Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet vdj and why people might overlook it. - Page: 3

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

hh73PRO InfinityMember since 2006
i think you dont realize not everyone who uses this software is a mobile dj. thats the point. in your world it wouldnt affect you. mine it would because of "rules" i did not create. but like having an iphone. because its cool. people will use what they see. I DONT WANT TO BE FORCED TO RUN REKODBOX BECAUSE I HATE IT. there are other apspects of djing besides mobile. and i have a 9-5. that i want to uni for. but for health reasons had to retire. music is my therapy. so thats my thing. not hating on you. no offense but its not just about you. if yourr grindin and getting paid, thats great.

but for djs who do it for free for parties where there is no booze, or fancy lights. and just a good soundsytsem. and everyone takes the music as serious as church. thats my world. they can both exist.

peace

Posté Tue 24 Oct 17 @ 6:31 am
Well what a thread!

Back on topic.

I have often questioned the software title virtual dj' as hopefully we are all real dj's on here

So when you think about and analyse the name it is a bit strange, but maybe atomix know something we don't, maybe there are already working one version 45 which is self aware ready for when the machines taken over !

The trouble is to change the name now would be a very costly rebranding excersize, things change over time and this piece of software has gone from a desktop app to mix two mp3 files, to a fully integrated application to do everything from mixing to sampling, controlling lighting, video, sampling, music management and downloading , the list goes on .

Take a look at Windows, it's all tiles now.....

Posté Tue 24 Oct 17 @ 6:54 am
it has been for a while a serious dj app. i just think mixing djs dont know that. (young ones). and yes the virtual part makes it seem its self automated. but at the same time. they are successful.

but the comment i posted could have ended by exactly what you just said. not into the mess it became. i think djing itself (not mobile) is becoming a bit too self animated. i saw someone djing with just an ipad. and it kind of killed the vibe a bit. now paris hilton djed at burning man :(.......

lol

still as someone whos probably the best or one of them stated a long time ago. its the songs you play and the order you play them. i just dont want robots to do it. vdj still has an organic vibe to it. which i like.

Posté Tue 24 Oct 17 @ 7:15 am
sureview. try installing "classic shell" its free. no more tiles unless you click on an icon. and you have both.

Posté Tue 24 Oct 17 @ 7:16 am
For a moment, let's forget that I work for Atomix.

I will just express my own personal point of view:

I can't understand why the DJ's are so picky on the name of the product they use (or don't)

I can understand comparing feature sets, stability, workflow, even the looks. But the name ?

Do you really know what all the branded names in the world mean ?
Do you know what Honda, Yamaha, Hyundai, Toyota, Mercedes, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Ford, Chevrolet, Buick, Porsche e.t.c. mean ?
Right, they don't mean anything. They are brands named after the last name of their founder. However that didn't prevent these brands to be successful, right ?

Let's try again:
What do you know about Porsche ?
That it's a cars company that produces high quality super fast cars ?
Did you know that Ferdinand Porsche (the founder of Porsche) designed VW Beetle ?
BTW ? What kind of name is "Beetle" for a car ?
I mean... wikes! Are you really going to buy/use a car named after an ugly bug ???
Nevermind, you don't need to answer that... Beetle is the 2nd most successful car ever made!

Final question:
How's Traktor more appropriate name for a DJ-ing application when on several languages it means this?

or this ?

So, all of you that you think that the name "Virtual" is inappropriate, please explain me how "Traktor" is a better one ?

Disclaimer:
I don't have anything against Traktor and it's name.
As I said, I believe that all this "the name is wrong" hype is just bs
Finally, I repeat that I only express my own personal point of view

Posté Tue 24 Oct 17 @ 10:27 am
for that matter what does Serato mean in any language? if I put the word serato into google translate then nothing comes up to even associate it with music or dj'ing in any language I told it to try to translate to.
VirtualDJ has dj'ing implied in the name as well as implied use of computers for doing it.
Traktor eh... I can see 'track' as in music track being implied. but that's about it.

I'm perfectly fine with the brand saying what I use right where it is and the way it is.

Posté Tue 24 Oct 17 @ 12:08 pm
Disclaimer:
We DON'T bash Traktor here.

Native Instruments is a company located in Germany, Europe.

Therefore, translate "Traktor" from German to English:
https://translate.google.com/#de/en/traktor

So, see what Traktor means in the native language of the company that produces it ?
I don't see anyone complaining about that name.
Yet, you have users complaining about "VirtualDJ" name against "Traktor" which supposedly "sounds more professional against VirtualDj that sounds more amateur / toyish"

Conclusion:
No one can convince me (personally) that there's something bad in the name "VirtualDJ"
Yes, there are plenty of reasons that we can discuss why VirtualDJ does not have the attention it deserves among certain groups of dj's and blogs.
However the name ain't one of them.

Posté Tue 24 Oct 17 @ 1:11 pm
I wasn't bashing it... just observing let's say?
locally we get various military units from around the world who cross-train at the base close by (and the German and Dutch units REALLY like to party) but they come up to the booth and there's usually a dj or two in their units and we end up having the usual discussion of virtualdj vs traktor. granted they're more focused on the music in that part of the world and they love using their software but I've shown them what it can do and a number have left saying they need to give it a try. I hope they have.
nothing sells as good as success and a functioning product - and it functions quite nicely for me.

Posté Tue 24 Oct 17 @ 1:20 pm
wildcountryclub wrote :
nothing sells as good as success and a functioning product

Exactly. Well said.

Posté Tue 24 Oct 17 @ 1:50 pm
wildcountryclub wrote :
I wasn't bashing it... just observing let's say?

I didn't said you did... :)

Unlike you (the customer) I have to be extra careful when I express myself since despite the fact that I express my own personal point of view, I'm still an employee of Atomix and these are public forums.

Given the fact that English is not my mother tongue, it's more a "better safe than sorry" case when I mention other software titles in here. :)

Posté Tue 24 Oct 17 @ 1:55 pm
I have a VirtualDJ T-Shirt given to me a few years ago at The BPM Show at the NEC, Birmingham.

I wear it proudly when setting up and tearing down every week at the Hotel (have to wear a dress shirt when working). When I worked in nightclubs I would proudly wear it while DJing.

Come on Atomix it's wearing out, I need more T-Shirts!!!

I'll be first in the queue for a new one. :-)

Posté Tue 24 Oct 17 @ 3:55 pm
I love vdj and personally don't have a problem with the name, it's a great software tool and I would not be without it, you could call it cold baked beans and it would still be my platform of choice!

I have never been one for brand names, or third party reviews, if it works for me then i stick with it.

Maybe i have made some bad choices ......

I had windows phones when everyone I knew went apple..... Mind you i did have feature like copy and paste, offline mail composition, multitasking etc, years before the trendy apple phones, even if it was not as slick it had the functionality i wanted. And i have just unlocked my two year old Lumina with my face to log in here lol

I think this thread was started to get a response on whether or not vdj was seen as a trendy brand name. Many companies has spent millions in re branding as markets change, my opinion is keep it the same and spend the money developing the product even further.....

Posté Tue 24 Oct 17 @ 4:10 pm
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
"VDJ and why people might overlook it"

Because Sera.. is excessively advertised and perception rules because everywhere up turn you SEE Sera.. stamped.

VirtualDJ T-Shirt is a excellect idea and should be given out as the DJ wearer proudly illustrates where his/her heart is. IMHO

Posté Tue 24 Oct 17 @ 5:10 pm
thats part of my point. im sick of seeing sertato stamped on every. all my stuff has it stamped on there. yet vdj to me is much better. id wear the shirt. but i llive in germany and some NI employee might chase me :)

Posté Tue 24 Oct 17 @ 7:12 pm
Hi there I have just been waited for this subject in a long time!
VDJ bad name? What Dj phantom said he is right it's not about the name!
I remember , when I was playing on turntables1210's in early 90's I have been using them because they was installed in club and plus that was popular format that time!
1210's was most trusted peace of equipment for that time!
I have used cassette type deck as well and cd's when they came out!
I have used pretty everything I had!
So when I have moved on cd's bla bla bla I have already could hear from new generations dj's saying ooh you using cd's you are not professional dj!
They mentioned some dj's, House dj's! They said hey,have you seen what they still use? I have said you mean on the dj's who make couple lad's shaking their heads in the corner in the night club and plus they don't know why they doing that? probably just to don't look stupid ?all night unknown tracks!
When I was going on DJ Academy back in 1997 our teacher mentioned that computers taking over we all in class laugh that was funny yea he said the dj programs coming soon which will be able to run radio stations automated we did not believed for that time that was really funny!, but now he was right !
In year 2000 I have used 1210's then searched on line and I have found program which called BPM studio I was not happy with that program was so hard to use,then I have found final scratch, time code ,I have said I'm going to use with my turntables nice ,this program has been crashing many times I was very disappointing about software's,that time, then for the first time found program what was called atomix when I have tried that program I must say it was stable ,what I really like it about software's is that you could use same song on both decks where with 2 LP's you could not do that and you could not forget or lose your records...
It was not so easy to move from analog to digital straight away at all but VDJ make me do it in 2004 I have started using vdj more and more based on my teacher from school I could see that is coming all true what he said in1997 I have said I have to move with it and I don't wanna stay and be left behind with technologies because this is what is coming digital age so I'm not regretting or bashing digital era I have got used it and I like it!
now I have used all of them VDJ/Ser/Trak/Rec and all I can say try what works best for you
I will start with Trkt ,waves are drifting,poor track list options,browser and folders that's what is putting me away from software,resolution not much space on the screen
Ser,waves are drifting ,playlist and folders similar reason ,computer getting to hot
Rec 5.0 tags are crap ,sound harsh ,playlist ,browser is slow ,resolution not much space on the screen, browsing only in collection folder that's poor,program not responding while analyzing track ,computer getting to hot
VDJ8 waves are not drifting even on old computers or low spec ,nice playlist organization tagging easy to do and rely fast, sound very flat ,browser is fast ,browsing in all folders don't mater where you are in what folder,with vdj you can analyzing the track in the middle of the mix no probs very stable!
This is some of my reasons why I use Vdj8 my complain about vdj 8 is just default skin,the only good thing that is with vdj8 you can use different one I personally use Phantom dj skins because they are better than any of the above mentioned software thanks phantom you are the King....

My Conclusion for all Trk/Ser/and Recbx you guys need a mac or high end pc to run it or that would not maybe help you to cure the symptoms I have found on those software's (Never tried on high spec computers) I Don't know..
not good to organize your music, maybe good for house dj's who got 10 tracks to play set and that's it then you don't need even browser in this programs
VDJ 8 Running smoothly even on low spec computers no overheating which make sure is very stable,if you got large music collection I would recommend VDJ8 because is the best!

My conclusion real dj or not ? pro software or not ?equipment does not make you a dj !
Many DJ's had 1210's but they never been the one!
Many DJ's will have Trk/Ser/Rec and VDJ but they never will be the one!
In my eyes you are dj if you playing out or not ?not what you use!
Dj Means good knowledge of music and trusted person with confidence for playing of variety of music and genres in public !
This who complain about what you use I got message first be a Dj then buy what you like to use !
How many people know on what I'm playing probably 1% you make sure that people like what you are playing and you are ok they don't care what you are using,they care what you playing...
non of this dj software's gonna make you a dj if you are not the one!
Equipment are just tools we use and bye bye chicken pie!

Posté Wed 25 Oct 17 @ 12:08 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)