Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Shortcut keys stop working when cursor is clicked in browser area - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

why does some shortcut keys stop working when cusur is clicked in browser area? help advice please on how to keep this action from stop freezing.

Posté Wed 30 Jan 19 @ 10:04 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
 Best Answer It's also an option that you can turn off, named browserSearchByFirstLetter

Posté Wed 30 Jan 19 @ 3:32 pm[ selected best answer by Adion on Tue 02 Apr 19 @ 1:23 pm ]
That is the expected behavior and is pretty consistent on most Dj'ing software where keyboard mapping is available. Why would you want it to continue to work?

Imagine if "a" was mapped as say play/pause and then you wanted to search for a song that contained the letter "a", well you can see what would happen if the shortcuts did not get disabled.

Posté Wed 30 Jan 19 @ 10:10 am
As Mr DJ Mel writes the shortcuts needs to be disabled when you use the keys for searching

Posté Wed 30 Jan 19 @ 10:27 am
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Just press escape. I believe that gets you back to normal keyboard functionality.

Posté Wed 30 Jan 19 @ 2:54 pm
It's also an option that you can turn off, named browserSearchByFirstLetter

Selected as best answer Posté Wed 30 Jan 19 @ 3:32 pm
sorry for late reply, was unavailable, thank you all for ur assistance. mel and klausmogensen i dont recall having this prob with vdj7 tho

Posté Fri 15 Mar 19 @ 1:32 am
philw when escape is pressed it loops the song

Posté Fri 15 Mar 19 @ 1:38 am
K PHRESSH wrote :
sorry for late reply, was unavailable, thank you all for ur assistance. mel and klausmogensen i dont recall having this prob with vdj7 tho

Should be the same. How else would you do a search if you can't use the letters?

Posté Fri 15 Mar 19 @ 7:13 am
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I thought the issue was the keyboard not working when you clicked in the search area so I suggested a solution. The escape key does remove focus from typing in the search bar. A second press, with the default keyboard mapping, activates the loop.

You could remap the escape key to do nothing in the keyboard mapping which would allow it to exit from typing mode and do nothing if you press it accidentally.

Posté Sat 16 Mar 19 @ 3:17 pm
basically some keys that i set to play, pause, play sampler etc for shortcut keys, [like a,f,j etc] stop working when cusur/mouse is clicked/scrolling in browser area [where the songs are listed] i never used to have that prob on my older vdj

Posté Tue 02 Apr 19 @ 12:40 am
A few of the probably many amateur problems in VDJ:

1) There is no indication what so ever what has the focus. The input focus normally goes to the window that has the focus. Normally the focused window is shown with a hi-lighted title bar or some other way. Edit fields that have the focus typically show a blinking caret.

2) Short cut keys should never be defined with a single letter with no modifier like ctrl or alt. This prevents problems when entering text. But of course, when the search bar in VDJ has the input focus, ctrl and alt modified keys do not work either. Typically an application lets ctrl or alt modified short keys pass thru regardless if an edit field has the input focus or not.

3) VDJ does not properly handle the blinking caret for edit fields. Typically only one edit field has the input focus for every window that is being displayed. VDJ can show the blinking caret for many edit fields at the same time. Ridiculous.

If VDJ cannot handle this expected standard behavior, then why would you think there are not much more severe problems waiting to be discovered? It is clear no one that knows anything actually test VDJ. There would most likely be hundreds of problems found if it was properly tested. I don't spend much time testing things in VDJ anymore because no one seems to care, but it is common and easy for me to find problems when I do.

What window and what field has the input focus in the following image? No indication what window has the focus and no indication what edit field has the input focus since VDJ is showing the blinking caret for 2 edit fields at the same time.

Posté Tue 02 Apr 19 @ 1:03 pm
Adion wrote :
It's also an option that you can turn off, named browserSearchByFirstLetter

This is now shown as the best answer which seems to have just a little meaning for this problem. Space still works etc.... If crtl and alt modified keys worked and people were discouraged from using unmodified keys, there would be less of a problem.

Posté Tue 02 Apr 19 @ 1:50 pm
Why would we force that?
Ctrl/Alt combinations are less accessible, so for quick access might not be ideal.
There's 3 choices for shortcuts, and it's up to the preferences of the user which one he wants to use.

1) Map only alt/ctrl combinations or non-letter keys
2) Map some letter keys as well, that you could use while mixing, and use them for faster lookup of songs while browsing
(browserSearchByFirstLetter on)
3) Map some letter keys that you could use all the time, except when inputting text
(browserSearchByFirstLetter off)

I personally prefer a combination of 1 and 2 (default in vdj 8), some people might prefer 1 and 3 (default in vdj 7) and some people might not need the keyboard that much and stick with 1.

Posté Tue 02 Apr 19 @ 2:14 pm
Adion wrote :
Why would we force that?

Where did you read where I said you had to force it? I said discourage it. Why? Because it allows more consistent behavior meaning less confusing.

Adion wrote :
Ctrl/Alt combinations are less accessible, so for quick access might not be ideal.
There's 3 choices for shortcuts, and it's up to the preferences of the user which one he wants to use.

1) Map only alt/ctrl combinations or non-letter keys
2) Map some letter keys as well, that you could use while mixing, and use them for faster lookup of songs while browsing
(browserSearchByFirstLetter on)
3) Map some letter keys that you could use all the time, except when inputting text
(browserSearchByFirstLetter off)

I personally prefer a combination of 1 and 2 (default in vdj 8), some people might prefer 1 and 3 (default in vdj 7) and some people might not need the keyboard that much and stick with 1.

It does seem to be default since I tried alt+space, it does not work when search has input focus and I have not changed it and do not see where to change it.

What about the other goofy behavior?

Posté Tue 02 Apr 19 @ 2:28 pm
Don Moir wrote :
A few of the probably many amateur problems in VDJ:

Why the attitude? :) get out of wrong side of bed every day? Juts incredible having read some threads lately where you happen to post in.. Just counter productive, name calling and silly characteristics .. makes no sense ;-) Try move the bed to other side of the room so you get up on right side, sometimes :)
Cheer up and smile to the world, and you'll see it helps ;-)

Posté Tue 02 Apr 19 @ 3:12 pm
You talking to me about attitude? What about the attitude of VDJ employees who tell users 99 percent of all problems are user problems or otherwise feed users wrong information?

My attitude is not really an attitude. It is a last ditch effort to get you all to do something to fix things. Being nice did not work and being in your face works a little better. I would love to be able to give you all praise but don't see much real desire for a first class application which is what I would like to see you do.

I am almost always smiling :) I would tell you the same thing in person but you would know it was sincere and with a smile.

Posté Tue 02 Apr 19 @ 3:22 pm
Don Moir wrote :

I am almost always smiling :)

Good to know ;-) doesnt come across that way most of the time though .. but as long as you smile, longer life ;-)

Posté Tue 02 Apr 19 @ 3:29 pm
It's not about me smiling. I don't want a star, I don't need praise, I don't want things from you other than for you to give more of an effort. Most real achievements come from drive to get things done and intelligence has little to do with it. Most people want to be able to take pride in what they do as well. I still think you have the right form factor with a variety of things but to really set you apart you have a ways to go.

Posté Tue 02 Apr 19 @ 3:45 pm
Don Moir wrote :
I don't want things from you other than for you to give more of an effort.
.. I still think you have the right form factor with a variety of things but to really set you apart you have a ways to go.

Well, if anyone gives an effort, thats for sure VirtualDJ.. That everyone knows ;-)
As in ways to go, for sure .. always will be.. and its a continuous progress, if it was all done, we'd all be in Bahamas drinking umbrella drinks, obviously not the case ;-)

Sometimes things you might want come fast, other times slow . And some want Cola some want Pepsi. Impossible to please all .. And sometimes a little patience is needed if his or her particular request is not all there yet etc ;-) And sometimes just acceptance if sometimes software might not evolve exactly like you want it to etc.
And I'm sure with time, you'll feel pleased ;-) Hopefully

Anyways, as long as bed is in the right side of the room, its hopefully a good day at least ;-)

Posté Tue 02 Apr 19 @ 4:15 pm
So I take it that means you should not fix the amateur bugs I mentioned above (that have been there forever because no one that knows anything actual does any testing) or many other things and your again placing blame on someone else.

Thanks for making my point.

Posté Tue 02 Apr 19 @ 8:10 pm
95%