Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Roland DJ-707m Hype? - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

Did my first (Christening) gig with the 707m last night and was very disappointed with it. I did not try anything fancy with it and just kept to the basics.

It started out being very bass-heavy on music output and the microphone, that was OK nothing major. A bit tweaking on the mic controls by cutting the bass and increase the treble.

After around 2 hours the bass seemed to be disappearing slowly, the microphone too. Had to cut the treble and increase the bass on the mic, but, still not good enough. The mic sounded like the guy on The Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star.

By 3 hours into the gig I was seriously considering getting my Denon MC6000MkII out of the car. But, there were not many people left and with only an hour to go, I persevered.

With only half an hour to go the bass returned and started to sound normal again. Weird!

I’ve got a wedding tonight, so, which controller should I use?
Roland DJ-707m, nope, needs more testing (25 days left to return it FOC)
Denon MC7000 maybe (also needs more testing)
or the old stalwart Denon MC6000MkII?

System Specs;
MacBook Pro 15” 2017, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Memory, Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB, Intel HD Graphics 630 n1536 MB, macOS Mojave 10.14.6, 500gb SSD, external WD Passport Ultra 2Tb HD containing Music, Video & Karaoke databases and is formatted NTFS, I use the Paragon plugin with NTFS for Mac.
VirtualDJ 2018 b5281 and Controllers - Denon MC6000 MkII, Denon MC7000, Roland DJ-707m.

Posté Sat 21 Sep 19 @ 10:05 am
You should use whatever feels comfortable to you (to use)
Then once you're done testing and feel confident/comfortable to use another controller use the other...

Posté Sat 21 Sep 19 @ 10:30 am
hrdnxPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Getting second thoughts about the Denon 707 now
Glad to be getting actual feedback, will be following this post
thanx

Posté Sat 21 Sep 19 @ 2:52 pm
Yep, I was so disappointed as I thought this would be a great followup to the Denon MC6000MkII.

I've just switched the wires over to the MC6000MkII for tonight's wedding.

Will do some more testing with the 707m next week.

Posté Sat 21 Sep 19 @ 3:26 pm
TBH: I can't imagine why a controller/mixer would degrade bass amount over time. Maybe power supply issues ? But still this is not something than can usually occur on a device of that type.
So it would be the last thing to blame over a chain of possible reasons.

Posté Sat 21 Sep 19 @ 3:38 pm
Remember this thing has a DSP onboard, with multi band compression, limiter etc so if any of that stuff was on, it would affect how it sounds in comparison to the Denons (which don't have any of that stuff).

That certainly could have given the bass more prominence, and possibly varied how it sounds from track to track (depending on track decade and original mastered sound).

Posté Sat 21 Sep 19 @ 3:52 pm
Yep, I was aware of the DSP, Compression, etc. But, this was 'straight out of the box'. I haven't got into tinkering 'under the hood', yet! The only thing I did was update the firmware from v1.01 to v1.02. It was a bit weird to hear the bass progressively disappear over time without doing anything to cause it. Then later the bass returned to normal.

Gonna be doing more testing & need to check the settings.

Posté Sun 22 Sep 19 @ 9:31 am
glenskiPRO InfinityMember since 2011
djles.co.uk wrote :
Yep, I was aware of the DSP, Compression, etc. But, this was 'straight out of the box'. I haven't got into tinkering 'under the hood', yet! The only thing I did was update the firmware from v1.01 to v1.02. It was a bit weird to hear the bass progressively disappear over time without doing anything to cause it. Then later the bass returned to normal.

Gonna be doing more testing & need to check the settings.

I have one of the very first Roland DJ-707M DJ Controllers...

Things to do once out of the box:

Update the Firmware [Available from the Roland website] Once done, then perform a 'factory reset' on the unit to refresh it, then you are good to go with the various saved settings or better still as the unit is designed, to setup your own feature set within it's many customizable settings.

Make sure the 'Anti Feedback' feature is turned 'OFF' unless you are doing any varied / long speeches.

Also check your DSP settings, Equaliser settings, Noise Gates [mics], Compressor / Limiter settings - have a play around, don't just rely on the 'out-of-box' use... The controller is designed to be tweaked and personalized for use in various settings etc.

It way out performs many other DJ controllers, especially the Denon MC6000MK2 [I know as I came from a Denon MC6000MK2].

There is so much control to be had with the mic channels, so I would suggest downloading the 'FULL' manual for the DJ-707M and having a day at home / studio to play around with it all...

I think you will be blown away with the unit once you get under the hood and see the real capabilities of this unit.

Good luck!

Posté Mon 23 Sep 19 @ 1:54 am
I've spent most of this week with the 707m testing and trying various settings. But, there is nothing like using it in a 'live' gig situation.

I had a gig supporting a rock band last night which meant an ideal time to 'live' test the 707m again. Once again it was rubbish and acted the same as my original post. Even the sound engineer and band members made comments on it's performance after hearing the quality disappearing over time. During the last hour the mic was so bad I had to switch it to my final output mixer bypassing the 707m completely, what a difference in both sound quality and huge volume increase without feedback.

"Blown away with this unit" yes, absolutely blown away at how bad this unit is. I've been DJing for over 43 years and never used a Controller/mixer this bad. Maybe I've got a faulty 707m, no matter, I've had enough and will return the unit as 'not fit for purpose'.

Tonight I will be back to my Denon.

System Specs;
MacBook Pro 15” 2017, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Memory, Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB, Intel HD Graphics 630 n1536 MB, macOS Mojave 10.14.6, 500gb SSD, external WD Passport Ultra 2Tb HD containing Music, Video & Karaoke databases and is formatted NTFS, I use the Paragon plugin with NTFS for Mac.
VirtualDJ 2020 b5308 and Controllers - Denon MC6000 MkII, Denon MC7000, Roland DJ-707m.

Posté Sat 28 Sep 19 @ 9:49 am
Not good Les. I would have thought it would have been perfect out of the box.

Could be a faulty one as Roland have a good reputation.

Posté Sat 28 Sep 19 @ 9:51 am
Yes, I so disappointed Keith. I was kicking myself after buying the MC7000 2 or 3 days before the 707m was announced, but, went for it anyway. I'm thankful that I've held on to the MC7000 and didn't hastily sell it. I have a feeling that it must be a faulty unit, but, I've spent so much time this week messing with it I've decided enough is enough and going to return it for a refund.

My next 7 gigs are all weddings and there is no way I would use this unit at a wedding.

Posté Sat 28 Sep 19 @ 10:05 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
That's the thing when something says it's "the swiss army knife of..." what are a swiss army knives best at? ... not much

Posté Sat 28 Sep 19 @ 10:31 am
djles.co.uk wrote :
Yes, I so disappointed Keith. I was kicking myself after buying the MC7000 2 or 3 days before the 707m was announced, but, went for it anyway. I'm thankful that I've held on to the MC7000 and didn't hastily sell it. I have a feeling that it must be a faulty unit, but, I've spent so much time this week messing with it I've decided enough is enough and going to return it for a refund.

My next 7 gigs are all weddings and there is no way I would use this unit at a wedding.

Are you in the Roland DJ Group on Facebook?

If not, I suggest you look them up and join and feedback your problems...

Only I don't have any issues with my DJ-707M like you describe, as I know of many others who don't have these issues...

The Anti Feedback feature can play havoc with your mics / sound if activated for the wrong purposes.
Also make sure Noise Gates are set properly [or not at all] and any settings on the Limiter / Compressor are 'zero' to start with.

I've been using my DJ-707M for weeks now - flawlessly

Posté Sun 29 Sep 19 @ 3:16 pm
My DJ-707m has been factory reset several times during the last week of testing. I've checked all the settings in detail with the downloaded manual from the Roland website and they are correct.

I did a wedding on Saturday night with my MC6000Mk2 which 'blew away' the DJ-707m. The difference was huge!!! I suspect the 707m is a faulty unit, but, I've spent way too much time on it now, it's going back for a refund.

Posté Sun 29 Sep 19 @ 10:47 pm
djles.co.uk wrote :
My DJ-707m has been factory reset several times during the last week of testing. I've checked all the settings in detail with the downloaded manual from the Roland website and they are correct.

I did a wedding on Saturday night with my MC6000Mk2 which 'blew away' the DJ-707m. The difference was huge!!! I suspect the 707m is a faulty unit, but, I've spent way too much time on it now, it's going back for a refund.

Are you going along to BPM in the UK this weekend? If so, maybe take your DJ-707M along and visit the guys on the Roland stand and see what they can do to help or advise?

Posté Thu 03 Oct 19 @ 12:07 am
Too late, it's in the 'returns process' now. Used up 16 of my 30 days money-back guarantee, no time to waste.

Doubt if I'll attend the BPM show, I'm DJing weddings Friday and Saturday night til 1am. It's 210 miles and 3 1/2 hours of driving each way from the North East.

Posté Thu 03 Oct 19 @ 7:54 am
Sorry to hear about this issue (Matt from Roland). Any chance we could get a video? Happy to try and help... alternatively somebody mentioned the “Roland DJ” FB page is a good source for support and fellow users.

Posté Fri 11 Oct 19 @ 11:29 pm
Sorry, it's already been returned Matt, lost all confidence in the 707m. It should have worked perfectly 'out of the box'. The issue only appeared after 2-3 hours of use.

Posté Sat 12 Oct 19 @ 10:21 am
Really sorry to hear this Les... Would have happily helped if we'd gotten word earlier, I haven't experienced or heard of anything like this (and been using in the field since before launch). I emailed our team yesterday for any insight. In the future feel free to touch base with Roland support in the UK--> https://www.roland.com/uk/support/. All the best...

Posté Sat 12 Oct 19 @ 1:04 pm
Les, did you tell the retailer that you thought it was a faulty unit when/before you sent it back?

Wouldn't be good if they resold it to someone...

Posté Sat 12 Oct 19 @ 1:26 pm
77%