Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Sound distortion in the first beat of a bar
Hello all,
I recently upgraded my laptop and I copied all my library to the new laptop through an external drive.
When loading tracks on the new laptop on virtual dj and rekordbox as well, on almost 80% of my tracks I get a sound distortion on the first beat of a 4 beat bar (sometimes also on the 3rd beat). It sounds like the first beat drops twice but with a milisecond difference between them, creating a really uncomfortable sound on my headphones and monitors as well (it cannot be noticed by 99% of the audience but still to me is a problem as it removes the smoothness from the tracks).
Do you have any advice on how this problem can be fixed?
Thank you in advance!

Posté Sun 22 Jan 23 @ 4:24 pm
That the problem exists outside VDJ (Rekordbox) tells me the problem lies with the computer. Do the standard "New laptop" things viz:
1. Remove ALL PC branded software. Dell/Lenovo/HP are particularly bad here. There are many guides to removing bloatware, here's one https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/easily-remove-bloatware-windows-10/
2. Check the power settings in your W10 for every single USB instance in the device manager viz:
a. click on the windows start button and start typing Device manager. It should auto-complete. Select it
b. scroll down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Expand that by clicking the >
c. go down the list and do this to every single item you see, noting that some will not show the thing we are looking for
d. select the item and right-click. In the box the opens find the "Power management" tab and select that
e. un-check the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" if it is checked, and click OK
f. repeat c-e for each one.
3. Make sure your soundcard (assuming its external) is plugged directly into the computer and not via a hub. Same for any external USB disks.
4. Get Windows anti-virus out of the equation - Do this:
Settings - Update & Security
Windows Security
Virus & Threat protection
Under Virus & Threat protection settings select Manage settings
Scroll down to Exclusions, select Add or remove exclusions
+ Add an exclusion
Process
virtualdj
Add
+ Add an exclusion
File type
(Do this one for each type of file you have media for. mp3, wav, vob, mp4 etc)
5. Give VDJ priority with the graphics in Windows:
Open Settings, in the search bar type Graphics and select Graphics Settings
Should open to “graphics performance settings”
In the “Choose an app to set preference” browse to where you have Virtualdj installed and select virtualdj.exe and select that
To emphasise - Point #1 above is often overlooked or not given the consideration that it's due. Ive advised numerous people who have observed strange audio issues to do this and it's like night and day, particularly with Dell but other laptops need to be considered similarly.

Posté Sun 22 Jan 23 @ 11:28 pm
@poshnjariklajdi are you on Mac or PC?

If using a controller, which one?

Without knowing details, my first suggestion would be to check audio buffer size. Set too low it can cause glitches.

Posté Mon 23 Jan 23 @ 5:40 pm
glenstarmix wrote :
That the problem exists outside VDJ (Rekordbox) tells me the problem lies with the computer. Do the standard "New laptop" things viz:
1. Remove ALL PC branded software. Dell/Lenovo/HP are particularly bad here. There are many guides to removing bloatware, here's one https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/easily-remove-bloatware-windows-10/
2. Check the power settings in your W10 for every single USB instance in the device manager viz:
a. click on the windows start button and start typing Device manager. It should auto-complete. Select it
b. scroll down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Expand that by clicking the >
c. go down the list and do this to every single item you see, noting that some will not show the thing we are looking for
d. select the item and right-click. In the box the opens find the "Power management" tab and select that
e. un-check the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" if it is checked, and click OK
f. repeat c-e for each one.
3. Make sure your soundcard (assuming its external) is plugged directly into the computer and not via a hub. Same for any external USB disks.
4. Get Windows anti-virus out of the equation - Do this:
Settings - Update & Security
Windows Security
Virus & Threat protection
Under Virus & Threat protection settings select Manage settings
Scroll down to Exclusions, select Add or remove exclusions
+ Add an exclusion
Process
virtualdj
Add
+ Add an exclusion
File type
(Do this one for each type of file you have media for. mp3, wav, vob, mp4 etc)
5. Give VDJ priority with the graphics in Windows:
Open Settings, in the search bar type Graphics and select Graphics Settings
Should open to “graphics performance settings”
In the “Choose an app to set preference” browse to where you have Virtualdj installed and select virtualdj.exe and select that
To emphasise - Point #1 above is often overlooked or not given the consideration that it's due. Ive advised numerous people who have observed strange audio issues to do this and it's like night and day, particularly with Dell but other laptops need to be considered similarly.

Thank you Glenstarmix for your thorough answer. That's what I think as well, that the problem lies within the new computer. Basically for the same tracks there is no distortion on my previous laptop. Also when I download the tracks again (as I also thought that the problem could lie with me copying the files from the drive) and I play them, the distortion remains. I followed all your tips but the problem unfortunately persists.

Posté Mon 23 Jan 23 @ 11:10 pm
groovindj wrote :
@poshnjariklajdi are you on Mac or PC?

If using a controller, which one?

Without knowing details, my first suggestion would be to check audio buffer size. Set too low it can cause glitches.

Hi GroovinDj,
Thank you for your answer.

I am on PC, a new Fujitsu LIFEBOOK with 8GB Ram and a 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 Processor. The old one was a HP with much lower parameters (that's why I think the problem is inside the computer settings rather than Vdj).
I am not using any controller, since I just wanted to prepare the tracks before playing on CDJs, and I was forced to use the old computer since I was not sure if the problem was going to stay in the tracks when exported to CDJs.
I tried also to increase the audio buffer size but still the distortion remains...

Posté Tue 24 Jan 23 @ 1:41 pm
Hello,
I partially fixed the problem.
Basically I turned off audio enhacements for my headphones and the problem is fixed, but the problem now is that windows will not open the audio files with my headphones plugged in, and also VDJ would not recognize my headphones anymore. Any solution on this?

Posté Tue 24 Jan 23 @ 9:48 pm