Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet First wedding event DJ'ing alone. One of the worst experiences, so far. - Deeply feeling some sincere empathy for that poor bride.. and Groom. He'll never hear the end of this, i'm sure. - Page: 2
groovindj wrote :
Sepatro wrote :
that all depens on local copyright laws

No. if Deezer's terms and conditions state that their service is for personal use only, then their service is for personal use only - period.

+1

Same goes goes for Tidal btw..

Posté Fri 09 Sep 22 @ 9:43 am
This thread is not surprising at all. It's the Wild West out there.

Some of these guys might find their names on some of the big wedding prep forums, next to a giant AVOID.

Posté Wed 14 Sep 22 @ 9:50 am
user25715700 wrote :
Been using VDJ for months and I have not had this issue. Though, tonight of all nights, it just happened. That when searching for songs that I was either getting from one off requests or from the 3hr playlist the Bride provided me. (should have been an easy first event with the playlist) Though, her playlist was from spotify. Being that i'm using VDJ 2021, no more direct spotify integration.

First, i purchased a 3rd party app to convert the songs and import local but that was taking too long. So i start searching for each song, individually, through VDJ. I was going to say 50/50 but in full honesty. It was more like 85% not the correct artist and was a Karaoke or Remixed version of the original artst. Though they were not labeled as such. They just had a plane jane artist-song name format. Meaning i couldnt tell the difference when i selected them what I was getting into. I now know the subtle differences but still doesnt change the fact that for whatever reason. These were the ONLY results i would get when searching. Couldnt find any options that would have caused this. I rebooted when i got home, setup everything the same way I always do and it's still doing it even now.

Anyone know why this is happening?!

Where is your hard drive? A wedding DJ NEVER goes to the most important day in a bride's life without a backup. 1 computer, 1 external hard drive,, a 2nd computer and a 2nd source (ipad/phone). I hope you get a 2nd gig.

Posté Thu 15 Sep 22 @ 1:25 pm
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
groovindj wrote :
Sepatro wrote :

No. if Deezer's terms and conditions state that their service is for personal use only, then their service is for personal use only - period.

Very sweet of you to remind some of us!

Posté Mon 19 Sep 22 @ 9:17 am
You think doing something you shouldn't be doing is funny?

Those terms and conditions are not just put there for a laugh.

Posté Mon 19 Sep 22 @ 11:07 am
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
groovindj wrote :
You think doing something you shouldn't be doing is funny?

Those terms and conditions are not just put there for a laugh.

Indeed! "The wood may be soft, but the kettle may still break" - Frank Zappa

Posté Thu 22 Sep 22 @ 9:53 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Sepatro wrote :
groovindj wrote :
Sepatro wrote :

Very sweet of you to remind some of us!

Please keep in mind, one of the few rules we have on these forums is, "Be nice and treat each other with respect." It's cool to disagree but, do so with tact and courtesy.

Posté Thu 22 Sep 22 @ 1:37 pm
Sepatro wrote :
groovindj wrote :
Whether it "works great" or not, you should not be using it to provide music at gigs.

That's not the topic here, right? Besides, that all depens on local copyright laws (I usually do gigs at international waters exclusively with my own songs).

For the record, Deezer's license is region-locked as well. You can not download songs in one territory and then play them in another as their agreement with record labels varies from country to country. Nor are those songs allowed for public performance. This is based on the Deezer license agreement, not the country's laws.

In the US, if you use personal Spotify, Deezer, etc to play music at a venue, that venue is at risk for an ASCAP/BMI fine that can stretch into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. And of course they'd sue the DJ compensatorily to recoup the fine amount plus probably for court fees and punitive damages as well. Other countries have similar enforcement mechanisms.

Posté Mon 26 Sep 22 @ 7:12 am
Sepatro wrote :
I personally rely on streaming ONLY, in my experience way more stable nowadays than USB-based storage devices. I have a Samsung T7 touch, but every now and then, there is a hickup in the drivers which VDJ does not seem to handle well - leading to a "database corrupted" message and a restart of VDJ. I never had such trouble with streaming, so whenever I play a serious gig, I deliberately use streaming services only. That said, it is not always easy to find the right song version, but Deezer does a pretty decent job, and I also cue the song first to my headphones to ensure it is not a karaoke-version or cheesy Mantovani cover.

And whilst we are on the subject. What kind of DJ only relies on streaming services? That's not professional in my eyes. You should have all your music on your hard drive and play at least 99% of it from your local library and only use streaming services as an emergency. What are you going to do if you end up in area where you have no wi-fi or internet access, or your internet drops out right when you need it? you would be screwed big time

I personally keep to the old school methods and play everything from my local library and if someone comes up to me and requests a song that I don't have, I'll tell them I don't have that song and i'll make a note of it and buy it when I get home, so I know I have it for next time

Posté Thu 29 Sep 22 @ 8:44 pm
gabycorreaPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2010
Totally agree, that's how it should work

Posté Fri 30 Sep 22 @ 3:25 am
Did NOT expect so many responses with the recommendations on how I should have done this or that and I should have, or I shouldn't have done such and such

For clarity and context. I wasn't doing this on my own consultative private wedding DJ kind of gig. This was for a company and so I was following their guidance and the training they provided me prior to this gig. Granted, I will say, i don't really feel their training and/or approach to booking and performing at these weddings is what it should be. However, this is southwest KS we're talking about. Where it is literally top 40 and then some polka/chicken dance type of wedding stuff. . Which is why I didn't last that long, but in any case. I do still appreciate the responses. Just maybe think empathetically a little more and try to either answer the question with troubleshooting/resolutions or don't respond. Again, appreciate the effort peeps.

Once more so everyone who responded knows i'm not trying be a di** by what i'm saying here. I do appreciate all the suggestions on how one should operate as a wedding DJ.

It just had nothing to do with the actual question.

Take care everyone

Posté Tue 14 Feb 23 @ 6:44 pm