Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet The "MY LIBRARY" isn't correct. - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

Greetings,

Wow what a tool. The "MY LIBRARY" application is fantastic.

BUT!!!

Going through the "Added Today" folder it is NOT accurate. I downloaded 3 tracks tonight yet I get 56 tracks that go back to June this year.

Also the 3 tracks I downloaded tonight didn't show up until I did a "Add to Database". I still don't understand why a manual "Add to Database" even exists. This process should be put into the VDJ startup string. Why is it still like this?

Continuing:

The "Added Yesterday" has nothing in it. Yet I can see them incorrectly displayed in "Added Today". There should be 6 tracks there.
The "Added 7 days" goes back to June 2017.
The "Added 30 days" goes back to 2016
The "Added This Year" has nothing in it.
The "Top 200 New Video" has 79 tracks. Should have 200 right?

So the question is... is there anything I can tweak to correct all these incorrect results? Perhaps delete this "My Library" and reload it?

Anybody else have the same problems?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Posté Thu 16 Nov 17 @ 10:42 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Which date are you looking at?
The one used by the My Library filter folders is the 'First Seen' date, which is the time the track was added to the VirtualDJ library.

Posté Thu 16 Nov 17 @ 10:52 am
Adion,

I didn't tweak anything. I installed "MY LIBRARY".and am using the default settings.

Something is wrong. I don't know what yet.

Here is what "Added Today" looks like. Today is the 17th and I have NOT loaded any tracks. Yet several appear.

Posté Fri 17 Nov 17 @ 6:42 am

Its "first seen" by the software.
And not the file date on your computer.

So lets say you bought or downloaded a few tracks a week ago, put them in a folder called "november tracks".
And then for the first time opened that folder in VirtualDJ today, they would all say "first seen" today.

Posté Fri 17 Nov 17 @ 1:45 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
JimmyL-DJ wrote :
Here is what "Added Today" looks like. Today is the 17th and I have NOT loaded any tracks. Yet several appear.

If you select a folder in VirtualDJ, then it adds its tracks automatically to database (if not already there).
So while you browse though your folders, VirtualDJ will add in the Database, any tracks that were not present by that time, and those will get the current data as "First Seen" date
If you dont want this behavior (VDJ to automatically add new tracks to Database when a folder is selected), then you need to disable the setting autoSearchDB to No

Posté Fri 17 Nov 17 @ 11:02 pm
Tonight I downloaded several tracks to several different folders. To go to every folder and do an "Add to Database" is not very prudent.

Tonight I opened VDJ, went to LIBRARY, and selected "Added Today". There were none. And I had added 6 new tracks before launching VDJ. So they haven't been seen yet.

Then I went into the Master folder that have subgroup folders of the different genres, and did an "Add to the Database". (to the group)
Now in LIBRARY I have the tracks I downloaded tonight. Plus other tracks from 2 days ago. There should only be "Added Today" tracks nothing else.

Is this program working properly for anybody?

DJDad can't the programmers scan the drives/folders for new tracks on bootup? Why the extra step of having to manually add new downloads with "Add to Database"?

At least give us a checkbox system to allow us to mark the track folders so no time is wasted scanning anything else. Then VDJ reads these marked folders and automatically put the songs in the Database. Can that be done?

Jimmy

Posté Sun 19 Nov 17 @ 8:00 am
JimmyL-DJ wrote :

DJDad can't the programmers scan the drives/folders for new tracks on bootup? Why the extra step of having to manually add new downloads with "Add to Database"?

Oh god, hopefully not! Then it would be as clunky as iTunes

Your DJ program is supposed to be streamlined, and only search within, analyze and work on the part of your music collection you want to use when DJing.
More precise body of content then gives you faster search time, smaller management footprint and better and more precise search results for tracks you actually want to play

I think that goes for all the major DJ programs out there.
Some are then great at adding and analyzing more content on the fly (like VDJ), while others work better if you prapare all tracks in a separate step (like Serato).

Posté Sun 19 Nov 17 @ 12:33 pm
For what it's worth...
I use the 'my library' addon for quite some time (many months).. everything works as advertised for me. I've never had it even slightly stray from accurate reporting and displaying in appropriate folders/categories.
I've also NEVER click 'add to database' for any reason.

Just wanted to chime in and confirm it is and has for long time worked flawlessly for this VDJ 8 user.

Posté Sun 19 Nov 17 @ 12:49 pm
JimmyL-DJ wrote :
Tonight I downloaded several tracks to several different folders. To go to every folder and do an "Add to Database" is not very prudent.

Tonight I opened VDJ, went to LIBRARY, and selected "Added Today". There were none. And I had added 6 new tracks before launching VDJ. So they haven't been seen yet.

Then I went into the Master folder that have subgroup folders of the different genres, and did an "Add to the Database". (to the group)
Now in LIBRARY I have the tracks I downloaded tonight. Plus other tracks from 2 days ago. There should only be "Added Today" tracks nothing else.

Is this program working properly for anybody?

At least give us a checkbox system to allow us to mark the track folders so no time is wasted scanning anything else. Then VDJ reads these marked folders and automatically put the songs in the Database. Can that be done?

Jimmy

VirtualDj scans the folders as you traverse them.
Normally this should not be an issue for a typical Dj workflow.
I don't know how's your workflow but I fail to see the importance of information whether a track was added today or two days before, especially if you didn't use the software these two days.
Now, back to the root of your issue:
For a typical Dj workflow all tracks are under a main folder (with several subfolders) on your drive and not scattered to various different places.
If that's the case then a right click->add to search db is all that's needed to do every time you add new songs on your library.
As you probably can see by yourself, adding new songs to database is a resource intensive task because VirtualDj asks the OS for the contents of all subfolders of the folder you use the command.
Depending on the size of your library and the speed of your drive this can take quite some time.
I'm sure you don't want the software to take up to some minutes to be performance ready when you start it because it scans for new files.
Instead VirtualDj is performance ready as soon as it starts.
Personally I add new tracks on my collection about once per week.
However I start VirtualDj several times per week. It would hit my nerves if every time I had to wait for it to scan around 2000 folders for nothing.
That's why it doesn't scan your drives automatically, nor it's a good idea to do so.

PS: VirtualDj had by far the most simple library update procedure among DJ software. On several other DJ programs you need to import your new tracks manually!

Posté Sun 19 Nov 17 @ 11:12 pm
Phantom,

I'm only looking for accuracy in this program. Tonight I'm looking in my "Added Last 30 Days". I have a large list. I take it they got discovered when I did a "Add To Database" for the master and it's sub folders two days ago.

I just looked in my "Added Today" folder. There is a list of songs. Their "First Seen" data is 11/19. Today is the 20th. Why are these songs there?

How about giving us an option to use "First Seen" or "File Date". I would be picking "File Date" I want to see the tracks I downloaded in the proper "Added' display.

When I want to see songs I added say in the "Last 30 days". I want to see the songs I downloaded in the last 30 days...Not ones "First Seen" that I downloaded last year. It makes "Last 30 days" inaccurate.

And about scanning on bootup. I've gotten caught several times at gigs doing a SEARCH for a song and it doesn't show up. Then I have to remember which folder it's in and scan it. Lately I've been shotgunning it by doing a BATCH "Add to Database" to the MASTER folder.

Now that I did that BATCH procedure to the MASTER folder, maybe LIBRARY will straighten out. We'll see.

Is there a way I can use "ONINIT" to do the "Add to Database" in folders I specify?

:P.S. Could you please add "FILE DATE" to the TAG EDITIOR?

Posté Mon 20 Nov 17 @ 6:44 am
1) File Date is a field that can't be stored on the database (because it can change at any time). Therefore it's data are calculated (queried) every time you visit a folder.
On big folders this can significantly slow down the browser, mostly because VirtualDJ has to wait for the OS to come back with all the file dates. Therefore it's not advised to have this field visible on your browser.

2) Any Program/Task has a starting point. You need to allow some usage before you can have the proper results: My brand new car can't calculate a proper MPG values while I drive it home from the shop I bought it. It simply doesn't have enough data to analyze my driving profile and my average routes. However a month later it has enough data to be close enough to reality.
Same rule applies here. There's a starting point (the moment you hit "Add to search DB" for the first time on the folder containing your entire library). This starting point is a few days ago for you, it's June 2007 for me. While you are close to the starting point, some results may produce "unexpected" results. After a while though, the data will start flowing on a regular basis and the calculations can be accurate enough to deal with.

3) Under no circumstances VirtualDJ can show what happens on your hard drives themselves. It shows what happen inside it's own entity (the database). VirtualDJ can't possibly know when you download a track, rip a CD e.t.c. It knows when it saw the file for the very first time. That info for someone who's using the program regularly is enough and very close to reality for DJ'ing purposes.

4) The "My Library" plug-in is a set of pre-made filters to showcase what can be done with them. You can edit or add new filters to achieve any results you may want. Their only limitation is the one you hit: They work against software database, and not against your filesystem. Please take a look at their queries and read the on-line manual and Wiki about them. As soon as you understand how they work I'm sure you can come up with your own filters that will give you the exact results you want.
If syntax is an issue (mostly for complex queries) we are here to help you.

5) Yes, "Search" works against the database. If you didn't had add all your files on the db, search wouldn't know their existence until the first time you visit the folder containing them or drag them to a deck from Explorer/Finder. You can expect "Search" to work much better now.

6) There's no script command that will add tracks to db. However you can use a work around as soon as the "autoSearchDB" setting is left to the default value 'yes'

browser_gotofolder 'X:\Folder\Subfolder' & recurse_folder

Keep in mind that this operation can take up to a minute to complete even on a SSD drive.
Therefore instead of using it ONINIT, I would advise you to map it on a custom button and just hit it when you start the software and you actually feel comfortable to do so.

Posté Mon 20 Nov 17 @ 8:21 am
I know everyone will have their own procedures for adding new music to their database. Here's mine (trying to keep it brief and failing lol);

I like to keep up to-date with the current Top 40 charts. So, every week I check for new entries and download them to my internal SSD.
I use an external 2Tb Hard Drive and have Music Database, Video Database and Karaoke Database master folders. For example, in my Video Database folder I have a sub-folder for each year which is sub divided into the months of the year. It's a simple matter of transferring new music from my internal SSD to the external HD into this current months folder.

Next, I open VDJ and navigate on the left of the screen to the External HD Video Database folder, right click and Batch Add to Search DB (which adds anything new in the sub folders beneath). Progress can be seen in the feedback window above the centre panel. Once that is complete I then navigate to the filter 'Not Scanned' which will show in the centre browser panel any tunes that need analysing. Highlight those and scan them. After that all new tunes are setup in the database and can be searched for.

If I then enter My Library and check the filter Added Today the new tunes show up as expected.

Some further steps I do; I have playlists for the current Top 40 Singles Chart and the Top 40 Dance Chart. I update those every week to reflect the current charts. I colour the tracks accordingly to indicate their genre (my own system) and also insert the first Cue Point and have VDJ set in the options to load to the first Cue point. In the Tag Editor I use Discogs to fill in the Tags which helps with My Library (I often change the genre to better reflect the tune).

These procedures I do every week so that I know exactly what is in the current charts, what genre they are, they are analysed and load to the first Cue Point.

I've recently been updating the filters in My Library and still tweaking them for my own use. Once you learn how the filters work there are some errors that are easily fixed i.e. Top 400 Added This Year was set to 2014. As long as there is good information in the Tags (that's where Discogs is very useful) then My Library becomes more and more useful.

Sorry, the post got a bit longer than intended. Hope some of this info is useful.

Cheers
Les

Posté Mon 20 Nov 17 @ 10:09 am
Thanks Gentlemen

I understand the analogy with the car re-learning its condition after a battery disconnect // re-connect. I'll let this BATCH "Add to Database" settle in. Hopefully the filters will straighten out.

This LIBRARY is an incredible tool. Even with these annoyances It will still serve as a considerable improvement in my music management.

Totally LOVE VDJ 8.2 I'm having a blast with it. So much better than spinning 45's.

Posté Mon 20 Nov 17 @ 11:49 am
I dunno guys. My "LIBRARY" is still INACCURATE.

I have been going to my Master Folder after a download session (which is every day),and doing a BATCH & ADD TO DATABASE. And "LIBRARY" seemed to be getting smarter and more accurate.

Tonight is disappointing. My "Added Today" has tracks from yesterday. And "Added Yesterday" is empty. I did indeed download yesterday.

Harder to tell with the others. It's definitely not right.

Do you think using "File Date" would fix this issue. This "First Seen" code seems to have issues.

And I would still love a config setting to allow me to "Add To Database" on bootup. My machine is fast and I doubt I would detect any slowdown. Would you please add an option to allow this. Have a pop up window with check marks for perhaps 10 custom folder choices. Then have a YES/NO option to "Add To Database" on startup. An ONINIT command would be acceptable.

Other than the inaccuracies this program is AWESOME. Huge potential for increasing my performance. Thanks Guys & Girls. Excellent work!!!

Posté Mon 27 Nov 17 @ 9:10 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Well the code behind the "Added Today" looks like this:

exists = 1 and days since first seen <= 1

I don't know what the function "days" is calculating, but if it is calculating full 24h hours starting from the second of "first seen" the could be an inaccuracy.

I.E:

If you add songs lets say at 6 PM on 1st Jan. 2000 and open up VDJ again at 3 PM on 2nd Jan. 2000. For you it is a new day, and the songs added yesterday should show up in "added yesterday". But if 24h hours are calculated, they are not over yet and so it is still the same day for the program. Resulting in the songs showing up in "added today"

I don't know if VDJ works like this. But could be a possible explanation.

Posté Mon 27 Nov 17 @ 10:02 am
I dunno what's going on with your system as mine is working fine and as expected.

Just to be clear these are a few of the "Added" filters on my system, are yours the same?

Added Today
exists = 1 and days since first seen <= 1

Added Yesterday
exists = 1 and days since first seen <= 2 and days since first seen > 1

Added 7 Days
exists = 1 and days since first seen <= 7

Added 30 Days
exists = 1 and days since first seen <= 30

If they are, then that would eliminate "My Database".
Then next need to check with the Tag Editor to see what is stored in FirstSeen.

Cheers
Les

PS. Top 400 Added This Year was set to 2014 and I had to change it to 2017.

Posté Mon 27 Nov 17 @ 10:08 am
Thanks very much for the help.

Today the "Added Yesterday" started working correctly. But there is an issue in "Added Today". I have tracks with a "First Seen" as 11/27 and it is now 11/28. I added one track tonight, and it displays correctly with a "First Seen" as 11/28.

Pardon my ignorance. i went looking for the XML file for LIBRARY. I can't seem to find it. Can you give me a hint please?

Posté Tue 28 Nov 17 @ 8:45 am
\Documents\VirtualDJ\Folders\My Library.subfolders

Posté Tue 28 Nov 17 @ 8:55 am
THANK YOU! I was there and didn't see it. I have a bunch of folders in there.

Here is what my code looks like for "Added Today":

<FilterFolder filter="exists = 1 and days since first seen <= 1" scope="database" />

Posté Tue 28 Nov 17 @ 9:06 am
It's working off a day as a physical 24 hour timespan as it doesn't know the difference between today and yesterday.

So if you go in a 9 this morning it will show tracks added since the same time yesterday.

Posté Tue 28 Nov 17 @ 9:25 am
71%