Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Paying for driverack initial setup....

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

RC LEEPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Hello all, i'm new to the forums. I am wondering is it worth it to pay a professional sound guy to do my initial driverack pa2 setup. My equipment is in my description, and I want it to sound as good as possible, so i'm considering paying someone to do my initial setup (I know that a lot can go wrong if you don't know what you are doing). Is the drive rack so simple to use that a novice can use it or is it wise to pay and get some tutoring while the setup is being done? Thank you for your feedback in advance.

Posté Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 8:27 pm
A Dbx drive rack is way over the top for that setup, a simple crossover would do the same job.

No point buying tech if you don't know how to work it..... and it is difficult to understand for a novice. Also bear in mind every venue will have different accoustics so you will need to be able to change the settings on the fly.

Any venues I have worked in with a drive rack had sound engineers in to set them then they got locked away from the normal people.

Posté Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 8:32 pm
You don't even need a crossover. They're powered speakers. All the amps and processors are built in. Plug & play.

Posté Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 8:38 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
A Dbx drive rack is way over the top for that setup, a simple crossover would do the same job.

No point buying tech if you don't know how to work it..... and it is difficult to understand for a novice. Also bear in mind every venue will have different accoustics so you will need to be able to change the settings on the fly.

Any venues I have worked in with a drive rack had sound engineers in to set them then they got locked away from the normal people.

Thank you for the feedback, but from what i understand the driverack can really optimize the performance of my speakers and i already bought it, so i'm sold out to using it now i guess. From what you say I guess i'll have a pro do the initial setup and learn what i can while it's being done. It has an onboard wizard that should guide me through future setups and i'll save the profiles for future use. thanks again for your thoughts.

Posté Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 8:42 pm
newdj23 wrote :
the driverack can really optimize the performance of my speakers

So you think EV don't know what they're doing when they design speakers, and their kit needs adjustment from some other manufacturer's gizmo?

Seriously, the Driverack is redundant. Your speakers have been designed to sound their best already, by EV.

Posté Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 9:10 pm
Can you return the driverack? The reason I ask is, I also don't think you need this. Yes, we all want the best sound, but you are just starting out. I don't know who talked you into getting this, but I just think it is more than you need at the moment, with the equipment that you have. I downsized from a rack with an EQ, DBX compressor/limiter, and a BBE sub harmonic unit. I bought a slightly used Driverack, and it is still in my garage. Of course the analyzing mic cost more, but I was not going to get that. It just seemed like a lot of time would be added to each new venue, for the least amount of return. Most of the top equipment gear sounds great, as long as you are putting great signal into them. You have good equipment, use the extra time on perfecting your performance, not tinkering with the sound.

Posté Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 9:10 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
Can you return the driverack? The reason I ask is, I also don't think you need this. Yes, we all want the best sound, but you are just starting out. I don't know who talked you into getting this, but I just think it is more than you need at the moment, with the equipment that you have. I downsized from a rack with an EQ, DBX compressor/limiter, and a BBE sub harmonic unit. I bought a slightly used Driverack, and it is still in my garage. Of course the analyzing mic cost more, but I was not going to get that. It just seemed like a lot of time would be added to each new venue, for the least amount of return. Most of the top equipment gear sounds great, as long as you are putting great signal into them. You have good equipment, use the extra time on perfecting your performance, not tinkering with the sound.

Thanks for the feedback, too late to return the unit (i had it sitting there for months and just decided to use it). It seems that the consensus is that it is overkill with my current equipment, so i will take heed and not use it until i have a true need for it. I will just keep it in the closet or consider selling it at some point.

Posté Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 9:24 pm
Yeah, I know the feeling of buying and not using right away, and to late to return. If you can sell it for close to the price you paid, it is better than having it, and not using it. On the other hand, you could be opening a big club soon, and already have this unit. At any rate, hope your venture into the mobile world is successful, and enjoy yourself.

Wait a minute, you're not in New Jersey are you?

Posté Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 9:29 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
Yeah, I know the feeling of buying and not using right away, and to late to return. If you can sell it for close to the price you paid, it is better than having it, and not using it. On the other hand, you could be opening a big club soon, and already have this unit. At any rate, hope your venture into the mobile world is successful, and enjoy yourself.

Wait a minute, you're not in New Jersey are you?

I'm in Brooklyn, NY {not far from Jersey)...and I hope to have a need for this in the future so i don't mind holding on to it unless a friend has need for it then i'd sell it. Once again thank you for you feedback

Posté Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 9:41 pm
groovindj wrote :
newdj23 wrote :
the driverack can really optimize the performance of my speakers

So you think EV don't know what they're doing when they design speakers, and their kit needs adjustment from some other manufacturer's gizmo?

Seriously, the Driverack is redundant. Your speakers have been designed to sound their best already, by EV.

I get your point, but I know and have heard the impact of these units on a few of my friends powered systems (yorkville and qsc) and these guys swear that their sound is much better. I've seen a thread on here where the driverack / no driverack necessary pros and cons have been extolled and both sides seemed firm in their opinions. I just solicited feedback from my peers and I am grateful for your feedback. For me my lack of experience is a hinderance to using it, so i'll rely on EV's engineers to optimize my sound. Have a great day.

Posté Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 9:50 pm
MRDA

You can look that one up. It stands for Mandy Rice Davies Applies. Basically, "they would say that, wouldn't they?".

They've purchased Driveracks. They've messed around until they think it sounds better. It will certainly sound different. They justify it to themselves because they've spend the money, and convinced themselves it must be better because they've changed something.

I've spent a fortune on powered RCF speakers. I run them directly from a mixer. Nothing in between. They don't need it. RCF have done all the hard work.

Posté Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 10:00 pm
groovindj wrote :
MRDA

Th've purchased Driveracks. They've messed around until they think it sounds better. It will certainly sound different. They justify it to themselves because they've spend the money, and convinced themselves it must be better because they've changed something..

Good point!

Posté Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 10:05 pm
When you're messing with stuff like EQ, after a while your ears get used to the change and it starts sounding normal again. So then you change it some more......

It's a vicious circle. It's like when you spend hours in a recording studio mixing a track.

You think "Great, this mix is amazing" and you save it. Next day when you listen to it, it sounds awful. When you're doing stuff like that, you need to take regular breaks so your ears can recover, then go back and listen again.

I've done the whole recording studio thing, years ago. Even at home, when tweaking EQ of a track in audio editing software, it's so easy to go over the top if you've been listening too long.

Posté Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 10:20 pm
Couldn't agree more. I had my laptop plugged in to a perfectly tuned system this morning but the dolby EQ was switched on by mistake. I noticed after about 20 minutes and switched it off.... then everything sounded totally flat.

Went away for an hour, came back and it sounded fine again. What Groovin says is absolutely true, and many people go completely over the top adjusting sound for the sake of it.

Posté Mon 29 Aug 16 @ 10:28 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)