just a thought. I work in a Hotel doing weddings and other functions. The Hotel Public Wi-Fi is not usable with the remote app for VDJ, therefore, it is necessary to either have a private Wi-Fi network running or tether to a smartphone. That means the "Ask.The.DJ" feature would not be able to run alongside the remote app (I don't use the remote anyway, just thinking of others). Is there a way around this?

Posté Thu 30 Jun 16 @ 2:30 am
DJSoulman wrote :
Just a thought. I work in a Hotel doing weddings and other functions. The Hotel Public Wi-Fi is not usable with the remote app for VDJ, therefore, it is necessary to either have a private Wi-Fi network running or tether to a smartphone. That means the "Ask.The.DJ" feature would not be able to run alongside the remote app (I don't use the remote anyway, just thinking of others). Is there a way around this?

Connect the remote app to the hotel wifi, but enter its IP manually if autodetection doesn't work on the hotel wifi.

Posté Thu 30 Jun 16 @ 8:57 am
The laptop and my iPhone both work fine on the Hotel Wi-Fi, but, they can't 'see' each other. As far as I understand it, public Wi-Fi in Hotels and other public places have a privacy setting that stops users 'seeing' other users on the same Wi-Fi. That's why the remote app won't work at the Hotel because it can't 'see' the laptop to connect to it.

Therefore, using either phone 'tether' or a private Wi-Fi to use the remote would negate the public using the 'Ask.The.DJ' feature unless they were also logged onto the same private Wi-Fi. Does that make sense?

Posté Thu 30 Jun 16 @ 4:33 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
DJSoulman wrote :
Is there a way around this?

It's not a particularly easy solution unfortunately, most public WiFi here has AP isolation, so WiFi clients cannot communicate. In this case, the only real thing you could do is connect to the hotel WiFi for internet, and have a small wireless access point (connected via USB or Ethernet) to your computer, then connect the remote to that.

You could have a single router handling it all, but obviously requires a lot more networking know-how!

Posté Thu 30 Jun 16 @ 4:41 pm
mickwickControlleristMember since 2013
Hi,
Very content with the ask.the.dj feature. Have been experimenting with separate software, but that did not suit my purpose. However... is it using URL AND Twitter, or URL OR Twitter?
I think the latter..?

Posté Thu 30 Jun 16 @ 5:07 pm
It is the latter, correct.

Posté Thu 30 Jun 16 @ 6:19 pm
CannenPRO InfinityMember since 2016
If you have a website, you can go into your settings and create a custom url that will point directly to your ask the dj page.

Then, you can give your url and your customers will be redirected to the ask the dj page.

Posté Thu 30 Jun 16 @ 9:32 pm
SBDJ wrote :

It's not a particularly easy solution unfortunately, most public WiFi here has AP isolation, so WiFi clients cannot communicate. In this case, the only real thing you could do is connect to the hotel WiFi for internet, and have a small wireless access point (connected via USB or Ethernet) to your computer, then connect the remote to that.

You could have a single router handling it all, but obviously requires a lot more networking know-how!

Been working at a different Hotel tonight doing a School Prom. I tried the 'Ask.The.DJ' feature for the first time at the Hotel and could not get it to work. Both the MBP laptop and my iPhone 5s were connected to the Hotel's Wi-Fi and although the iPhone indicated the request was sent, the laptop never received anything. I suspect that, if the phone was not connected to the Wi-Fi and 3g or 4g data was used, it would probably work (never thought of that when I was working, my concentration was elsewhere lol). My data is currently switched off as I am limited to 500mb per month and running out.

Doing a wedding back at my usual Hotel tomorrow, so, will give it a quick check (only got 40mb left to use).

I probably won't use either, but, it's interesting trying to find a solution.

Posté Fri 01 Jul 16 @ 1:11 am
OK, just tried at the Hotel with my iPhone NOT using the wi-fi and the 'Ask.The.DJ' feature works with the laptop on the wi-fi, yea. :-)

Posté Fri 01 Jul 16 @ 6:24 pm
DJ GDWPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hello, I have a question about ASK.THE.DJ .
... is it possible to start the ask.the.dj function via a router without Internet account?
because someone has an idea how this is to be done?

some DJ do not have Internet accounts with unlimited flat rate and it would be good if you could make its own network available for an event that does not require Internet connection.

and sorry for my bad english

Posté Sun 03 Jul 16 @ 8:07 am
Hi using Ask.the.DJ and its working fine, made up some QR codes and putting them on the tables and displaying on videos screen, its a great tool and have no problems with that service just need the Tweet back I know its not working for VDJ but I am using it but just have to keep changing in the options all the time. Can we have a tab to run both at the same time (please) as did work on the other versions and found it to be good to have that option so guest can choose. Thanks again VDJ team great software and service.

Posté Sun 03 Jul 16 @ 11:50 am
DJ GDW wrote :
... is it possible to start the ask.the.dj function via a router without Internet account?

Im afraid not; the ask.the.dj feature is dependant on you having an Internet connection.

Posté Sun 03 Jul 16 @ 10:31 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I created and upgraded my Twilio account for the number I want. I entered the number in the setup page, then put the webhook url in the twilio setup page.
Messages are not going through. Twilio is logging an error.
Error - 11200
HTTP retrieval failure
There was a failure attempting to retrieve the contents of this URL.
An 11200 error is an indicator of a connection failure between Twilio and your service. When Twilio requests a page from your server, we wait a maximum of 15 seconds for a response. A connection failure will occur if no response is returned in that time.

Am I missing a step?

Posté Mon 04 Jul 16 @ 5:27 pm
blckjck wrote :
I created and upgraded my Twilio account for the number I want. I entered the number in the setup page, then put the webhook url in the twilio setup page.
Messages are not going through. Twilio is logging an error.
Error - 11200
HTTP retrieval failure
There was a failure attempting to retrieve the contents of this URL.
An 11200 error is an indicator of a connection failure between Twilio and your service. When Twilio requests a page from your server, we wait a maximum of 15 seconds for a response. A connection failure will occur if no response is returned in that time.

Am I missing a step?

In the twilio configuration, set the request url to "HTTP GET" instead of "HTTP POST"

Posté Mon 04 Jul 16 @ 7:19 pm
Dev staff wrote :

In the twilio configuration, set the request url to "HTTP GET" instead of "HTTP POST"

That was it, the messages go through now.

When I reply, it does not go through. Is that another setting?

Posté Tue 05 Jul 16 @ 12:26 am
How does ask the dj process replies? I have set up our karaoke page to accept user requests and the replies come through correctly without leaving our webpage, but I would like to show replies on our webpage as well. Is there a way to do this?

Posté Sun 17 Jul 16 @ 6:10 pm

Posté Sun 17 Jul 16 @ 10:37 pm
BigDawgProductions wrote :
This should either be an app or done via text. Not a lot of people know anything about bringing up web pages on their phone or tablet.

Please see this figure:

As you can see, 89% of mobile users use apps on their phone and only 11% use the mobile web. And this was four years ago, so I am sure the numbers are more like 95% to 5% by now.

[Source: http://www.smartinsights.com/mobile-marketing/mobile-marketing-analytics/mobile-marketing-statistics]

I feel this gets into a location thing.
Most of the people I know surf the web on their phones. I rarely use my computer to web surf. In fact, I'm replying to this thread via my phone.

Posté Mon 18 Jul 16 @ 2:23 am
80%