Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet 16:9 video screen with 4:3 video fitting inside it - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

i want to put 16:9 rear projection screens in a night club so that 16:9 videos fill the screen and 4:3 videos fit 'fully' inside the 16:9 screen with 2 black vertical stripes on the left and the right. in other words, the system is to be designed for 16:9 and the 4:3 fits in the middle. My problem is that vdj seems to output naturally in 4:3 and any 16:9 videos fit inside the 4:3 screen with 2 horizontal black stripes top and bottom.....I dont want this, this requires me to use 4:3 physical screens that look old fashioned. Can I configure VDJ to natively do 16:9 so I can buy 16:9 screens ?

Posté Tue 26 Feb 08 @ 4:14 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Dave, do you not have a selector on the projector to change the image from a letterbox effect, should have one on it to give you different screen formats

Tayla

Posté Tue 26 Feb 08 @ 4:17 pm
the projector will display both formats. the 4:3 and the 16:9 are the same width, the 4:3 is higher, ie the 16:9 has two horizontal stripes top and bottom. I can modify the 4:3 image to 16:9 but it compresses / squashes it downward ( opposite of a stretch ). I want the 16:9 image to be the biggest natural image, and for 4:3 to 'fit inside it'. I dont mind 4:3 showing 2 VERTICAL black stripes left and right.

Posté Tue 26 Feb 08 @ 4:32 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
scan converter is the only way.

Posté Tue 26 Feb 08 @ 5:05 pm
DJ Cyder wrote :
scan converter is the only way.

I could swear my 16:9 flat TV plays 16:9 content normal in full 16:9 screen AND plays 4:3 content normal with left and right vertical black stripes - am I dreaming ? is the TV doing its own scan conversion so 4:3 fits fully 'inside' 16:9 TV ?.......off to my garage later to test . apol for double message

Posté Tue 26 Feb 08 @ 5:28 pm
yes your tv does this automatically. There is a converter or sorts built in. See if you can find a used 1024 and you'll be gald you got one.

Posté Tue 26 Feb 08 @ 6:55 pm
DJ Cyder wrote :
yes your tv does this automatically. There is a converter or sorts built in. See if you can find a used 1024 and you'll be gald you got one.

if the TV can do it why cant the Projector do it ?

Posté Tue 26 Feb 08 @ 7:24 pm
cyder, can you confirm that 4:3 videos are physically higher than a 16:9, whereas they are both the same width ? in other words, 16:9 fits "inside" the 4:3 format with black stripes top and bottom. This implies I have to skrink down the 4:3 stuff to fit inside a 16:9 screen - apol for all the qustions but I like to get a clear understanding

Posté Tue 26 Feb 08 @ 7:34 pm
Someone said it earlier, the problem is that VDJ assumes a 4:3 aspect ratio. So no matter what your letterboxed content will be letterboxed and 4:3 content will fill the whole screen.

Posté Tue 26 Feb 08 @ 7:45 pm
Ok its like this

Posté Tue 26 Feb 08 @ 9:42 pm
Cyder, this is NOT what I'm getting out of VDJ. your diagram shows a 16:9 image that could 'contain' a 4:3 image inside it ( rendering 2 vertical black stripes left and right) your images show 'same hight' different 'width' . What I'm getting is the opposite, I get the 4:3 videos as the bigger screen and the 16:9 fits inside the 4:3. i'm getting same width, different height. this is my problem......I want what your diagram shows, can I get this out of VDJ ?

Posté Tue 26 Feb 08 @ 11:38 pm
how do I upload images ?
I'm getting your 4:3 box with the 16:9 image being 12 " wide and 6.7" high

Posté Wed 27 Feb 08 @ 12:18 am
from prosoundweb.com i learn that the 'source' and 'content' are different. They describe the 'source' as the device feeding the projector and the 'content' as the video itself. in this case I guess the source is VDJ and the content is the .vob video file. They tell me if the source is 16:9 then 4:3 content will fit inside the 16:9 , this is what I want, but not what I'm getting. I guess, as other posts suggest, that VDJ source is 4:3 . I have looked at different skins but they dont really seem to fix this. I'm told I need a scan converter, retail $6k so no fun there, to essentially shrink the 4:3 content proportunately down to the same height at the 16:9 content so I can then buy 16:9 projector screen and the 4:3 will fit inside it with left and right black stripes.
If I'm right then it seems vdj is behind the times here with the old 4:3 format ??

Posté Wed 27 Feb 08 @ 12:34 am
Wait! what resolution are you outputting for vdj is it 1024x768?

Resolutions with a 4:3 aspect ratio:

800 x 600
1024 x 768
1152 x 864
1600 x 1200

Resolutions with a 5:4 aspect ratio:

1280 x 1024
1600 x 1280

Posté Wed 27 Feb 08 @ 7:15 am
davefromlondon wrote :
DJ Cyder wrote :

if the TV can do it why cant the Projector do it ?

It can but not both resolutions at the same time neither can a tv. You have to pick a format and stick with it. I believe you might have to play with the output size on the video card to come up with something working. Only thing I can figure is the video out is not in a standard 4:3 format ntsc for the US anyway is a max of 483 lines only 480 can be used to display picture. anyways check you video card for a underscan option this may be the solution for the height problem.

Posté Wed 27 Feb 08 @ 7:17 am
Can you try this test?

Change your video output to 640x480 and see if it fits.

Posté Wed 27 Feb 08 @ 7:28 am
thanks.....I also found this
[Multi-Use Projectors - 'Black Bars' or 'Letterboxing'
Many projectors, whether in a 16:9 or 4:3 native aspect ratio, are able to display multiple aspect ratios. However, while displaying their non-native signals, you will see black bars either on the sides (16:9 displaying 4:3), or at the top and bottom (4:3 displaying 16:9) of your image. ]

.....duuh....the projector i'm using is native 4:3, so I get black bars on the top and bottom for 16:9 video. I assume if I use a 16:9 projector I'll get what I want......black bars on the left and right for 4:3 videos....fitting inside the 16:9 frame. If I'm right I now just need a 16:9 native projector with a v short throw ( need 84" image from 3 feet away, like my NEC WT projector)

but I will try the video card options..duuh again

Posté Wed 27 Feb 08 @ 12:33 pm
turns out ultra wide throw projectors are only available in 4:3 so I'm back to 'squashing' my 4:3 content. Can the sony really do this ?

Posté Wed 27 Feb 08 @ 5:31 pm
There is a good reason why the 1024 costs and much as it does. There are other options costing even more ie presentation pro. Anyway I would look into underscan on the video card before you drop that kind of cash. Remember ntsc legal signal can only contain 480 lines for picture 483 lines max. If its not it will be "squashed" anyway. My Sanyo can do 16:9 buts its a really high end unit. Anyways you have me curious about this now. When I set up for my show on the 1st I'm going to try and see if I have the same problem.

Posté Wed 27 Feb 08 @ 6:11 pm
which sanyo do you have ?
can you explain more on under scan
your barron guy has the sony scan converter for $1200 used the club will buy it for me. Since it seems im stuck with 4:3 projectors for a 3' throw then im happy to buy the sony scan converter. Can you confirm it will do what I need....permanently shrink 4:3 video content so I can play it with 16:9 content in same play list and the ':3' height will be exactly same physical height on the screen as the ":9" height
how do I load jpegs to the message board ?

Posté Wed 27 Feb 08 @ 6:21 pm
56%