Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Visual waveforms display incorrect data : non-existend slopes and curves being shown

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I have included 2 examples. There are slopes and declines visually where there are none in the actual song. It makes the visual waveform less useable for visual feedback. And apart from that: It doen't look very smooth:: lots of sharp 1 pixel edges etc. Not very pleasing to the eyes. Think it has been better before. Just saying. ;-)

but the main thing here : incorrect data is being shown with nonexistent slopes and declines

Please check it out.

Posté Wed 21 Jun 17 @ 8:07 pm

Posté Wed 21 Jun 17 @ 8:10 pm
sorry about triple posting that. Something went wrong with my browser!!

Posté Wed 21 Jun 17 @ 8:12 pm
OK so if those pics are of the incorrect waveforms - what are they supposed to look like?

Posté Wed 21 Jun 17 @ 8:46 pm
eumm well. download these thracks for yourself and compare. There are no declines. Its straight beats 4 on the floor...same level all the way through the intro.(Ed Sheeran Remix) and the "Dont be shy" one doesn't make sense at all. It stopped being a useful source of information these waveforms. Something is wrong with the plotting of the waves.

I'm not making this up.

Posté Wed 21 Jun 17 @ 8:51 pm
its a FRUIT SKIN issue. other skins dont have the issue. Ill post it there

no its worse with Fruit Skin. But other skins have it too. Incorrect and incoherent visual patterns.

Posté Wed 21 Jun 17 @ 9:46 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It looks like a bug with fruit's skin. There's a waveform defined with a width of 10000, even though the total skin is only 1920 pixels wide:
<songpos class="songpos4"><size width="10000" height="1"/><pos y="-10"/></songpos>

After that, all waveforms are calculated at 10000 pixels wide, which causes the problems with when drawn on much smaller sizes.
The waveforms continue to be calculated at this size even when changing skins, so to properly check other skins you need to restart vdj after changing skins.

Posté Thu 22 Jun 17 @ 9:16 am
Thanks for replying Audion. I think its worse with the Fruit Skin. However the problem is there with other skins as well, albeit more mildly: Showing inclines and declines whenever there aren't any musically or in those frequency ranges. Please check it out with the pics I provided. I can send you the songs if you need them. It just seems off and it impairs visual navigation and anticipation of drops, breaks and structure. It might be something that can be solved with aliasing or better interpolation of the data.

It just shows very weird spikes and declines where non would be (musically / frequency-wise) expected.

Thanks

Posté Thu 22 Jun 17 @ 9:43 am
Have you tried with a different skin AFTER restarting VirtualDj as Adion suggested ?
It's critical to restart and NOT load Fruit's skin before do any more testings

Edit:
Better yet, remove Fruit's skin from skins folder, restart VirtualDj and check again.
I cannot reproduce this issue here, but I don't have Fruit's skin installed

Posté Thu 22 Jun 17 @ 9:53 am

Posté Thu 22 Jun 17 @ 10:00 am
OK well, yours looks better than mine ;-) will try removing and restarting as proposed. will check

Posté Thu 22 Jun 17 @ 10:15 am
Adion wrote :
It looks like a bug with fruit's skin. There's a waveform defined with a width of 10000, even though the total skin is only 1920 pixels wide:
<songpos class="songpos4"><size width="10000" height="1"/><pos y="-10"/></songpos>

After that, all waveforms are calculated at 10000 pixels wide, which causes the problems with when drawn on much smaller sizes.
The waveforms continue to be calculated at this size even when changing skins, so to properly check other skins you need to restart vdj after changing skins.

Has FRUiT been informed of this?

Posté Thu 22 Jun 17 @ 5:10 pm
I just did an experiment:

Loaded a track into a deck of of the original FRUiT skin (with the "error") and took a screen grab.

Modified the XML and changed the 10000 to 1920, restarted VDJ and loaded the same song, took a second screen grab.

Comparing the two waveforms, there's barely any difference. Certainly not enough for me to notice and complain about it.
I'm not that familiar with the intimate details of my song waveforms!

Posté Thu 22 Jun 17 @ 5:40 pm
groovindj wrote :

I'm not that familiar with the intimate details of my song waveforms!

So why even comment?? It's not like you helped him out a bunch ;-p

Posté Fri 23 Jun 17 @ 9:37 pm
I just can't grasp the concept that he (apparently) managed to spot the difference in waveforms without both 'before' and 'after' being on screen next to each other at the same time.

I did have both on screen - although admittedly not the same track(s) as him - and the differences are tiny.

He didn't post the 'before' images so we don't know what differences he's seeing - but I'm just astounded that he can tell by looking at a waveform that it's different to how it looked when he loaded it in an earlier build. WTF?

Posté Fri 23 Jun 17 @ 10:43 pm
groovindj wrote :
I just can't grasp the concept that he (apparently) managed to spot the difference in waveforms without both 'before' and 'after' being on screen next to each other at the same time.

I did have both on screen - although admittedly not the same track(s) as him - and the differences are tiny.

He didn't post the 'before' images so we don't know what differences he's seeing - but I'm just astounded that he can tell by looking at a waveform that it's different to how it looked when he loaded it in an earlier build. WTF?

I actually can and obviously did. I have over 20 years of DJing and a lot of studio time in my system. I know my waves by now. If a wave shows something different than I am supposed to see (just by comparing it to what I'm hearing) I know something's off. The difference is quite big though. (My post of the waveforms and PhantomDJ's post of his, look above) I dont need a before / after confirmation. I just know by looking at the wave. ;-) But as I said you don't have to be a genius as the difference is quite big.

p.s. I want back in beta Team. I'm crazy with details. You want a nerd like me on board. I actually was. But I was in hospital and couldnt contribute for a long time. So they let me go. However I'm back on track and sharper than an eagle with a big razor knife ready to haunt dev team in their dreams ;) ;)

Posté Mon 26 Jun 17 @ 9:59 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It should look better in build 3790 in these cases

Posté Wed 28 Jun 17 @ 10:27 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)