Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Opinions Please - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

Ok so it seems I've been getting more mobile work (sweet 16's and private parties).

Well I've been renting a sound system from a friend, a set of passive EV (4 15's with horns and an amp).

So I just need something for anywhere between 150-250 people. Needs to be able to handle bass because I play mostly Trap and Hip-Hop.

I'm sitting on 2 grand and I think I've asked about this setup before but can't remember what was said sooooooo I've been looking at the B-52 Matirx system, http://m.pssl.com/PA-Systems-Packages/B-52-Matrix-2500-Complete-3-Piece-Powered-PA-Sys

So is this system good enough for what ill need??

Thanks for the time and info, it is most appreciated.

Posté Mon 21 Nov 16 @ 4:02 am
I think if you are sitting on $2000.00 you should sit just a little bit longer and get this:

http://m.pssl.com/PA-Systems-Packages/Electro-Voice-EKX-12P-Pair-EKX-18SP-Bundle

You only need $345.51 more for a more dependable system. I have two of the 18's and they absolutely hammer! I have pounded them for 9 hours straight with no problem.

Or hold out for the EKX-15P (Pair) & EKX-18SP Bundle for only $2500.00.

But just my little opinion.

Posté Mon 21 Nov 16 @ 4:47 am
Hmm didn't see that setup but I think that with another sub should about do it.

So ill keep renting for the next month and I should have enough.

Thanks!

Posté Mon 21 Nov 16 @ 3:06 pm
I have seen the Matrix system that you are looking at, and it does sound good, but I don't own it. The reason why is, I don't like that if something happens to the amp in the sub, you are done. I want everything to have it's own power. If the sub goes, the party still goes on. If one of the tops goes, the party still goes on. The only exception is the line array systems out now. Even if one side goes, the other side is still playing. So whatever you do, make sure that all of your power is not coming from one unit.

Posté Mon 21 Nov 16 @ 6:07 pm
Yeah, go with a pair of subs if only to get rid of the damn tripods. I hate those things!

Subs, poles, tops - done.

Posté Mon 21 Nov 16 @ 6:08 pm
Yeah that works, but sometimes you do not need subs, or only need one. Yes, I bring at least one sub to every gig, except some of the corporate affairs. I regularly do Lord & Taylor, and never bring a sub. I am playing club and easy listening music, but it's not a sub party.

Posté Mon 21 Nov 16 @ 6:15 pm
I recently bought two dB technologies sub 808 (18" inch active woofers) and uses two 12" tops. They are quite powerful and would probably be enough for you.

I have always gone passive before - using an array of Lab Gruppen amps. But those active cabinets are quite nice.

Posté Mon 21 Nov 16 @ 7:07 pm
Ok enough about speakers and thanks for the input fellas, most appreciated.

As for lights, right now I have 2 Gigbar IRC's with a couple of moving heads and that seems to be just fine (sometimes it seems like it to much).

Anyways I want to add a set of tv's and move away from the projectors unless I'm projection mapping.

What do you guys think about this truss, http://www.zzounds.com/item--MUPLS7730 ??

I would connect my gigbars to it and have the 2 tv's connected to the 2 bars on the end.

So what's does everyone think about that??

Posté Mon 21 Nov 16 @ 8:14 pm
Weight Capacity: 200 lbs
is that enough?

I assume you know how you will attach the TVs

and is it wide enough for 2 flat screens and the other lights?

other then that looks good to me

Posté Mon 21 Nov 16 @ 8:19 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Back to speakers..I like a separate amplifier which can be lifted using one finger, yet can easily drive both tops and bottoms (2 ohm load or a little above).
Class D is brilliant, and should not be reserved for powered speakers.
Whatever.

Note: 18" bottoms are too big for a normal mobile. More often than not you just need 12" tops (good ones!)
Both EV and Peavey (in the USA) are good.
Peavey may be falling off a cliff in the UK.

..and plastic, wood is too heavy.

Posté Tue 22 Nov 16 @ 12:48 am
jucenicPRO InfinityMember since 2012

Posté Tue 22 Nov 16 @ 5:37 am
mike44PRO InfinityMember since 2010
I have that same truss. How do you attach TVs to it?

Posté Tue 22 Nov 16 @ 6:01 am
jucenic wrote :
What do you guys think about this truss, http://www.zzounds.com/item--MUPLS7730 ??

I have that one, I put 2 TV and 6 light, some time 8, no problem

What size tvs are you using??

Posté Tue 22 Nov 16 @ 12:21 pm
bigron1 wrote :
18" bottoms are too big for a normal mobile.

Because? Would you care to explain why (you think) they're too big?

bigron1 wrote :
More often than not you just need 12" tops

I disagree. Here's why - most full range cabs only extend down to circa 50Hz. Music (nearly all of it that DJs are likely to play) contains frequencies down to 40Hz or below. Therefore, if you're only using 12" tops then you and your audience are not hearing all of what's on the recording.

A bass guitar can play down to 40Hz, so even with a simple recording of a band using a bass player, it'll have notes lower than 12" tops can handle. When it comes to synth bass, "how low can you go?".

The excitement in music is in the bass frequencies. Most of the energy/power is there. Literally. It's what makes people want to dance. It's often said that people generally "dance to the words" of songs they know. However, the better your bass reproduction, the more chance they'll dance regardless. They won't be able to help themselves.
bigron1 wrote :
wood is too heavy.

There's a reason why wood has been the default, go-to material for building speakers for hundreds of years. The more professional the speaker, the more likely it is to be made of wood.

Posté Tue 22 Nov 16 @ 7:57 pm
For me, those 18" inch cabinets suits me perfectly. They are not "very big" , efficient weight and active powered.
They are also good standing points for my tops and will not fall over easily.
They fit well into my van so I am happy. And last, they sound good :)

Posté Tue 22 Nov 16 @ 8:08 pm
I disagree. Here's why - most full range cabs only extend down to circa 50Hz. Music (nearly all of it that DJs are likely to play) contains frequencies down to 40Hz or below. Therefore, if you're only using 12" tops then you and your audience are not hearing all of what's on the recording.

The critical issues are the size of the venue, and the permitted sound levels.
Bass in particular travels, and can produce complaints from neighbors.
I've had many venues which have a power supply which is controlled by a sound limiter.
Many times at regular venues I've had the council around to check my sound levels.
Bass is the enemy.
Most venues are small.
You're thinking in terms of a hall where bass is a major requirement.
In a small venue every Sunday I struggle trying to keep the volume down!

We often make compromises which detract from the music quality.
For a big venue I always use bass bins.

Often you won't have the space to set up bass bins.

The EV SX200 are legends, and the Peavey Impulse 1012 are very good as well.
I suppose some cheap Chinese copies are now very good.

-

Posté Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 1:14 am
TV' size 42" and if I remember right @ 8.5kg.
This fits in a hatchback car on the parcel shelf (strapped down with a bungee cable), and with two 12" speakers beneath.
I use a trailer should bass bins be needed.

2 x RHINO MULTI CLAMP LIGHTING EFFECT CLAMP
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151560825253?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and

BR-81 TV Wall Bracket Mount 800 x 400 VESA 50" 55" 60" 65" Extra Slim 26mm 50KG
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331747466941?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This bracket is a bit big but will support most TV's.

Posté Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 1:34 am
Well as i said my mind is made up on the speakers and they must be super strict over on your side of the pond.

We don't care where we're at, we BANG and we BANG LOUD!!

Of course are sound permits are always up to date but the louder the better, lmmfao!!

Now on to the tvs, 42", really?? That seems kind of small. I was thinking 55"/60" tvs and I can get 55" for around 350/400 all day brand new!!

I guess ill wait and see exactly how the truss pans out when I get it.

Thanks for the time and info!!

Posté Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 2:33 am
Its all about being mobile.

People just don't want loud all the time..which I can do!
This includes management who want a social environment where people meet and talk.

A DJ can lose lots of work by being too loud.
Its the biggest mistake DJ's make..including myself.

Posté Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 3:01 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
....they must be super strict over on your side of the pond.

We don't care where we're at, we BANG and we BANG LOUD!!

depends on who's enforcing the noise complaint, the police to a rave out in the stix or house party, they're pragmatic, they don't want people travelling home in an unfit state, they ask to turn it down.
Environmental health going to a venue [council run (I suppose you'd say state) also the people who grant and can revoke premise licences] tend to favour neighbours [we all live on top of each over here] also they have the power to seize equipment.

Is 1.6kW really enough? I run more than that in my living room.

Posté Wed 23 Nov 16 @ 3:09 am
51%