Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet A note from Apple Inc. CEO Steve Jobs regarding iTunes content DRM

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Last week i posted on these forums about the fact that Apple's Fairplay DRM was NOT implemented by Apple because they wanted to "monopolize" anything, that's not Apple's style, that's microsoft's style. Besides the DRM is NOT illegal here in the U.S. and other countries, despite the fact that other countries besides those are trying to calim that it is.

The bottom line is that there is a BIG difference between a company becoming "dominant" because of LEGAL innovation and providing better products and services like Apple, and a company "monopolizing" a market through ILLEGAL business practices (anti-trust) and outright theft of others' work because of their inability to exhibit any significant innovation and have any level of class, like microsoft

"When Apple approached these companies to license their music to distribute legally over the Internet, they were extremely cautious and required Apple to protect their music from being illegally copied. The solution was to create a DRM system, which envelopes each song purchased from the iTunes store in special and secret software so that it cannot be played on unauthorized devices."

"Thoughts on Music"

Steve Jobs
February 6, 2007

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/

Posté Tue 06 Feb 07 @ 10:26 pm
Interesting article.

Posté Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 12:14 am
I'm just trying to shed some light for people who think that Apple doesn't "want" to open it's DRM for it's iTunes Store content.

It's NOT and option for Apple. As it says in that link, if Apple fails to prevent the illegal distribution of the music labels and others content that it sells on it's iTunes Store, Apple risks losing that content availability all together.

That is why I agree with Apple and Steve Jobs that not putting restrictive measures on it's iTunes Store content would be irresponsible (and illegal on Apple's behalf), but that those countries that think that not taking such meaures is necessary after having had illegal file sharing run awry for nearly half a decade since Napster first came onto the scene in 1999 and until Apple was the first to negotiate a reasonable licensing plan that benefited the consumer AND the content creators, as well as Apple itself, are contributing to "State Sponsored Piracy".

Posté Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 1:05 am
It's a basic failing in humanity that in general we will only do the "right" thing only when forced to by laws/device restriction.

The P2P phenomenon from napster to recently kazza and limewire only re-enforces this.

The black market for music and movies has always exsited, but it was poor quality. Not so with these little boxes we use.

Too bad Becasue the A-LA-Carte buy what you want is sooooooo very attractive to myself and many others wanting to build a video library.

Posté Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 2:01 am
DJ Marcel_1 wrote :
The black market for music and movies has always exsited, but it was poor quality. Not so with these little boxes we use.

Even with the huge lead and impact that Apple's iTunes Store has and has made in the sales and distribution of legal online content, I believe it's still in the single digits compared to illegally "shared" content.

Posté Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 2:12 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)