Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet Import a text playlist and convert it to a Virtual DJ playlist?
I'd love to see an automated way of:
1. Importing a text playlist into virtual DJ
2. Having Virtual DJ scan each line of text and match that artist and title to a file in the database.
3. Create a VDJ playlist based on the results of the scan and match.
4. Present it for pre-approval in the case that any false matches need to be manually corrected.

Is this already possible using 3rd party soiftware or VDJ itself? I have 235 episodes of a podcast that need to be converted from text to VDJ playlist. I'm doing it manually and everytime I do one episode I think "there's got to be a better way..."

Posté Sat 10 Sep 22 @ 3:51 am

Posté Sat 10 Sep 22 @ 8:17 am
Incredible!!!!!! I'm on macOS but I do have Wine CrossOver installed so hopefully I can get it working with that. Thanks so much for the quick follow up and solution!!

Posté Tue 13 Sep 22 @ 10:54 pm
groovindj wrote :
I'm pretty sure there's an app available which one forum member created after I requested the very same thing in the past (ten years ago it seems).

Ah here it is. Summonizer by PachN.
https://www.virtualdj.com/plugins/index.html?addonid=80364

Darn it. It looks like I won't be able to use this after all. If it was a standalone app it might be possible with Wine but it looks like I can only access it as an extension from Virtual DJ run from a windows machine :-S

Posté Tue 13 Sep 22 @ 11:00 pm
I would probably just create a simple m3u (std playlist format) file manually, and have VDJ check and then use it

The format is so simple and "forgiving" (it doesn't have to be perfect to work) that it's easy to do, and if something is missing, you can use VDJ "locate missing file" function to fix any mistakes

Basically this content (just a list of files) in a text editor:

C:\privat\Grab\Nirvana\In Utero\Nirvana - 03 - Heart-Shaped Box.mp3
C:\privat\Grab\Nirvana\Nevermind\Nirvana - 01 - Smells like teen spirit.mp3
C:\privat\Grab\Nirvana\Nevermind\Nirvana - 03 - Come As You Are.mp3
C:\privat\Grab\Nirvana\Nevermind\Nirvana - 05 - Lithium.mp3

... saved with .m3u extension will work - so for instance saved as:

Nirvana.m3u

... gives you a playlist called "Nirvana" in VDJ (where ever you save it), and when you click it, you get the 4 tracks listed in the file list window, ready to load and play

If you then want to be more thorough you can add a middle step

VDJ won't change the m3u file, so it won't correct that the format is "simplified"
But other players that support the .m3u format will, so as a middle step you can open it in for instance WinAmp, and simply save it again, overwriting the existing file

Then it'll look like this:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:281,Nirvana - Heart-Shaped Box
\privat\Grab\Nirvana\In Utero\Nirvana - 03 - Heart-Shaped Box.mp3
#EXTINF:301,Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit
\privat\Grab\Nirvana\Nevermind\Nirvana - 01 - Smells like teen spirit.mp3
#EXTINF:219,Nirvana - Come As You Are
\privat\Grab\Nirvana\Nevermind\Nirvana - 03 - Come As You Are.mp3
#EXTINF:257,Nirvana - Lithium
\privat\Grab\Nirvana\Nevermind\Nirvana - 05 - Lithium.mp3

... meaning that winamp will have understood it, but also made it a "real" .m3u format
It will also have made the paths relative where relevant

And it will of course still work in VDJ - it won't care one way or the other :)

Posté Wed 14 Sep 22 @ 7:46 am
Thanks for the suggestion. I’m using macOS so it won’t work with Winamp. I’ll keep searching for a third party program that might do what I’m looking for. There’s plenty on the windows side but nothing yet for macOS that Ive found.

Posté Wed 14 Sep 22 @ 8:04 am
gabrieldiggs wrote :
Thanks for the suggestion. I’m using macOS so it won’t work with Winamp. I’ll keep searching for a third party program that might do what I’m looking for. There’s plenty on the windows side but nothing yet for macOS that Ive found.

You don't need it

Like I posted.just use your text editor, put in the file list, save with m3u extension, and you are done

Posté Wed 14 Sep 22 @ 8:10 am
Like this:

Posté Wed 14 Sep 22 @ 8:19 am
Thanks for the video tutorial. This won't work. I have 235 text playlists that need converting. If I were to do this manually for each text playlist I may as well just create the playlists manually from scratch inside Virtual DJ. The text playlists look like this:

1. artist - track
2. ariist - track
3. ariist - track
4. ariist - track
5. ariist - track
6. ariist - track
7. ariist - track
8. ariist - track
9. ariist - track
10. ariist - track

There is a way to do it but I have to write code to strip the list numbers and white space from the beginning of each line, add .mp3 to the end of each line then insert all of the proper m3u coding where necessary. It's basically just figuring out the correct code to write and batch processing all of the text files. Not impossible but it will take time trial and error to get it right if i want to go the automated route.

Posté Wed 14 Sep 22 @ 8:38 am
gabrieldiggs wrote :
Thanks for the video tutorial. This won't work. I have 235 text playlists that need converting. If I were to do this manually for each text playlist I may as well just create the playlists manually from scratch inside Virtual DJ. The text playlists look like this:

1. artist - track
2. ariist - track
3. ariist - track
4. ariist - track
5. ariist - track
6. ariist - track
7. ariist - track
8. ariist - track
9. ariist - track
10. ariist - track

There is a way to do it but I have to write code to strip the list numbers and white space from the beginning of each line, add .mp3 to the end of each line then insert all of the proper m3u coding where necessary. It's basically just figuring out the correct code to write and batch processing all of the text files. Not impossible but it will take time trial and error to get it right if i want to go the automated route.

Yes the file names have to be proper files names
All the other m3u stuff is not important - it will still work (like the video shows)

Posté Wed 14 Sep 22 @ 9:03 am
I did a test manually with one text list using the proper path syntax for macOS and it didn't work. I stripped the sequence numbers and white space added .mp3 to the end of each line and saved the file as m3u. The playlist showed up blank in Virtual DJ. I think there may be differences in the way VDJ reads playlists from mac to windows. Besides as I said I would have to do this manually with each of the 235 files. I may as well just create each of the 235 playlists from scratch from within virtual DJ instead of trying to manipulate the text files into m3u files. I'm going to continue my search and thank you for looking into this and suggesting possible solutions.

Posté Wed 14 Sep 22 @ 9:24 am
Hello again! I just wanted to come back here and say many thanks for your suggestion. When I did that test file I made an error in my syntax somewhere which is why the file came up blank :-S You were spot on. It took me the better part of a day but...... using a custom perl script, two custom sed scripts and a batch file re-namer I was able to convert all 235 playlists to m3u and they open just fine in VDJ. Since I use multiple sub folders by genre all of the file paths are wrong (I had to use the same generic file path for every track) and must be relocated manually but it's much easier to go in and correct those than to create each playlist from scratch. THANK YOU!

Posté Wed 14 Sep 22 @ 5:25 pm