Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Becoming very bored DJing *Thoughts* - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

So, lately Ive been becoming very bored with DJing but I really do not think its with DJing itself. From the area I am at, and open format DJ is your best option. Also a college town. Now this should make for a pretty fun time, Right? I DJ in the areas 2 biggest night clubs so, I at first didn't know why I was becoming so bored with it. After a while I figured it out. Its the damn music for the most part. As an open format DJ, its like you are going no where as a DJ. You go out and play what all the kids want like you are their spotify account or youtube.. and its all hip hop which I have no care for absolutely at all... but I keep up with it to keep busy and keep being booked. The most fun Ive ever had in a club was at at gay clubs. The reason, the crowd will dance to ANYTHING.. at least thats how it was in this area but most of them closed up. Im close to NYC and Philly but damn its so hard to get a gig. Trying to find a booking agent or whatever.Also in this area a lot of places just don't promote. The put all the onto the DJs and bartenders shoulders to promote. The whole system here in broken and the crowds seen lame and if the song isn't on the radio EXACTLY AS THEY PLAY IT.... then you get no response ...so as a DJ you want a style and such.. I'm bored because its so hard to develop yourself here. Anyone else feeling this? Its like you try and try and the crowd has no energy even when you try your hardest to pep them up.... and THIS IS A COLLEGE TOWN!! When I started DJing in 98, man it was so different... the last 5 years the whole thing has gone to shit and.... what Im doing just isn't fun anymore... I need to find my spot.. my thing..As I DJ I feel like Im spinning dailtones all night.. just not feeling it. Like Im not getting anything back out of it.. if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong I love DJing but... maybe Im in the wrong area..

Posté Fri 03 Feb 17 @ 6:02 am
FumpsHome userMember since 2016
Man I feel your pain. I was getting the same thing when I was in different bands, I play bass guitar as well as spinning tunes and found that my heart wasn't into playing anymore, I joined and left a few bands who were all doing covers of famous songs and I just felt like I wanted to quit playing altogether. I was going through the motions but nothing was reminding me why I was doing it in the first place if that makes sense?

I took a break and looked at what I loved about playing and listening to music, the thing that was missing for me was fun, I just wasn't having fun anymore. Because I have a very varied musical taste (Anything from Thrash metal to Classical) I started asking myself what would make me happy?
Instead of mixing hard dance (160bpm edm style Acid techno) which what I used to do in my vinyl days, I switched my style to Funk, Soul & Disco. I stopped taking myself so seriously, I then got some of my best friends and are now forming a musical project with no fixed band members, just people who want to have fun & jam and in this I will be doing a mixture of playing bass & mixing on the decks along with other musicians live.

For the first time in years I'm actually excited about what I'm doing again.

I suppose what I'm saying is keep the gigs you are doing if they are paying the bills, but look for something else that makes you happy and excited. music is such an amazing varied world and everyone takes different things from it, its the same with peoples personalities everyone has facets and parts of their personality that needs attention, find out what these are and explore them.

Its a long winded way of saying: find out what feels good & do it, Because being happy doesn't just happen, you have to find it and make it your own.

Posté Fri 03 Feb 17 @ 7:40 am
AMEN. That's great @frump. I feel that way on times being a mobile DJ. Part time paying bills. Playing music sometimes that you can't modify too much or people look like you have 2 heads. Then carrying all the equipment through crazy mazes through greasy kitchens trying not to fall and or damage your equipment or knock someone over. Having all the teenagers come over asking for explicit songs, and even having whomever come over many times and playing their songs and not dancing to the songs they request. Then their are the sloshes that come over who you can't understand and if you do understand then watch out they don't knock you over or insult you for dong your job. The stress of having contracts months ahead of time and worrying if you're feeling well on that actual day of the party, if not having to find a replacement in a short notice. I think you have to fix things a little at a time. What's keeping me happy I guess is getting ways of making my equipment lighter over the years so it's not hard to get setup through mazes. Buying new equipment once in a while is like playing with a new toy at times and now it's writing some scripts and seeing if I can use them in some way at gigs that don't upset the clientele and make me happy. I also now try to subcontract where another poor DJ company has to deal with the contracts and I get less for the parties but less stress.

I do hear it's changed here in NY also. If you want to play as a band or a DJ in clubs they push you now to do your own promotions most of the time. They ask you if you have a big following. I don't know if I blame them that much because it's about making money. I'm sure the club owners do it themselves for the money.

Posté Fri 03 Feb 17 @ 12:36 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Exactly what I am experiencing.
Lately I'm not doing many gigs cause of other temporary priorities. But the few gigs I do (most because other DJs got ill or something) I really don't enjoy them anymore. I'm purely doing it for the money.
It is hard work and I'm almost always frustrated afterwards.
You put so much time and work into it and you don't get anything back.

Posté Fri 03 Feb 17 @ 12:47 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
"You put so much time and work into it and you don't get anything back."

Something is badly wrong.

I'm tempted to show you some of my "thank you" emails from over Xmas.
Your satisfaction levels at doing your job well, putting a huge amount of effort in, and seeing the people happy should make you desperate to perform.

I'd suspect the audience, and the type of music you play.
Maybe your working for the wrong people?
I'm very worried about young people, their attitudes, and the popularity of drugs.
Most of the places I work in are drug free, and one was "alcohol free" just before Xmas..they were recovering people, drugs and whatever.

You do need some gigs to go badly so that a challenge is offered, it would be too easy if every gig was perfect = boring.

Posté Fri 03 Feb 17 @ 2:09 pm
Well DJ Andrew this iz my take...just what your saying iz what i felt in the past (i was a "Club" DJ) and to me thats the real big problem/issue here. for me it was the same old same old crowd every weekend..yeah i might play some different tunes the following weekend but for the most past same crowd/same music..
this is why i left the "Boring" club scene and became a 100% mobile DJ and 98% of that iz weddings....you just might wanna look into that...at weddings its different everytyme...because you have to read the crowd & know what to play accordingly.. its a new & different challenge at each event ;-)

Posté Fri 03 Feb 17 @ 4:57 pm
938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
@Fumps:

I'm glad you found a workflow to put together your live-music and DJ-mixing... best of both worlds.

I started my music career as a band player too.
I learned a little bit of everything: guitar, drums, bass, but ended up being a keyboardist from1989-2003.

I started dj'ing on 2006 and officially did it as a business on 2007.

When I get bored with the same stuff I switch to different set ups... CDJs, TTs, or other controllers. But lately, the release of DJ-808 gave me similar workflow as what you do (with the slight difference that I do it by myself).

On Mobile...

I just got the BOSS RC-505 Looper recently for more options on Live Remixing.

I hope that DJ-808 support on VDJ is coming soon.
This will make a lot of users happy and NOT BORED on their gigs.

Cheers!

Posté Fri 03 Feb 17 @ 7:30 pm
@938MyDJ:
Oh man almost bought the 808. Such a sweet toy and would love to just throw in some riffs all night long so that the leading song matches the following song but I got the Denon MCX8000 because I can use it standalone and not bring a 2nd laptop for backup. Not used to the 2 extra channels making 4 to now work out a way to put some samples on a spare channel. Yeah phones,tablets can't do the job as my backup if my laptop goes early on in the party. One thing though, I'd have to say you're pretty daring since my sweet tooth looks at your setup and sees candyland with all that sweet gear but I get the chills when I see all that uncovered equipment. Don't fear the reaper but I fear the liquids. Kids or drunks splashing and they don't have to be close to do so. These days I need some kind of shield that keeps my toys from creating electrical storms at my gigs.

Posté Fri 03 Feb 17 @ 8:24 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

I think the problem is the often massive disconnect between what DJs want to do and are told they should do vs what the crowd expects of them.

As already stated DJs like to play remixes and have a style as a minimum, then you add in 3-4 deck mixing/samples, scratching, FX etc - the online DJ community push and promote the performance side of DJing, but for MOST DJs this will remain something of fantasy land, because there simply isn't a mass market of venues/crowds interested in hearing DJs 'ruining' their favorite songs, in 90% of venues you'd get a better reaction just dropping the Macarena than busting out a complicated live remix using familiar samples.

It's inevitable that a lot of DJs will feel empty given the stone cold reality of DJing professionally, you've learned a set a skills and bought into high end products that simply don't offer a good return on investment (time and money) unless you're fortunate enough to be playing to the niche crowd that's open to high levels of manipulation. I have to laugh at some of the local DJs posting pictures of their setups, 4 Deck Nexus setup with an iPad, midi keyboard and sampler, and I know for a fact that they're just playing YMCA and Cotton eye Joe to a crowd of people that's happy to "play it off youtube".

At some point you have to either shit or get off the pot, do what you have to do until you can do what you want to do, but as I say the reality check is that DJing for the majority is to act as an echo chamber for the radio, play the top 100 party songs of all time and with minimal manipulation.

Posté Sat 04 Feb 17 @ 9:24 am
So much good reads here. What really sucks is, in an area, all DJ play the same set. I noticed we all are doing the exact same songs. The one thing that sets me apart is Im the only guy around here doing all music videos and VJing live visuals live which on of the clubs offer a HUGE red wall which makes it like a big EDM fest but still... its the same crap. I try to play light remixes of everything that still leaves the original song intact but with a little twist to try to be a little different . I dropped a few unknown tracks here and there that just have that sound and they work.. but trying to really do your own thing.... its hard and all I get is drunk females asking for the same shit then bitching when its not next because this generation is the instant gratification generation and they WANT THERE MUSIC AND HAVE IT PLAYS RIGHT NOW.. ugh.. As I stated above. a big gay club will take you back the the 90s or early 2000s for the energy and the level of creativity you can do in them. The crowd just dances and dances all night. Load of fun .. just those type of gigs don't come around that much. instead its Drake, DMX, Rihanna..blah blah same shit

Posté Sat 04 Feb 17 @ 10:10 am
my advice is find a way to play more music you actually like or you will eventually come to hate what you are doing not just be bored.

the best mix is 50% you like and 50% the crowd likes ....

Posté Sat 04 Feb 17 @ 10:40 am
wickedmix wrote :
my advice is find a way to play more music you actually like or you will eventually come to hate what you are doing not just be bored.

the best mix is 50% you like and 50% the crowd likes ....

I'm actually going in that direction

Posté Sat 04 Feb 17 @ 10:58 am
I had my first 'what the hell am I doing and why is this suddenly so boring" moments within the first 5 years and came to a quick solution that has worked for me and mostly kept me sane. ( for a given level of sane..)

play what they want at work so you can play what you want when you aren't working.

plain and simple - make the mental disconnection between the over-regurgitated pop and use your acting skills to make them think they are just having the time of your lives so they will keep coming back and you keep making money.

when you get home - plug in the 'phones n and fire up your decks, computer, whatever makes YOU happy and cut loose.
make that 2 hour mixtape of Hungarian salsa remixes if that's what it takes.

Posté Sat 04 Feb 17 @ 12:31 pm
I recently celebrated 40 years DJing! Yes, 40 years, phew! Also, I've been self employed Professional for 14 1/2 years. I'm not intending to 'throw the towel in' yet. :-)

I started doing video in 2007 to be different to other DJs. I worked in a nightclub on a different night to another DJ. He never played an original song in his life, they were always remixes. I always played the originals as heard on the radio and got a much better reaction from the crowd and eventually taking over his night too. I also built a good reputation for playing requests that the crowd wanted.

I moved out of nightclubs 2 1/2 years ago to work in a Hotel chain doing mainly weddings, corporate functions, Christmas parties, band nights, birthday parties, etc. As mentioned earlier the crowd is different at every gig rather than the same crowd every week in nightclubs.

Here is an extract from my website;

DJ Les' Music
Being versatile, DJ Les has played many venues with various genres over the years and prides himself on playing what the public want. Being an 'Organic DJ', he never has a pre-defined 'set list' and happily plays requests. In some styles of music (i.e. House, Trance) he has been using 'Harmonic Mixing' since 2006.

http://www.djles.co.uk

Posté Sat 04 Feb 17 @ 1:12 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
+1

I'm happy, and satisfied if my audience is happy!
I don't really care much about the music, just the people.
I try my hardest to give them what they want!

Posté Sat 04 Feb 17 @ 3:31 pm
bigron1 wrote :
+1

I'm happy, and satisfied if my audience is happy!
I don't really care much about the music, just the people.
I try my hardest to give them what they want!

This is true. When te scream when they hear a good song and all scream the words and jump up and down(mostly old school hip hop in this town) There is a certain satisfaction to that. I love that.

Posté Sun 05 Feb 17 @ 1:44 am
+1
Yeah I can't lie here. I got another positive moment.. Those tips... and I don't mean lucky lucy to win in the 3rd.

Posté Sun 05 Feb 17 @ 3:31 pm
So.. After posting this, or even a little before posting this, I started to take a look at whats going on. Here are a few things Ive found for myself. I DJ in 4 venues where Im at, and there is one in particular that i absolutely enjoy and there is one that is at the bottom of my list and a have my in betweens.. and heres whats going on, just a little insight. So, the one place being the biggest place, pulls about 1000 people on a decent weekend night..I also DJ at this place every thursday for the 18 to party, 21 to drink gig(ugh) So Lets start with this venue. Its the best paying one I have so far. On thursdays, 18 to party, this generation of kids has this INSTANT GRATIFICATION attitude and they do the same thing when requesting songs. I WANT IT NEXT and toss my 'dude when I don't do ti the flow. there is no need to create a creative mix, they don't care and the taste in music is beyond the toilet.. the worst of the hip hop crap mixed with all radio stuff. No matter how busy it is, how many people dance, there is always a handful of females(mostly) and they put phones on my face, become demanding, always asking for something that even my music poo;ls*5 of them* hasn't even posted yet, cuz they found it on youtube.. I have grown to HATE doing this gig, so theres that. Now this same place on the weekends. a little older crowd, mostly college, Id say is just a little better, but not by much. They will take a wider range of music and creativity but again, not much. The requests are not as bad and being much much busier, they tend to leave the DJ alone, mostly but there are times. The music as I said it wider range and I can somewhat enjoy this night*Friday or Saturday* Now this club has a sound system Id say should not be in a club. the mains are fine but the subs are a row of JBL powered 15s... about 8 of them.. They hit hard but always sound weird in the club. The building its in is old but nice but the club has a concert ceiling and if very very echoy and its VERY hard to make it sound good. Very ear tiring.So with this spot, all the mixed in makes it not that enjoyable. At this place, I as a DJ have to do everything. mix my music, play VJ and do all the lights.. all myself. Kinda loses focus on DJing.Now my middle 2 gigs are pretty small and one in particular just isn't doing well as a bar. The owner won't do anything new to attract people and when we spring for an idea he will only let it run for a few weeks and stop. I feel like a glorified Jukebox..very boring in deed. The other small joint is going down that same path. Now, Lets get the the gig I mentioned above where DAMN I have the time of my life, which, unfortunately this one only happens once a month and wait till last minute to book the DJs, but anyhow, The crowd here is 20s, 30s, 40s, has been open for 40 years and has a steep history. I MC at this and a guy from the local top 40 radio station MCs along with me. There is a light guy, and all I need to worry about is my DJing. The sound system is right, the music is much more fun, just all around awesome time. So, after this whole novel I typed up, it boils down to, the venues and crowd and on the lesser end, the music.

Posté Fri 10 Feb 17 @ 6:24 am
@ Dj Andrew, you did exactly what I was going to recommend. take a look at the circumstances around you and try to identify what is making you feel this way. I live & Dj on the south side of Chicago. I love my city and am proud of the fact that House music started here BUT.... The southside will not let this oldschool music go! They demand it most of the time. I seen Djs come in and try to spin new music and they will not dance to it. They love their old school and so do i but to hear it most of the night can get a little stale. Every weekend the same stuff.

So what I did was I started remixing the old school on VDJ just to break things up. using vocals over different beats or adding beats. It has helped and fed my creative needs a little bit. We also try to slip in one or two new songs a set to start expanding their horizons and it has been working.

I know ultimately if I want to mix newer stuff I have to go to the North side where they will listen / dance to anything.

Here is something that I have to keep reminding myself..... You have to ask who are you Djing for, you or the people? If you answered you, then don' bend to what makes you happy. Find the right place that will appreciate your style. If you answered to the people, then your job is to make them dance or enjoy the music. Djing is a very selfless act. We as Djs usually measure our success by the response of the crowd and it is our job to give them what they want. If you are getting a good crowd response then you are doing your job. You have to find peace in that.

P.S. I hate doing gigs where I am just a juke box but it is easy money. Gotta take the bad with the good in life.

Posté Fri 10 Feb 17 @ 4:17 pm
wildcountryclub wrote :
plain and simple - make the mental disconnection between the over-regurgitated pop and use your acting skills to make them think they are just having the time of your lives so they will keep coming back and you keep making money.

Yep, thats what i do.

Posté Sat 11 Feb 17 @ 1:30 am
65%