Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Crossfader at 100% or 0% but not recognised on software - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

Afternoon all,

DDJ RZX on MacBook Pro
VDJ 8.3

Had this for a while now including on my DDJ SX but I just assumed the crossfader was faulty as it was an old unit (7 years heavy use)

Controller Crossfader only has control from approx 14% to 87%???

Crossfader on the unit is brand new and moves nicely from 0% to 100% left to right and right to left. No issue.

However on the software, VDJ only recognises the movements up to 14% and 87%.... Very frustrating as I am still getting audio and video bleed when mixing... Any ideas on a solution?
Also when crossfader is untouched, VDJ is showing it as tiny movements of up to 5% in either direction.

Any help appreciated.

Posté Mon 27 May 19 @ 11:26 am
 Best Answer OK, Final update on this!

It IS a HARDWARE issue. Took both controller and my MacBook to the store and demo'd to service technician. Common fault apparently.

Tested my MacBook on their demo DDJ-RZX with NO issues! Been told of a 3-day turnaround time on repair or they'll loan me their demo unit for my gig on Friday!

Fingers crossed, No further issues.

For anyone else experiencing similar issues with Pioneer Units I simply recommend returning to dealer for repair.

Thank you everyone for your time, input and advice.

Posté Tue 18 Jun 19 @ 3:20 pm[ selected best answer by Adion on Tue 18 Jun 19 @ 3:42 pm ]
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Is this happening with the "factory default mapping" used for the ddj-rzx ?

When you say its a new crossfader, you mean you replaced the original part with a different/ new one ?

Posté Mon 27 May 19 @ 1:54 pm
Hi djdad thanks for the reply.

Using original factory mapper, new crossfader as in it's a new controller, brand new out the box.

Posté Mon 27 May 19 @ 4:47 pm
Can you open Rekordbox settings and see if you have applied some extra cut lag
See .. https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/user_images/s2537zSDkiAH5zFrrwDc5g.png

EDIT. Actually after reading Pioneer manual, the RZX Utilities is part of unit's firmware and its displayed on unit's screen if u press the [WAKE UP (UTILITY)] button for over 1 second. (so no need to open Rekordbox)

Posté Mon 27 May 19 @ 5:02 pm
@djdad Thank you i'll give this a go later and let you know how i get on.

Posté Tue 28 May 19 @ 7:14 am
@DJDAD, Sorry for the late response but still no resolve. I've even done a factory reset on VDJ settings thinking I may have clicked a box in error...

Still have HUGE issues with crossfader, everything else appears to be working perfectly but as i VideoDJ, This is essential!

Currently resorted to moving video CF over on the MacBook trackpad! FML! haha

Please see attached images for ongoing issue and clarification and let me know if you require more info?

Crossfader LEFT = 0% No Issue

Crossfader RIGHT = 80% NOT 100% Although CF is 100% on the controller

CF Cutlag is at 0.5mm (doesn't go any lower)

Software still registers both CF and HDCF at 78/79% instead of 100%

HELP!!! haha

Posté Mon 17 Jun 19 @ 1:04 pm
I still have this same problem on a ddj-sz with brand new replaced cross fader. Same exact EXACT issue.

Posté Mon 17 Jun 19 @ 1:48 pm
I had same issue on DDJ-SX but put it down to a faulty crossfader after 7 years heavy use but now I've got it on a brand new unit, theres clearly a bug somewhere in the software or the rappers or my settings!

Very difficult to diagnose/resolve!!! 😥

Posté Mon 17 Jun 19 @ 1:54 pm
Mappers even lol

Posté Mon 17 Jun 19 @ 1:55 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Not a Mac guy here but on Windows there are utilities to look directly at the MIDI data sent by the controller. I presume the same exists for Mac?

If you can see what the controller is sending that might help.

Also, have you tried another Mac or a PC?

Posté Mon 17 Jun 19 @ 4:06 pm
@eazydwayne2000 Can you increase the setting to 1.0 (and 1.5) ,mm and see what values VDJ reports when crossfader is at the edges ?

Posté Mon 17 Jun 19 @ 4:33 pm
eazydwayne2000 wrote :
However on the software, VDJ only recognises the movements up to 14% and 87%.... Very frustrating as I am still getting audio and video bleed when mixing... Any ideas on a solution?
Also when crossfader is untouched, VDJ is showing it as tiny movements of up to 5% in either direction.

Can you describe the tiny movements ? You mean that the crossfader won't stay put to let's say 50% but jumps between 45% and 55% ?

RZX offers both HID and MIDI messages for the crossfader.
HID is much more sensitive than MIDI, but still it should not let the crossfader jump around.
Also from your mappers photo I see that both HID and MIDI protocols report more or less the same value (0.77 & 0.78)
This means that communication with the controller is OK and that there's nothing wrong with the data received by VirtualDJ. (In other words it's the data sent by RZX who have issue)

Steps to find out the cause:
1. Change the cutlag setting as already described. Keep in mind though that what actually this setting does is to "rescale" the crossfader values.
The minimum setting (0.5 mm) is actually the opposite of what you want to fix. It literally means that RZX will send 0 (or 100%) 0.5mm before the physical end of the crossfader (and that's for the internal location) So you should actually increase that setting to 1, or even 1.5 (I don't remember possible values by heart) and try again. If the values you're getting are closer to the ones you should (e.g. you get 5 and 95% with crossfader all the way to the edges) increase it a little more.
However keep in mind that this setting WON'T fix the +/-5% jumps you describe above. Since it rescales the crossover it may make them smaller (e.g. +/-3%) but they will still be present. In that case most likely your crossfader is faulty even if this is a brand new controller and you should have it replaced ASAP (possibly under a DOA warranty)

2. Besides trying to adjust the Cutlag setting, open Rekordbox, update it to latest version and enable on screen mixer. Observe how crossfader behaves with Rekordbox.
If it has the same gaps or if the crossfader on screnn is jumping here & there the same way it does with VirtualDJ then it's 100% a hardware problem of the crossfader itself (and the crossfader needs replacement)

Posté Mon 17 Jun 19 @ 11:02 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
eazydwayne2000 wrote :

Not wanting to muddy the waters here with djdad & phantom's advice, but that's a symptom of a floating earth/ground [HW fault]

Posté Mon 17 Jun 19 @ 11:33 pm
Thanks all

I will check, test and revert back!

Posté Tue 18 Jun 19 @ 3:32 am
Morning all,

Quick test this morning with Cut-lag variations:

Had to go all the way up to 5.7mm. This gave results of 10% and 100%.
Restarted VDJ and got results of 0% and 87% - so bloody annoying!

With results of 10% - 100%, weirdly, if I raise sampler volume to 100% I get results of 0% to 90% on Crossfader, lower sampler volume to 0% and the readings on crossfader return to 10% - 100%
Vice-versa
With CF results of 0% and 87%, sampler volume at 100% gives results of 9% and 100% on CF! Lower sampler volume to 0% and CF readings revert to 0% and 87%!!!!
Both examples are tested with Cut-lag at 5.7mm (Maximum) tho!

Crossfader in stationary position (eg 50%) gives readings fluctuating from 47% - 51% making very small changes to the values in VDJ literally every 10-20 milliseconds.

I will do a fresh install on a windows based machine tonight and revert back with results!

Beginning to think this MUST be a HARDWARE issue with earthing or shorts somewhere deep inside the controller as there is no direct link to sampler volume and CF found anywhere in the factory mapper!

Banging my head against the wall!

Will test on windows machine later and also review CF behavior in recordbox and let you guys know the results! Thank you for all advice up to now!

Posté Tue 18 Jun 19 @ 4:52 am
OK, So further testing on Recorbox produces EXACT same results!

Crossfader on controller 100% (i.e fully in right position)
Sampler at 0%
Recordbox

VDJ

Crossfader on controller 100% (i.e fully in right position)
Sampler at 100%
Recordbox

VDJ

Crossfader on controller 0% (i.e fully in LEFT position)
Sampler at 0%
Recordbox

VDJ

Crossfader on controller 0% (i.e fully in LEFT position)
Sampler at 100%
Recordbox

VDJ

With both softwares behaving in the EXACT same manor, am I right to assume this is a HARDWARE issue (potentially an earth or short somewhere) and I should return to dealer for servicing under warranty?

Thanks in advance guys!

Posté Tue 18 Jun 19 @ 1:49 pm
OK, Final update on this!

It IS a HARDWARE issue. Took both controller and my MacBook to the store and demo'd to service technician. Common fault apparently.

Tested my MacBook on their demo DDJ-RZX with NO issues! Been told of a 3-day turnaround time on repair or they'll loan me their demo unit for my gig on Friday!

Fingers crossed, No further issues.

For anyone else experiencing similar issues with Pioneer Units I simply recommend returning to dealer for repair.

Thank you everyone for your time, input and advice.

Selected as best answer Posté Tue 18 Jun 19 @ 3:20 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Glad you found the fault, but you let them off lightly with a repair and unit loan.
They sold you a unit that was "unfit for purpose" [remember that phrase] your stat rights [E.U.] says money back or new unit, your choice.

Posté Tue 18 Jun 19 @ 9:01 pm
@locodog,

Yeah E.U Stat rights don't exist in Dubai! Lol that's where I am based now and purchased the unit. Happy with a repair under manufacturers warranty.

Posté Thu 20 Jun 19 @ 8:04 am
Pioneer SX2, Virtual DJ Pro V8.3 b4592. Crossfader is buggy on Pioneer. Won't show going from middle to right side. This is NOT a hardware issue.

Any advice?

Posté Wed 24 Jul 19 @ 10:56 pm
95%