Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet AKAI APC Mini, AKAI MidiMix and Axiom 25 mapping problem

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hello.

I have Numark PartyMix controller hook up with VDJ8 and it works fine... But I need more knobs so i can handle more effects for each deck, so I wanted to map Axiom 25, or APPC mini, or midimix... whatever will work, i just want to map knobs for different effects in different decks... But when I try to map it (I have tried to map Kill_High frequencies...), it shows like its mapped (i move the knob and it gives signal and all) but when I start song and try that knob, it just doesn't work... Does anyone knows what could be the problem? I have that VDJ that costs 49$ version, maybe I need better version ?

Also, cant find effects in mappings, only Kill_high, Kill_low, bass, treble... No echo, no reverb, beatgrid... where are those, how to map?

I got gig coming up next week, I would really appreciate if anyone can help..

Posté Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 6:40 am
For the second question you need to map the no of the effect slot or the name of the effect. It's all done using vdjscript

This is free from memory because i'm not at a laptop:

Effect_select will choose the effect
So for instance this mapped on a button:
Deck 1 effect_select 'echo'
Will choose effect echo in current effect slot

This will choose it and turn it on and off:
Deck 1 effect_active 'echo'

You can also choose effect slots with something like:
Deck 1 effect_active 1 'echo'

You can then map the sliders for adjusting the effect with something like:
Deck 1 effect_slider 1 1
For deck 1 effect slider 1 on effect slot 1

Again this is untested from memory, but should be pretty close. You should also check the vdj script section in the wiki section of this page to learn more

Posté Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 7:11 am
Another thing:
Depending on the layout of the controller it may be a better option to map it to the pad page section, and then create custom pad pages for everything you need. That may give you a more flexible setup

Posté Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 7:15 am
Thanks for answering, I'll read about VDJScripts mroe. But I'm not sure why not even Play, Stop, Pitch, Kill_high, Kill_low etc. doesn't work when I map it?
I'm sure I do it right ( I watched tutorial on yt on mapping) , and It shows like btton is mapped for exaple PLAY button on APC MidiMix, and when i go to tracks and press button it doesnt play? Or doesn't kill high, or bass...nothing happens?

Posté Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 7:27 am
That was the first question.
Does vdj automatically detect that it's connected and ready when you look at it in settings -> controllers

Posté Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 7:30 am
Sorry, I can see your answer for the second question only, looks like there is no your first question answer ? Your first post starts with " For the second question..." ?

Yes, conrollers are recognized in settings/controllers...It looks ok there

Posté Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 7:35 am
Dj Brand00 wrote :
Yes, conrollers are recognized in settings/controllers...It looks ok there

So where it says "LoopBe internal midi..." on this screenshot, it says your controller name on yours?
Without needing to choose "Show all compatible controllers"?

Does it then list a lot of default mappings below?
And does it say "Custom mapping" to the right?

Posté Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 8:07 am

Posté Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 8:17 am
Yes, the name of the controller and Custom mapping are there, but no list a lot of default mappings for AKAI MidiMix and I wanted to map that, or Axiom 25... I will try APC Mini, I'm not sure right now if I tried that also, but I will check (maybe for that controller there is default mapping already implemented in Virtual DJ, but I would like to know how to make it myself for any controller...like axiom or akai midimix and I'd like to know if its possible or no, is it because of my version of VDJ or because it simply is not supportd by VDJ or because I dont know how to do it :)

Posté Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 8:45 am
Dj Brand00 wrote :
Yes, the name of the controller and Custom mapping are there, but no list a lot of default mappings for AKAI MidiMix and I wanted to map that, or Axiom 25... I will try APC Mini, I'm not sure right now if I tried that also, but I will check (maybe for that controller there is default mapping already implemented in Virtual DJ, but I would like to know how to make it myself for any controller...like axiom or akai midimix and I'd like to know if its possible or no, is it because of my version of VDJ or because it simply is not supportd by VDJ or because I dont know how to do it :)

Oh, yes - I didn't notice that
If your bought a license only for a specific controller, then VDJ should only work with that controller
But with for instance the supscription license you should be ok

If you want to map a controller VDJ doesn't know, you need to create both the Definition file and Mapping file from scratch, so that's a bigger task
It's described how to do so here (I've never done this myself):
http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Controller%20Developers.html
After you are done you can upload it to the add-on section for others to use :)

But yes, I would start with the APC Mini (after any possible license issues are sorted)

Posté Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 9:08 am
BTW: It's NOT a good idea to map "buttons" on sliders/encoders and vice versa...

What I mean: the "eq_kill_high" action is a toggle (turns on/off with the press of a button)
It's not meant to be used on encoders/knobs/faders as an action.
On the other hand, "eq_high" action is a gradual "fader like" action that can be used on knobs/encoders/faders but not on buttons.

Therefore depending on the actions you want to map you need to use the right elements.

PS:
deck 1 effect_slider 'echo' 1 should always control the first slider of echo effect on deck 1 no matter if it's loaded on a slot or not, or what's it's slot number

Posté Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 10:44 am
Ok, thank you all for help. I guess I need to pay more money to play with more controllers...My god, it could't be more complicated I guess... btw my payed version of Virtual DJ (49$) also stopped working for some reason (interrupts every 10 minutes, and I am logged in and support doesn't know whats the problem yet - we re still in searching ) and now i need to pay 19$ more to use other controller..not cool if you ask me

also, that script language, man... I think that it all can be much much more simpler so people can make music and enjoy themselves and not to lose their time on this things...

Posté Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 11:31 am
Of course I will help the community with mapping If I succeed to make it right... But I'd really like that VDJ pay more attention to simplicity and creative side and possibilities, and to think if people that use their products are happy or not. I see a lot of problem here and on internet with the software, a lot of questions, a lot of different versions, subscriptions, pay more to get this, pay more to get that, and what not...And happens that even if you pay it doesn't work... Just it would be better if company is not so focused on earning money, but to think a little more about general needs of people that use their products.

Posté Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 11:38 am
Dj Brand00 wrote :
also, that script language, man... I think that it all can be much much more simpler so people can make music and enjoy themselves and not to lose their time on this things...

This is actually what makes VDJ better than other DJ softwares
If you have asked your question for another software the answer would have been
1. No, that is not supported
2. Yes, that is supported, but you can't change what it does

VDJ has made it possible to do just about anything by adding the VDJ script -and I'm loving it :)

Posté Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 12:08 pm
Dj Brand00 wrote :
Of course I will help the community with mapping If I succeed to make it right... But I'd really like that VDJ pay more attention to simplicity and creative side and possibilities, and to think if people that use their products are happy or not. I see a lot of problem here and on internet with the software, a lot of questions, a lot of different versions, subscriptions, pay more to get this, pay more to get that, and what not...And happens that even if you pay it doesn't work... Just it would be better if company is not so focused on earning money, but to think a little more about general needs of people that use their products.

Actually it's really simple
- You pay for everything you get everything
- You pay for one thing, you get one thing
And VDJ is the only product where you don't get charged more than once for something like extra features or add ons and so on
That's probalbly the reason it cost $299. I paid that in 2006, and haven't paid anything since - and I got access to everything

VDJ is actually the product with the fewest issues if you compare them (try looking at the Serato or Rekordbox forums if you want to get scared!), and if you simply buy a controller and use it as is, it's really simple to setup and use. You simply install, attach the unit (it may have drivers on windows), click "Accept" and you are ready to mix

I hope that's how it worked with your Numark PartyMix when you first got it

It's only if you want to start mapping and get creative it get's complicated
That doesn't happen in other software - because they simply can't do all this stuff :)

Posté Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 12:11 pm
Regarding getting cut of after 10 min, it's because VDJ detects that you are using something you are not licensed for

It could be you are not logged on with your controllerist credentials
It could be that you have tried to use "external mixer" setup
It could be the second controller you are testing

If you clean that up, and use only the controller you are licensed for, setup with internal mixing to master and headphones, I bet it works

But I still think you should go pro - then there are no more licensing issues and you can do anything
Also the pro license (either subscription or infinity) is the only one you can use if you want to do gigs and make money doing it

Posté Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 12:21 pm
I guess you're right... It just pisses me off when it just pops up with error and not explaining what is the actual problem! you know, you pay for it and then same thing happens, same error pops out. I haven't seen anywhere warning that you can't use other mixer or controller or else it will block your software... I am logged in so I guess its because of the akai midi or mini that it blocks software.. will try without them if it works fine, just with controller that i have licence for.

And yes, I guess when you learn how scripts work it can be really cool, but it just seems a bit too complicated for me at this moment... I will try to figure it out more.

anyway, I think i will have to buy that subscription licence for month for now... thanks for advice and all

Posté Tue 22 Aug 17 @ 12:37 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The message that pops up should indicate which controller it is that you don't have a license for.
Also, after the popup disappears, only the controller without a license should stop working, so your PartyMix should continue to work even when your akai is connected.

Posté Wed 23 Aug 17 @ 5:51 am
yes, you are right, licenced controller continued working... but I think it didnt tell me why and what controller or device is not licenced, just some default message.. anyway,i payed for subscription licence and now everything works :)

Posté Wed 23 Aug 17 @ 6:28 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)