Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Trailing Echo tempo of previous song changes on deck load
I'm wondering if there is a setting to change this or this is potential bug:

Steps:
1) Put two songs of different tempos (drastically different, like > 10 BPM apart is recommended)
2) Make sure fxProcessing = Post Fader and Sync is off on all decks, and set the Echo effect to have a repeat of 1 beat
3) Load the first song onto a deck, play the song
4) Use the echo effect on the deck to capture the 1 beat for the trailing echo, then immediately kill either the channel's upfader or crossfade to the next deck
4) Quickly load the next song onto the same deck before the trailing echoes fade

I noticed the trailing echo of the previous song stays, but the tempo of the trailing echo changes to match the new song. I think this behaviour is unexpected, especially if the set requires quickly moving through songs, while using the Echo effect to transition, without using sync.

Posté Sat 09 Apr 22 @ 12:50 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You can use the echo out effect instead for this use

Posté Sat 09 Apr 22 @ 3:45 am
So this works, but this not option/is too cumbersome if you use a controller like the Pioneer DDJ 1000, which pre-selects the effect based on the dial, and echo on the dial uses the regular Echo effect.

What is causing the the effect to change tempo? Is it VDJs FX engine itself?

Posté Sat 09 Apr 22 @ 10:59 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
it's how the echo works it needs to know the bpm & beatgrid position moment to moment.

have you thought about using decks 3 & 4 for such cases? the results would be what you wanted, just a case of getting use to the swap.

Posté Sat 09 Apr 22 @ 11:02 pm
locodog wrote :
it's how the echo works it needs to know the bpm & beatgrid position moment to moment.

have you thought about using decks 3 & 4 for such cases? the results would be what you wanted, just a case of getting use to the swap.

I can do that but it's not a natural flow, especially if I'm using a battle mixer and I have the skin only showing two decks.

So I understand that the FX engine would need to know grid information from time to time, but why is it normal to apply the grid information of a newly loaded song to the trailing echo of a song that was unloaded? Given I switched the effect off and loaded a new song, I would expect the effect to latch everything about the old song to finish its execution, not to use the information of the newly loaded song.

Posté Sun 10 Apr 22 @ 2:22 am
Yah I would say there's good arguments to stick with the tempo of the echoed track, but there's also good arguments to sync with the tempo of the next track that you bumped in (and the latter has been the VDJ-choice it seems). In last case the echo stays in sync with what is happening.

Anyways... I came onto this thread as am I trying to find/create a VDJ-replacement for what is called 'beatmasher2' in Traktor. And 'echo out' comes close to it.... but not quite...

Summoning our mad dog VDJ scientist...:
@logodog

This 'echo-out' like 'beatmasher2' in Traktor allows us to end a playing track with a (max 4beat) loop AND load another new track on that same deck (loop still keeps playing)(endlessly, if you put feedback on 100%).
Yet.... the 'cross-over' from loop to next track we cannot control (we can only punch the loop and than the next tracks sound bumps in).

But it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to add a knob to this effect, allowing us to fade-over from loop to next track?

The enormous power of this "little feature" is that we than can mix with 3 tracks, yet not having the abundance of 4 decks, nicely playing along with 2 decks!

And I think much of us do feel that need for being able to also play that 3rd track (at some moments).
Yet dislike the jampacked screen and controller abundance of 3/4 decks/controllers.

Could this be added to that 'echo-out' effect-VST?

So

Posté Sun 22 May 22 @ 2:52 pm
So as said this IS a standard effect/feature in Traktor... that in itself is a solid reason for having this in VDJ too ... ??
;-)

Posté Sun 22 May 22 @ 2:54 pm
As he's really mad...
@locodog

Posté Sun 22 May 22 @ 2:56 pm
sharethevibe! wrote :
Yah I would say there's good arguments to stick with the tempo of the echoed track, but there's also good arguments to sync with the tempo of the next track that you bumped in (and the latter has been the VDJ-choice it seems). In last case the echo stays in sync with what is happening.

Anyways... I came onto this thread as am I trying to find/create a VDJ-replacement for what is called 'beatmasher2' in Traktor. And 'echo out' comes close to it.... but not quite...

Summoning our mad dog VDJ scientist...:
@logodog

This 'echo-out' like 'beatmasher2' in Traktor allows us to end a playing track with a (max 4beat) loop AND load another new track on that same deck (loop still keeps playing)(endlessly, if you put feedback on 100%).
Yet.... the 'cross-over' from loop to next track we cannot control (we can only punch the loop and than the next tracks sound bumps in).

But it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to add a knob to this effect, allowing us to fade-over from loop to next track?

The enormous power of this "little feature" is that we than can mix with 3 tracks, yet not having the abundance of 4 decks, nicely playing along with 2 decks!

And I think much of us do feel that need for being able to also play that 3rd track (at some moments).
Yet dislike the jampacked screen and controller abundance of 3/4 decks/controllers.

Could this be added to that 'echo-out' effect-VST?

So

So I'm not trying to drag this on but I'm trying to understand the argument for the current behavior.

If you switch the echo off before loading the next track, to me the effect shouldn't consider the new track, as it was loaded after switching the effect off. Is there other software that does this behavior? AFAIK Serato and Rekordbox do not have that behavior, they keep the echo info only from when the effect was switched on.

Posté Thu 11 Aug 22 @ 2:38 am