Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet AutoMix 'Full' Exit POI keeps changing location according to next song in automix list - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

Hi,
This issue has been troubling me ever since I've upgraded from v7 to VDJ 2018.

I'm using the 'radio' automix mode (aka Fade Out, Cut In).
This mode is using the Full Start & Full Exit POIs.

However, after I set the Exit point (and I can see it on the deck's waveform).
If I replace the next song on the automix list to a different one, it will affect the location of the currently playing song's exit point.
It seems like it's trying to make sure the songs are beatmatched (although autoMixBeatMatchOnFade is set to No).
The result is that it sometimes cuts the currently playing song abruptly before the end (because of the short fade that I've set).

Why is this happening and how can I fix it?
I want the song to fade at the location I set and to start the next song without fade.

Posté Sun 21 Oct 18 @ 5:22 pm
This is not new in Auto Mix. It has something to do with the BPM. What you have to do is look at the track waiting to play. If you notice the cue point look off then right click on that track and select BPM. Once in BPM click on either the +2 or the /2. You will notice the cue point on the waiting track moves to where it should be. If it is the end cue point that is wrong you have to wait until the track starts playing to notice the cue is not right. Just follow the same procedure as above to correct it. I have told Atomix about this when VDJ8 first came out. I even sent them samples of tracks that were affected. Funny thing is that it is not necessarily the track. If you put the track that is off next to a different track, the cue point is alright. I found the best Auto Mix type is fade(remove intro outro). This type has fewer cue point problems.

Posté Sun 21 Oct 18 @ 11:56 pm
Thank you for the answer.

Looking at each track as it starts playing defeats the purpose of automix, since it is used by me when I'm unavailable and not next to the computer.
If each new track brings with it a new change in the POI position, this is unmanageable..

The Fade (intro-outro) adds a fade at the beginning of the next track which I don't want.
I want the next track to start at full volume from the point I've defined.

Moreover, when I use a fade option, if the fade is set for example at 1sec and the song starts immediately on the 0:00:00 mark, then 1 full second of the song will be cut out.

Is there any other solution for this issue / bug?

Posté Mon 22 Oct 18 @ 3:50 pm
If you use auto mix length 0 sec it will not fade out.

Posté Mon 22 Oct 18 @ 8:48 pm
fallguy66 wrote :
If you use auto mix length 0 sec it will not fade out.

I do want the fade out.
I just don't want fade in.
The "Fade (Fade Out, Cut In)" option is the one that should provide that functionality but it is misbehaving..

Posté Tue 23 Oct 18 @ 12:28 am
It will not fade in either.

Posté Tue 23 Oct 18 @ 6:12 pm
I have raised a topic on this before but it never got fixed.

Posté Tue 23 Oct 18 @ 7:51 pm
fallguy66 wrote :
It will not fade in either.

If it cuts the end of songs (because there's no fade) it is problematic.
Many songs have a very long fade, and I want the song to move to the next one, so I put the POI somewhere after the fade begins.
If fade length is set to 0, it will sound abrupt when it switches to the new song.

Posté Tue 23 Oct 18 @ 7:53 pm
Where ever you set your cues is where the song will cut. Using fade (remove intro/outro) and 0 sec, the program will react like none (back to back). I suggest this only because I have found it causes the least problem with the trouble you are experiencing. To be clear however, you must set your cue points for the type fade (remove intro/outro). I went through all my tracks, about 8300) and set each one for where I wanted the beginning and end of each track. I have cues set up for the fade (remove intro/outro) and for fade out cut in (remove silence) The latter gives me more trouble with the problem you are having than the fade option. With the 0 sec however there is no fade in or out which I want.

Posté Tue 23 Oct 18 @ 8:57 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
I have raised a topic on this before but it never got fixed.

I do not think they can fix it without changing the whole program. This never happened in VDJ7. When they rewrote the program this started, VDJ8. So maybe in VDJ9 this will be fixed!

Posté Tue 23 Oct 18 @ 8:59 pm
What you need to do is a bit time consuming, but it works. In VDJ7 we were able to move the cue point on the waveform itself to reset it, but this is no longer available in vdj8. This is how I solved this problem. On the right of the Automix button, there is a small button for automix options. Click on that button then click on Automix Editor. You will see all the songs listed on the left, with the waveforms on the right. Scroll through them, and at every song you will see a blue line. That is where the songs transition. Use the mouse wheel to zoom in or out on the waveforms. If you hover over the blue line, a double sided arrow appears which allows you to increase or decrease the length of the mix. You can also drag the waveform to the position you want the transition to start or end. As I said it takes some time to get this done, especially if you have a long playlist, but it works. Hope this helps.

Posté Sat 24 Nov 18 @ 6:52 pm
Dangerousdwc wrote :
What you need to do is a bit time consuming, but it works. In VDJ7 we were able to move the cue point on the waveform itself to reset it, but this is no longer available in vdj8. This is how I solved this problem. On the right of the Automix button, there is a small button for automix options. Click on that button then click on Automix Editor. You will see all the songs listed on the left, with the waveforms on the right. Scroll through them, and at every song you will see a blue line. That is where the songs transition. Use the mouse wheel to zoom in or out on the waveforms. If you hover over the blue line, a double sided arrow appears which allows you to increase or decrease the length of the mix. You can also drag the waveform to the position you want the transition to start or end. As I said it takes some time to get this done, especially if you have a long playlist, but it works. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your suggestion :)

Automix Editor saves the POI location only for that specific pair of songs.
This means that if you move one song in your playlist, then the automixing won't work correctly for the new song pairs..

Posté Sun 25 Nov 18 @ 1:28 am
No it will not, because the song before and the song after will be mixed at the end and start of the song you are removing. If you replace any song, it will have to be remixed with the pre and post songs. No other way I can think of.

Posté Sun 25 Nov 18 @ 6:13 am
As logical as what you say may sound, it is not the case with the Automix Editor.
It will only create transition points for the specific pair of song you are editing.
I have just tested it again to be sure.

I've put an end-of-song point in Automix Editor in the middle of the song.
When I've changed the next song in the playlist, it defaulted to the original ending point.
When I've put the original second song back again after the first one, it showed the point I've set previously in the middle.

Posté Sun 25 Nov 18 @ 4:03 pm
I don't see what the problem is. It's not an "issue" or a "bug".

Automix is designed to transition from one track to another (say A to B). If you mess with it by changing the tracks after you've set POI's, then of course things will change - because it's no longer mixing A with B. You've taken B away and replaced it with C, so the transition you applied when it was A to B is no longer valid. It shouldn't be, because they're now different tracks. Chances are that they will need different settings.

Make the decisions about the tracks in your list first, then do the tweaking with POI's etc. Don't set things up then move tracks around!

Disclaimer: I never use Automix. People hire me to DJ at their event, not a computer. :-)

Posté Sun 25 Nov 18 @ 4:43 pm
groovindj wrote :
I don't see what the problem is. It's not an "issue" or a "bug".

Automix is designed to transition from one track to another (say A to B). If you mess with it by changing the tracks after you've set POI's, then of course things will change - because it's no longer mixing A with B. You've taken B away and replaced it with C, so the transition you applied when it was A to B is no longer valid. It shouldn't be, because they're now different tracks. Chances are that they will need different settings.

Make the decisions about the tracks in your list first, then do the tweaking with POI's etc. Don't set things up then move tracks around!

Disclaimer: I never use Automix. People hire me to DJ at their event, not a computer. :-)

You're confusing a few issues.
First of all, there are certain events that require some automated playing (for example, at a wedding when the food is served, or at a party you both DJ and have to manage different things).

Second, as a DJ you should know that preselecting all the tracks is fundamentally wrong. You should be changing up the tracks according to the crowd in realtime.
Therefore, Automix Editor isn't that helpful.

Third, my original post is referring to the POI Editor and not the Automix Editor.
This was a feature that functioned properly in VDJ 7 and since then got broken.
It is now unreliable and will not automix the tracks in the locations you've preselected for the songs.

Posté Sun 25 Nov 18 @ 5:03 pm
NaSh567 wrote :
You're confusing a few issues

No I'm not.

NaSh567 wrote :
there are certain events that require some automated playing

In your opinion maybe. Personally, I would never set my computer to play music and walk off. I'm the DJ, I'm the one who plays the music - always.

NaSh567 wrote :
preselecting all the tracks is fundamentally wrong

Then why are you using Automix? Why are you not DJing yourself?

Anyway this is now veering off topic, so I'll stop there.

Posté Sun 25 Nov 18 @ 5:15 pm
Just to reply.
In my case, I manage a social Latin dance floor, I both instruct, DJ and dance with the students all throughout the evening.
I'm always next to the computer and I keep mixing up the playlist every 2-3 songs according to the crowd and the vibe of the evening.
However, since I'm dancing with students, I can't run off when the song is about to end and therefore I'm relying on automix.

And to stay on topic -
Automixing is one of the features that sets VDJ apart from other DJ programs which don't support it.
Yes, a true DJ that is there only to DJ will not use automix mostly.
However, since this feature is now half-broken, a main advantage this program had on its competitors is now lost, and I think this should be a priority fixing it.

Posté Sun 25 Nov 18 @ 5:24 pm
We just need a working "radio mode" which works without mucking about with the editor and POI points.

Been asking for this for years.

None of the modes available just work.

Posté Sun 25 Nov 18 @ 7:09 pm
As I stated above this was not an issue in VDJ7. In VDJ8 the BPM is somehow involved. I have all my BPM settings off and still have the problem. The reason I say it is a BPM problem is that when I see the cue point for the waiting song too far to the right I can right click on either the track playing or the waiting track, select BPM Editor, and then either click on X2 or /2 and the cue point will jump back to where it should be. If one is using automix however, one should not have to watch the program constantly.

Posté Sun 25 Nov 18 @ 9:05 pm
87%