Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet mixed in key

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

there's this webiste. mixedinkey that claims to
- detect song key
- detect song energy
- suggest cue points

it currenlty supports import/export with trk, srt, and rkd.

has anyone here tried it?
if so, does it work with vdj?
and, does it measure up to its promise?

Posté Fri 26 Oct 18 @ 1:41 pm

Posté Fri 26 Oct 18 @ 1:57 pm
DJShahar.com wrote :
there's this webiste. mixedinkey that claims to
- detect song key
- detect song energy
- suggest cue points

it currenlty supports import/export with trk, srt, and rkd.

has anyone here tried it?
if so, does it work with vdj?
and, does it measure up to its promise?

Just don't let it set cue points for you
Here's how I have my settings

Posté Fri 26 Oct 18 @ 4:14 pm
hrdnxPRO InfinityMember since 2011
How can VDJ read the Energy Tag level
I don't want to add it to my Comment field

Posté Sat 27 Oct 18 @ 3:28 pm
hrdnx wrote :
How can VDJ read the Energy Tag level
I don't want to add it to my Comment field

it is not supported by VDJ so you must add it to a supported ID3 field if you would like to see it in VDJ.

Posté Sat 27 Oct 18 @ 5:44 pm
Tags in the files. Not VDJ DB.

VDJ has the option, and they exercise it well, what to read, what not to read and how to interpret what they read.

In my own custom built app, i read all tags. and attempt to out put them all. you would be amazed at how much garbage some songs are filled with. This ID and that ID.

VDJ users generally have no need for it, so VDJ ignores it completely.

Initial Key: is a a real key found in id3.org
TKEY
The 'Initial key' frame contains the musical key in which the sound starts. It is represented as a string with a maximum length of three characters. The ground keys are represented with "A","B","C","D","E", "F" and "G" and halfkeys represented with "b" and "#". Minor is represented as "m". Example "Cbm". Off key is represented with an "o" only.
So, VDJ reads that tag.

In my opinion
Energy Level, Key, and Camelot (VDJ: Harmonic) are very useful in finding the next song when I'm on a roll.

A dj not knowing how to use Energy level, Key, and Camlot is simply more work. I used to create my own db with my own fields for energy. but hell, if mixed in key will do that automatically, then great.

For a tutorial to learn about Camelot and Key watch these 2 videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUcx19ZEqPQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxq36qom2LI

Posté Sun 28 Oct 18 @ 9:13 am
Thanks for the videos, they are very interesting.
In one point the speaker says that the Camelot scale has to do with energy (based on how you move)
Could this make the analysis done with MIK unnecessary?

Posté Mon 29 Oct 18 @ 1:35 am
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
Virtual DJ has come a long way, what your thoughts on still using MIK to analyse the key rather than using VDJ now?

Posté Fri 08 Mar 19 @ 2:23 am
lincol2 wrote :
Virtual DJ has come a long way, what your thoughts on still using MIK to analyse the key rather than using VDJ now?

I don't think that VDJ has changed it's key detection engine for the last couple of years. So my guess is that the success rate is still around 2/3, and MiK is about 10% better - but since there are no perfect rules for track keys, it's still up for a lot of debate...

Posté Fri 08 Mar 19 @ 7:34 am
After some recent inspiration with VirtualDJ [VDJ] 2020 / 2021 (and with extra time and isolation, during 'isolation/lockdown'),
I started to use Mixed In Key [MIK] with a existing VDJ v7 database, and I have some queries:

--> How to force VDJ to read BPM and INITIALKEY fields, from ID3 tags of MP3 songs ?
I want to re-analyze the MP3 songs, with MIK and start to store the Camelot keys and BPM/Tempo information into the ID3 tags.
I have an old VDJ .xml database, but it's from VDJ v7 and I want to use it with VDJ 2020.
However, the existing information (cue-points, BPM, keys) in this .xml database are from VDJ v7.

I want VDJ 2020, to read the information from this .xml database , ie. use the new MIK BPMs and Keys ?
I have analyzed a few songs, just to test and I don't know if VDJ is actually grabbing the information from the tags or not.
In some examples, it looks like it (e.g. if the song was NOT in the .xml database before),
but for some songs that are in the .xml database already, it seems VDJ does not read the BPM or the Key tag from the MP3 (which has been analyzed by MIK).

Then again, I also feel that MIK does not write the keys into the "INITIALKEY" (Key) tag either?
I'm discussing MIK support about that.

--> i also found out from MIK, that there's an "Energy" ID3 tag field.
Does VDJ support this field?

PS:
I already searched through VDJ forums, to find some information but I could not.
I also read this thread too:
MIXED IN KEY TAG ISSUE WITH VDJ
-- https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/181721/General_Discussion/Mixed_In_Key_tag_issue_with_VDJ.html

Posté Sun 12 Jul 20 @ 9:01 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)