Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Installing 2020 messes up my settings.xml file. Why?

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

I installed 2020 then reverted back to 5281 as it's still beta obviously.

Started my gig tonight and some of my songs sound off which is pretty embarrasing as it's a busy one.

Turns out installing the new version set autoBPMMatch to smart and autoKey to yes and god knows what else. I have a backup but can't load it in the middle of a gig.

Why the hell would it do that considering I have never ever had those settings enabled?

Posté Sat 12 Oct 19 @ 7:08 pm
as someone else told me
the new skins have commands that change setting.

as you can see in the starter skin here i've commented them out

All the new skins have commands like this so if you want to use them and don't like the settings i would edit them like i have.

Posté Sat 12 Oct 19 @ 7:43 pm
I can understand forcing settings on new installs but not when customized settings are already there.

I'm using Blocks skin not the new ones.

Posté Sat 12 Oct 19 @ 8:10 pm
....but you did run VDJ 2020, and probably had a look through the different 2020 skins, so those things would have been set at that point.

Posté Sat 12 Oct 19 @ 8:55 pm
Well it forces the 2020 skin automatically when you start it up so I guess that's what's done it.

I'll recover my settings.xml from my backup later but it hardly encourages me to move over to 2020 if it's going to screw things up when I run it again.

I know about the skin oninit but why were the other settings changed as well?

Posté Sat 12 Oct 19 @ 9:00 pm
Any chance the team can advise exactly which settings are changed when 2020 is installed please?

Posté Mon 14 Oct 19 @ 10:46 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
By VirtualDJ update:
coverFlow
skin

By new skin:
browser_padding
autoBPMMatch
autoKey
smartPlay
autoPitchLock

browser_padding will be fixed in next update that once you manually change it it will no longer be changed back when switching skin variations
the 4 auto features already remember when you change them so that they will not change back

Posté Mon 14 Oct 19 @ 4:33 pm
What is the reasoning behind changing these settings?

autoBPMMatch
autoKey
smartPlay
autoPitchLock

Especially if a long term user has never enabled any of them. I have never known an update to force changes like that before. And why change a custom skin to default? If the user skin is default possibly change that to the new one but it should just leave a custom skin and padding setting alone.

It made the first 30 minutes of my important gig on Saturday sound crap until I figured out what was going on.

Posté Mon 14 Oct 19 @ 5:12 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Well the major change in VirtualDJ 2020 was the new interface, so it makes sense to have everyone try it I think.
It's also pretty quick to change back after that.

The 4 auto-settings reflect the 4 auto settings now available directly from the deck_options menu, and in the new skin they follow the specific skin variant you choose. When upgrading this can indeed cause the settings to not be the way you prefer them on startup.

Posté Mon 14 Oct 19 @ 5:22 pm
No problem, thanks for the reply.

I will remember that for when I eventually update so they can be changed back again.

Posté Mon 14 Oct 19 @ 5:24 pm
ewitlesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
so not cool to have unintended settings change just to find out later on - esp when not exactly explained.

but as a rule, w every major update, i back up the settings and let a new one get created. tends to fix many minor issues.

the smart play bpm 10% was esp annoying to me this weekend till i found out to kill it. smh...

Posté Mon 14 Oct 19 @ 6:59 pm
Stephane Clavel wrote :
VirtualDJ 2020 just got released today.
It is completely safe to upgrade from VirtualDJ 2018 to VirtualDJ 2020.
All your settings and database will stay the same.
Enjoy !

Posté Mon 14 Oct 19 @ 7:27 pm
Well that's my point Don. Hit the nail on the head there.

As time goes on there will be plenty more people caught out with this too.

I've used VDJ pretty much every weekend since 2008 and struggled to get it to work properly on Saturday because I wasn't aware what the changes were. That's the important thing here.

And even rolling back to the previous build kept the modified settings. Not good.

Posté Mon 14 Oct 19 @ 7:29 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)