Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet vdj 8 vs rekordbox dj sound difference - Page: 2

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

Hey I didn't mean to cause any offence. I thought we were on the same wavelength with the whole "whoops there it is" thing. I thought it was funny but if I have offended then my apologies. Everything else i wrote was just my opinions, which differ to yours maybe, but that's cool.

Posté Tue 07 Mar 17 @ 11:20 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Is the Crossfader Curve in VirtualDJ set to "Full" ? If not , set it so (from Options) and try again

Also, see what you have for zeroDB setting and try with "default/0db" if not set that way.

Posté Wed 08 Mar 17 @ 8:30 am
The default auto gain option in vdj could decrease the output volume and this is what i can see on the mixer's level meters from your video.
If you disable auto gain and leave the gain slider at default 12 o-clock position, the channel slider at maximum and the crossfader to the side of the active deck, master volume at 100%, flat eq's, no added effects, etc. then the sound should be as it is on the original source.
I prefer a lower output level without added distortion to be eventually processed on some good outboard such as master compressor to get a leveled sound for the entire set, but we also have the option to use some quality plugins on the master channel for that.

Posté Wed 08 Mar 17 @ 3:16 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Lossless files will have less high frequency cut off, so they're less forgiving on the ears with hi hats, this is one of the reasons why people tend to favor compressed sources over uncompressed in double blind trials, the other key reason being that most people are now more accustomed to compressed music. As for the large sound system, after 20 minutes of exposure to any loud system your hearing capacity will have been dulled to an extent whereby you'll have zero chance of identifying finer details accurately, an audiophile will have serious problems guessing the bite rate, drunken/drugged up millenials will have no chance. The bigger/louder the system the less chances anybody will have of identifying a WAV over a 320 especially after some minutes of exposure, confirmation bias works everytime, double blind testing has a very high fail rate hence the success of MP3.

Posté Thu 09 Mar 17 @ 2:21 pm

I'm going to test this myself as I have both programs, It'd be embarrassing if Rekordbox does sound better given how poor the program generally fairs against VDJ at the time of writing this.

Posté Thu 09 Mar 17 @ 2:26 pm
Settings - enter gain into search and set "ZeroDB" as default and set "auto gain" to no. If you already have a song loaded double click on the skins gain knob to reset it. After having done this the level is the same as that in VLC media player.

Posté Thu 09 Mar 17 @ 2:37 pm
Ok update in vdj 8, ZeroDB set as default , crossfader curve set at full. In Rekordbox ZeroDB set at -9 and full crossfader ( thanks to all for the help and recommendations ) sound levels are now close but sound quality does differ, ie rekordbox is much better tighter, low bass and much crisp tops the best thing of a djjsz is that you can run two laptops at the same time

Posté Thu 09 Mar 17 @ 7:25 pm
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
wmorgan12 wrote :
rekordbox is much better tighter, low bass and much crisp tops

Does changing this number makes any difference?

Posté Thu 09 Mar 17 @ 7:42 pm
good shout will give it a go thanks

Posté Thu 09 Mar 17 @ 7:44 pm
I know I should stop myself from writing this, but ... I have been over 20 years in the pro audio equipment market mainly for audio power amplifiers.
A "flat" sounding amplifier can be superior to an amplifier sound "punchy" or "warm" (common statements)
The "problem" is: A flat amplifier can have perfectly flat frequency response and low distortion (harmonics), compared to the "warm" sounding amplifier can be a little bit "EQ'ed" or have higher distortion (more harmonics) this will for the ears sound "warmer" because of the harmonics.
I don't say what is right or wrong, it's up to yourself to judge since it's a matter of taste.
But I just want to highlight the fact that a perfect amplifier can sound flat because a sound-system should be transparent and if the user want to equalize or process the sound, he should use equipment for that.
This goes for all kinds of audio equipment.
(Life is not fair) LOL

Posté Thu 09 Mar 17 @ 8:06 pm
Mr Jackson, a very good point and thank you.I too have been in the wonderful world of music for over 33 years now and yes i feel old lol but thanks for a good point

Posté Thu 09 Mar 17 @ 8:21 pm
Ok how about this, I have some albums that I've ripped to flac and when I play them in VDJ they sound dull, not as punchy or crisp when compared to the actual album.

Yet when played in SDJ or Rekordbox they sound a lot closer to the actual album does then compared to VDJ.

That's how I base my test. I've been spinning records since I was 18 and I'm 41 now. I'd like to think I have a little experience and somewhat know what I'm talking about...

Posté Thu 09 Mar 17 @ 8:47 pm
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :

Yet when played in SDJ or Rekordbox they sound a lot closer to the actual album does then compared to VDJ.

There are sound differences, and VDJ probably needs some improvement, however the video that's shown here is only able to demonstrate level differences, which only existed due to settings that were not like for like.

Posté Thu 09 Mar 17 @ 10:26 pm
Oh OK that's my bad then I misunderstood what he was saying .

Posté Thu 09 Mar 17 @ 10:31 pm
Hi just a quick recap on the sound differences and settings ( please dont go my the levels in the video as the two songs are out of sync )
settings in vdj are zeroDB set at default and full crossfader curve master at full , settings in rekordbox -9 zeroDB crossfader set to full the master set at 3 o"clock and yet rekordbox had lots more volume and a much better sound tried loads of different tracks yet the results where the the same VDJ just does not sound as good even my 4 kids noticed the difference in sound so did my wife and thats saying something lol

Posté Thu 09 Mar 17 @ 10:51 pm
There's a problem somewhere in the chain, output level isn't an inherent problem with the software, using a DJM-900 I'm able to have VDJ hit the red on each channel with minimal gain applied. I have the gain level set at -3 to create more headroom (to avoid the softwares limiter from kicking in).

Posté Thu 09 Mar 17 @ 11:09 pm

In VDJ soundcard settings, how does your selected device appear?

Posté Thu 09 Mar 17 @ 11:11 pm
pioneer ddjsz i just click it and press apply will set it all back tomorrow and take a screen shot thanks

Posté Thu 09 Mar 17 @ 11:15 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
ohshit wrote :
wmorgan12 wrote :
rekordbox is much better tighter, low bass and much crisp tops

Does changing this number makes any difference?

That shouldn't change anything.
If EQ is set to 12 o'clock it should be off and not affect the sound at all.

Posté Fri 10 Mar 17 @ 9:20 am
bagpuss wrote :

In VDJ soundcard settings, how does your selected device appear?

Here is a screenshot

Posté Fri 10 Mar 17 @ 5:36 pm
45%