Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet Getting the most out of Virtual DJ 8

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

tcdjgeoHome userMember since 2015
Hi Everyone,

First let me say that I am for the most part a Wedding DJ. I do all types of events and celebrations, but weddings make up about 95% of my work. I used to work bars and clubs, but no longer. So please keep that in mind when you are reading this and offering advise, thank you. Having both club and wedding experience over the past 30+ years, I have used and going through almost every piece of gear, format, and software you can think of, so my perspective is my own. However, most of the suggestion and features I discuses below are features I have used in other DJ software, or have been mentioned before. I believe these 7 features would help most of us get the most out Virtual DJ 8. By the way I do prefer VDJ8 over other DJ software, I don't want to sound like I am not a big fan of this software, I just think it could be better.

1. The ability to find any song in any folder, any play-list, anywhere, beginning with the first letter in a song by hitting that letter on your keyboard. This is a standard feature in other DJ software, and on any Windows computer Ctrl F will find any word beginning with the letter that you enter, this idea can't be foreign to people reading this.

2. Be able to see Deck A or Deck B or something flashing as the song comes to the end. Perhaps having parameter set at 10, 20 or 30 seconds. As the song is ending and it hits that parameter that you set, something on the deck would flash indicating the song is about to end. Another feature already implemented in other DJ software. I suggest this be an option in my case and I'm sure others because you get distracted talking to people constantly at an event who have no idea how much time is left on the song. If I saw something flashing at 30 seconds I would know I would have to concentrate on having the next song cued up and ready to go. It's very difficult to find the time remaining with your peripheral vision, if you have three people standing in front of you, perhaps members of the bride's family and they want a song played or something done instantly.

3. How about a lock on a play-list. Example, I don't want to inadvertently move a song by accident because I'm again distracted by something or somebody. It would be nice if there was a way to lock the order on the play-list so that doesn't happen unless you want it to happen.

4. Increase the size of the font and color for time remaining in Automix. As others have described they often use this as a Que list/wait-list for songs to be played. I often build the last hour of the night and I need to know exactly how much total time is left based on the songs that are in that wait-list or Que. It would just make it easier to see if the font and color was slightly bigger.

5. How about the ability to build a virtual play-list and have it retain the order in which the songs were dragged and dropped. Just as in a play-list there's a tab that allows you to Keep Sort Order. Again this is something that many other people have touched on, why doesn't it keep the sort order.

6. How about the ability to hide the Hot Q Box, Loop box so it's not visual on the skin until you want to use those features. From my personal experance as a wedding DJ of 30+ years most of my clients don't appreciate those features when they request a song and want it played in its original form that they're familiar with.

7. The ability to Overlay a Notepad for the names or events that are happening throughout the day that need to be quickly referenced. You could even have this note page lock itself to the screen as an overlay and work with a transparency value that would allow you to see and access the Decks underneath. Again other people have touched on some of these great ideas and it doesn't seem to get anywhere.

I realize the staff at Atomix Productions can't make every change that someone would suggest. The program would most likely be unstable, and less reliably (which IS the most important feature to me). However, I don't think the features I am requesting are outrageous or would cause an issue with stability and reliability. In fact the features I am requesting are features that I have used in other DJ software in the past.

Again, I don't want to sound like I am not a big fan of this software, I am, I just think it could be better.

To the staff at Atomix Productions, please consider these important features to make the most our experience using your software, thank you.

To the other hard working DJ out there, please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you.

Posté Fri 09 Feb 18 @ 6:35 pm
djdonnPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I'd like to add to this: A variable length pause feature that can be added to an automix playlist. For example, I'd like to be able to play 10 songs in a playlist then have it pause for 2 minutes then restart.

I'd also like to see a stop feature that can be added to an automix playlist, so it doesn't have to play the entire play list at once.

i'm not sure how the pause and stop would or could be saved to an m3u file, but still... the ability to insert pauses and stops in a playlist would be awesome.

Posté Fri 09 Feb 18 @ 6:59 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
You could create a "silent track" of 2 mins length and load that to the autmiox playlist where you want a 2 min pause.
Not quite variable, but I know people doing it like that.

Posté Wed 14 Feb 18 @ 8:45 am
tcdjgeo:

Most of your wishes could be done with some scripting or skinning actions.

1 for example is part of the "My Library Tool"

2 could be done with an Action like this: "songpos_remain 30000ms ? blink : on" an a button or Jogwheel LED, depending on your gear.

Posté Wed 14 Feb 18 @ 9:14 am
tcdjgeoHome userMember since 2015
Hi, Is it possible to make a VDJ8 skin blink on a Windows PC. That is what I use, no controller. Thank you.

Posté Wed 14 Feb 18 @ 2:22 pm
PachN wrote :
You could create a "silent track" of 2 mins length and load that to the autmiox playlist where you want a 2 min pause.
Not quite variable, but I know people doing it like that.

Thanks, I do that now. Not quite as convenient but it works. Would be nice to do a right click insert stop or right click insert pause.

Posté Wed 14 Feb 18 @ 2:30 pm
tcdjgeo wrote :
Hi, Is it possible to make a VDJ8 skin blink on a Windows PC. That is what I use, no controller. Thank you.

It is. Some Skins do have that function implemented.
If yours doesn't blink you have to modify the skin yourself.
I'm not a skin expert, so I can't help you much here.

Posté Thu 15 Feb 18 @ 9:29 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
For 1: Did you try the search in vdj? If you already know the name of the track, just type a couple of letters from anywhere in the title to find it. You can even combine it with just a few letters from the artist by separating with a space to further narrow the search down.
That's probably faster and more accurate then looking at all the tracks that start with the same first letter.

If you still want to see all your tracks, type * in the search box, this will show all your tracks.
Then you can sort by title by clicking the title column, and with the list focused, you can press the first letter to jump to that part.

Posté Thu 15 Feb 18 @ 9:43 am
Adion wrote :
For 1: Did you try the search in vdj? If you already know the name of the track, just type a couple of letters from anywhere in the title to find it. You can even combine it with just a few letters from the artist by separating with a space to further narrow the search down.
That's probably faster and more accurate then looking at all the tracks that start with the same first letter...

He did mention 'playlists' in his suggestion. I second that. I'd also like to include the ability to search history, as well. I always rename my history playlists to include date, client name and event. It would be really, REALLY nice to be able to search the history playlists.

Posté Thu 15 Feb 18 @ 1:44 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)