Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Prime 4 - Broadcast and Recording levels near -30db

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi. I use a Prime 4 with the interim mapping for VDJ 2020.

I`ve recorded a full set and a bunch of tests so far. Unfortunately, the sound level is so low, I have to use Platinum Notes or Audacity to bring the recordings to acceptable levels after.

For the first time tonight, I tried broadcasting as a test with a radio group I know. Same problem. Sound level was very low and no matter what I did on my Prime.... sound level stayed the same low -20 to -30db.

Any help would be appreciated if any (while we wait for the official support)

Posté Fri 03 Apr 20 @ 2:10 am
DJ Marty Cruze wrote :
Hi. I use a Prime 4 with the interim mapping for VDJ 2020.

I`ve recorded a full set and a bunch of tests so far. Unfortunately, the sound level is so low, I have to use Platinum Notes or Audacity to bring the recordings to acceptable levels after.

For the first time tonight, I tried broadcasting as a test with a radio group I know. Same problem. Sound level was very low and no matter what I did on my Prime.... sound level stayed the same low -20 to -30db.

Any help would be appreciated if any (while we wait for the official support)

Ok... so further down I see mentions of this "record" line in the controller setup. I removed it and it fixed the recording. I'll have to try broadcast again...

I don't quite grasp the concept of that config line.....

Posté Fri 03 Apr 20 @ 2:26 am
This is yet another issue with the Prime 4 that Denon have known about for months and done nothing about. Plenty of chat about this on their forum (if you can get in as it keeps going offline)

Posté Fri 03 Apr 20 @ 7:33 am
The recording loopback is there in order to be able to record whatever your controller plays at it's master output (including analog sources, mic's .e.t.c.)
Removing that line from audio setup makes VirtualDJ to record/broadcast it's own sound engine only. This means that you can't include analog sources on your record/broadcast, nor your MIC as usually it's not part of the USB input bus.

I'm not familiar with Prime 4, but for other controllers (mainly Pioneer) it is possible to adjust the level of recording by using the drivers panel/utility.
Usually the companies keep the recording level low in order to provide enough headroom for post processing (mastering) and to avoid digital clipping/distortion on the recorder file (which once introduced, it cannot be removed)

Posté Fri 03 Apr 20 @ 10:23 am
kradcliffe wrote :
This is yet another issue with the Prime 4 that Denon have known about for months and done nothing about. Plenty of chat about this on their forum (if you can get in as it keeps going offline)

Ok sure. but this is a work in progress from Denon's part and I'm willing to wait for improvements.
I've had the unit since Nov '19 and honestly in a live context, I love it. I've already used it with VDJ before the pandemic in a live environment and it was a blast to use it.

As far as them (Denon) taking a long time for fixing issues... well every company has their own caveats, but they do respond to intelligent requests.

Posté Fri 03 Apr 20 @ 1:01 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
The recording loopback is there in order to be able to record whatever your controller plays at it's master output (including analog sources, mic's .e.t.c.)
Removing that line from audio setup makes VirtualDJ to record/broadcast it's own sound engine only. This means that you can't include analog sources on your record/broadcast, nor your MIC as usually it's not part of the USB input bus.

I'm not familiar with Prime 4, but for other controllers (mainly Pioneer) it is possible to adjust the level of recording by using the drivers panel/utility.
Usually the companies keep the recording level low in order to provide enough headroom for post processing (mastering) and to avoid digital clipping/distortion on the recorder file (which once introduced, it cannot be removed)

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

One note: I've converted from Traktor and one feature I did like a lot from them was the ability to control the record/broadcast level (with VU meter to side with it) directly in the software. Maybe this could be a future feature ?

Posté Fri 03 Apr 20 @ 1:03 pm
The recording level in VirtualDJ is either what master output is (with volume to 100%) or what the recording input sends back to software.

When master output is used there are a few thing you need to know:
1) The built-in limiter protects from distortion, and that also goes on your recorded mix
2) You can use the 'zerodb' setting to lower the volume of each deck and thus allow your mix to have some headroom
3) There is a recording VU-meter on "Master" panel of PRO layout

When an external source is used, VirtualDJ captures the sound "as-is". No gain, or reduction is used.
It's up to the external source to send the right signal level.
In this case while I do recognize that a "gain" setting could be useful, I don't think it's actually a good idea. Your signal can become too hot because you didn't set up the gain properly and end up with a distorted file.
Also as I said, most devices that offer a record loopback through their USB bus, they either send the maximum level already (so that peaks are close to 0dbfs) or they can be adjusted by the user.
A reduction setting won't help either if the signal is too hot when it reaches VirtualDJ as distortion is already present, and as you know, once distortion is present, it cannot be removed.

Posté Fri 03 Apr 20 @ 2:43 pm
Excellent! Thanks PhantomDeejay, very helpful!

Posté Fri 03 Apr 20 @ 2:49 pm
Small update on this:

My system is running Win10 1909

The prime drivers for some reason gave me a way out on all sound output for broadcast with OBS Studio.

So, in essence:

I removed the Record line in my config in VDJ
    Added the microphone input in VDJ
    Through OBS Studio I added an Aux/Mic Line in (DENON Channel 5/6 from the windows sound card options)
    Added a gain filter on OBS

I did a 2 hour Twitch.tv set last Saturday and everything is running like a top!

Posté Mon 06 Apr 20 @ 12:55 pm
3) There is a recording VU-meter on "Master" panel of PRO layout.

Hello, sorry a kind of relevant question.. i think.
Can you confirm if there is a VU meter available on the skin if I am recording from an external source? eg mimicking the one on the setting / record tab? I use an external mixer and it would be good to see the meter whilst mixing.
Also..
The VU meter on the recording tab has no data... how to I determine if this is too loud or quiet. where is the best spot to set my input to?
Thank you

Posté Tue 22 Sep 20 @ 9:05 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
At the highest levels it should just reach the top

Posté Tue 22 Sep 20 @ 9:36 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)