Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet UI freezing for 30 sec with Apogee external audio interface

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hi!

After having spent countless hours of tracking down this problem and speaking many times also with the Apogee support, I am clueless what to do. So I hope there is help from this side. Maybe the tech pros or support staff have an idea.

Description:

I am using VDJ with Apogee ONE, a high quality external USB audio interface. The ONE has a big knob that controls the output volume or Mic input gain of the device. When I turn this knob, the UI of VDJ freezes for about 30 seconds. While that happens music is still playing without glitches, also the attached controllers can still control VDJ (volume level, crossfader, start/stop etc), just the UI is frozen and there is the "turning pizza" instead of the mouse pointer. After 30 seconds everything is back to normal.

What I found out:

- This issue only occurs with VDJ, NOT with Traktor, DJay Pro, iTunes or any other program I tried.
- This issue is independent from the Audio Interface selected in VDJ, it also happens if the "build-in output" is set as master output/headphone output

What I tried:

- Freshly installed Catalina or Mojave on two different Macbooks (2017 and 2019), so make sure it is not related to the hardware or OS
- Changing USB cables
- I returned the Apogee ONE device twice to make sure it is not an hardware issue of the audio interface
- Latest drivers of the Apogee ONE, including the latest "Apogee Maestro" control software.
- I tried different VDJ versions (including the lastest)
- I tried different skins on VDJ
- I tried different audio interfaces and this only happens with Apogee's ONE

Apogee's support was great, but even after many hours of researching they could not find the cause. It seems the device and driver is working as expected.

So it seems it is an issue between the Apogee ONE and VDJ only. No other apps (Traktor, Djay Pro, ITunes) are affected.

And it seems to be rather an UI problem than an audio system problem, as the music playback is not affected and controllers can still communicate with VDJ, just the UI is frozen.

Why this bothers me:

The ONE has a fantastic audio quality and Apogee's audio interfaces are known to be one of the best in the industry. It is small, great to travel with. And I need to use the knob on the device as I have to adjust the mic input gain from time to time. Then each time VDJ UI freezes for 30 sec...

So I hope that there is someone out there that has a clue what is going on and can help me to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Posté Thu 24 Sep 20 @ 9:03 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Is it also showing up in controllers as a midi device? Does it pop up some window on screen while turning the knob to indicate the volume?

Posté Thu 24 Sep 20 @ 9:12 am
Thanks for your reply. I does not send MIDI signals. I checked with "Midi Monitor".

The interface works together with "Apogee Maestro" which is the controlling interface for the ONE. So turning the know turns the corresponding knob in the Maestro software.

Btw. this happens even with closed "Maestro" app.

I am happy to assist you with screenshots, logs etc. whatever you need to find the cause...

Posté Thu 24 Sep 20 @ 9:20 am
No idea, anybody?

Posté Sat 26 Sep 20 @ 6:13 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Will see if I can find anything, but not really sure why they would be related.
One thing you could try is enable experimentalUseMetal option in VirtualDJ to see if that makes a difference.

Posté Sun 27 Sep 20 @ 10:49 am
Thanks for the suggestion. Indeed it changed something.

With "experimentalusemetal" switched on it seems at first that the UI is not frozen as the track playhead and remaining time values are continuing.

However, VDJ is still unresponsive as the mouse pointer is still the "Turning Pizza" and the keyboard and mouse is dead. Again after 30 seconds all is back to normal.

Again note that this issue is only happening with VDJ, not Traktor, or DJay Pro or Itunes...

I have sent you a link to a short video that shows that issue as a private message. Hope that is helpful.

Posté Sun 27 Sep 20 @ 9:32 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)