Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Music Library Sorting methods

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

So, Just want to get some ideas on how other DJs sort their music. In the file system I have things sorted but main genre and separated by vids and audio.. but I'm not looking to change that. Being an open format DJ, how are you guys in VDJ sorting your music? I thought about among the Top400 all time, creating virtual folders for "4x4 Dance Remixes 120-129" Then another for "4x4 Dance Remixes 110-119" Then "Trap" and. so on.. things like this that would help me flow through my night better but I'm not completely sold on my idea and was wondering what other are doing or maybe someone has an amazing way they could share. Thanks for your input.

Posté Fri 17 Mar 17 @ 9:57 pm
Personally your method sounds confusing to me, I am not saying it's wrong, just does not work for me. I think as individuals you have to group things in a way that makes sense to you. It takes some control though, it can quickly become muddled. Keep it simple to what you think it should be, after all nobody else will have to work your system out.
Personally I have one main folder that is sub-divided into 12. This contains main groups of genres that are common songs, with one dedicated into 'New 2017', so if I want, for example 80's Disco, I have about 150 most popular in there, likewise for Rock, 90's, Indie etc... The rest of my music is just in the list as the actual albums.

Posté Fri 17 Mar 17 @ 10:31 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Nice to meet you Micky.
Did your Xmas bookings work ok?

We seem to be old time, I have 3 main folders.. music, video, and karaoke split as you describe (except for karaoke which is split by brand). It's similar to how my record and cd cases were organised.

The thing is I could work if the vdj search function did not exist, thats a bonus.

I suppose you also have female, male and groups folders?
Also I have an Odds & Sods folder.

Posté Sat 18 Mar 17 @ 2:45 am
Im mostly an open format DJ and play in clubs in a college city and also a few times in a club that brings later 20s, 30s and 40s. so I have everything sorted by, I would say, radio format. Top40, Urban, Dance, and so on. However, Im trying to break that down a bit more into more focused categories within VDJ. Right now Im toying with and Folder I call "Crazy Mixes" and what that contains is these twerk, trap, or some other crazy remixes of popular current and recurrent tracks to keep me sounding different. I also have a trap folder, and "4 on the floor" folder for dance tracks I know that work well in these locations. I have other folders as well.. Im just seeing what others have done that may give me a great idea to also try. Just want to have a better flow when Im out

Posté Sat 18 Mar 17 @ 7:54 am
MediaMonkey.
with tags in grouping, mood, occasion ...ect.

Posté Sat 18 Mar 17 @ 1:53 pm
Nice to meet you Bigron, New years eve went stunningly well thanks. So well in fact that I am getting all the kit together to go back out on the road....I enjoyed it that much!

One thing I didn't mention on my sub folders, is that I leave a 'Blank' one for situation specifics, E.G. New Years Eve I made a folder with stuff like a countdown, the Auld Lang Syne, Croud applause, Big Ben bells and some suitable tunes for the post midnight restart. So I had easy access to all the relevent stuff without having to search for it.
I imagine any function can benefit from such a folder done in advnce.

Shows my age, but never heard of media monkey..... :-o

Posté Sat 18 Mar 17 @ 3:18 pm

I guess everyone willl use a different method. Personally i make sure everything is tagged completely. The label field I use for the decade, the rating is for the energy level, the colour are for if they are good songs.Green is good, orange is ok, and red means dont play unless there is a gun to your head. On my hard drive, all songs are in one folder. I then just use filter folders to sort. If i suddenly decide I need all irish pop music from the 90's which is green or orange and and energy level of 3+ i can create a filter folder in 10 seconds to do that.

Posté Sat 18 Mar 17 @ 5:37 pm
Not sure why that image uploaded twice :/

Posté Sat 18 Mar 17 @ 5:38 pm
I have just had a nee laptop so decided to have a sort out of my music as I moved it across

I music has been ripped from cd's over many years and some of the older stuff was badly tagged so I decided on using music brains picard to re-tag and move the files, at the same time is has re named all the files , embedded the artwork, and sorted them into artist folders,

After the move I had 12,000 files left in the old directories, combination of temp, desktop ini files and cover artwork, which I have just deleted

Less than 400 tracks not re-tagged which I am pleased with as some of my cd's were ripped decades ago and only consisted of a directory names and track numbers.

Posté Sun 19 Mar 17 @ 7:53 am
I really like the colors .. I didn't know you can do that in VDJ8

Posté Mon 20 Mar 17 @ 3:37 am
I use the comment-tag for some infos:
--- for warm-up/lounge tracks
=== for main-time tracks
### for floorfillqr/bangers
<!> moderation tracks
<<< Intros
also the noun (00s 10s 80s etc.)
all comments includes the energy and the key (tagged via MIK)
then I started to tag #1 (no.-1 Hits) or T Hundert (charts) in the comment

and reduced the genres down to 18 main-genres. So it's very easy to extract just in time the next track:

Another nice trick is to put well working tracks in the comment. So they are shown up automatically while searching:

Hear and tag music every day; it's a never-ending story ;o)

Posté Mon 20 Mar 17 @ 6:46 am
It certainly is yeah, I think i spend way more time tagging and organising music than actually djing.

I use the comment tag to note if the track mixes well into another track. For instance, "Pia Mia - Boys & Girls" Mixes really well into "Mantronix - Got To Have Your Love" so i will put in the comment field "mixes well into Mantronix - got to have your love"

Posté Mon 20 Mar 17 @ 8:44 am
MickyMix250 wrote :
Shows my age, but never heard of media monkey..... :-o

This is mediamonkey

Since I have movies and other media files, My desktop is my database and MediaMonkey is my media player. I also have music for listening in my car that is on my phone. Then its my dj laptop, so I needed some way to keep the music organized and synced to 2 other devices. And MM did that for me. Well with the help of FreeFileSync. Heres a few pics, you have questions just ask.In the VDJ8 pic it shows an Itunes export from MM, thats how I populate My dj laptop. I use the grouping field as my main tagging criteria. Then it all exports as an Itunes Music Library. Also sync my phone with my personal listening music. This is FreeFileSync how I clone my music drive to my dj laptop. Its copys files automaticcally when i add edit or do anything in the folder i set to be cloned.

Posté Sat 25 Mar 17 @ 6:15 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)