Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Timestretch Algorithm

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'm curious to know what time stretch algorithm is used in VDJ8? And how it's been optimised for DJ purposes?

I wonder if there's any further scope for improvement? It's certainly improved to a usable standard, but any quality increases here would be welcome.

The addition of a soloist option would be nice for manipulating acapellas, so we lose that 'rushing' sound on medium to high rate increases. It would need to be accessible on the fly though, i.e on the deck controls. The sampler would also benefit from the option, it could be applied to specific banks, i.e solo instrument or vocal banks.

Posté Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 4:51 am
bagpuss wrote :
I'm curious to know what time stretch algorithm is used in VDJ8? And how it's been optimised for DJ purposes?

I wonder if there's any further scope for improvement? It's certainly improved to a usable standard, but any quality increases here would be welcome.

The addition of a soloist option would be nice for manipulating acapellas, so we lose that 'rushing' sound on medium to high rate increases. It would need to be accessible on the fly though, i.e on the deck controls. The sampler would also benefit from the option, it could be applied to specific banks, i.e solo instrument or vocal banks.

It's a standard algorithm, but I'm not sure if it's public knowledge which one, so I'll let the the devs answer that
But looking at your level, you probably have access to the info somewhere on the VIP boards :)

If you haven't already done so, you can set the quality to 3 in the settings (default is 2)
It's hard for me to tell the difference though, unless I play a drums only track with the pitch change set down below 50% of the original pitch or so

I agree with you that it's excellent. Probably the best/match any other pro DJ software out there
(the worst one by far is Seratos stretch engine - unless you pay extra for the pitch n' time upgrade)

Posté Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 11:19 am

Feel free to higher the level of the thread, if thats what it takes to get an answer on this.

So it's one extreme to another with Serato, because PnT blows everything out the water, I guess the relationship between them and Serato is an exclusive one?

Still that's not to say better isn't possible within VDJ.

Personally I hear the artefacts quite early on (3-6%) (quality at 3), there's substantial loss to the highs and the kick becomes less reliable.

I would pay for a plugin if it meant substantially improved results.

Posté Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 2:29 pm
Pretty sure we’ve been down this road and always get told “sounds good on my machine “ or something to that effect.

Posté Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 2:35 pm

It's decent and perfectly usable, but there's room for improvement.

Posté Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 2:55 pm

Posté Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 7:10 pm

I would imagine it's Elastique efficient then , I wonder if the used algorithm is the latest version. Fortunately for my request, Elastique efficient does have a solo mode, so implementation in VDJ shouldn't be too difficult IF the algorithim is indeed Elastique.

Posté Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 9:43 pm
If you are a beta tester you can see which algorithm and version is currently used in the beta release notes.

Posté Wed 03 Jan 18 @ 12:05 am
klausmogensen wrote :
If you are a beta tester you can see which algorithm and version is currently used in the beta release notes.

I never opted back in to beta test as I don't have the time to test every build. I wouldn't mind testing the odd build if it adds something of interest.

Posté Wed 03 Jan 18 @ 12:32 am
Ok... then I'm probably not allowed to say anything.

Posté Wed 03 Jan 18 @ 12:35 am
Thank you for posting that question, I am new to all of this and every bit of information helps!!

Posté Wed 03 Jan 18 @ 9:56 pm

Bump (incase the question was missed).

Posté Thu 25 Oct 18 @ 10:24 pm
I did a comparison between the old and new quality levels a while ago in case you missed it:

Posté Fri 26 Oct 18 @ 12:14 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)