Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet MERGEFX - sometimes stops the track, sometimes not (is it a bug?)
B-PeterHome userMember since 2010
When MERGEFX is deactivated it often stops the track after few second of silence, while sometimes, even in using the same song and without changing any parameters of the effect, after the seconds of silence the track keeps play e sounds again... I can't find any logical reason for this and it seems to me that the effect behaves like a crazy horse.

Can someone explain to me what is causing it?

P.S. I've already posted in the WISHES section of the forum that the effect should really have a button to control the fact that the track stops or not after the deactivation. This would make the effect suitable for use it even on the stems, like remove the instrumental and keep the vocal plays (which is not possibile if the deactivation of the effect completely stop the track).

Posté Sun 12 Mar 23 @ 4:40 pm
MergeFX will always stop the track unless you manipulate the jog or hotcues after it's activation.
Also, turning off the effect itself will also stop the track.
If you want to turn off the effect but keep the track playing then you can use the effect's 1st button (Cancel)

Posté Tue 14 Mar 23 @ 11:20 am
NO, as visible in this short video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RasS9hLWvak), where Mergefx is applied only on the instrumental / beat, after the deactivation sometimes the tracks stop and sometimes not.

P.S.
I'm pretty sure this is a BUG... however it comes close to what I would like the effect to do!
In fact, I don't want to cancel the effect like you wrote (I didn't explain myself well), but, as in the video, I want to remove some stems (like instrumental) by deactivating the effect, which generates that big white noise, and keep playing stems on which the effect wasn't enabled (like vocal, in order to use it for mashup). The only thing to change would be that the sounds that have been muted by deactivating the effect should continue to remain muted even if the track continues playing, while in the BUG after a few seconds the muted sounds start playing again.
I don't understand why VirtualDJ doesn't put a simple button to the effect in order to make this BUG a real option, it would make the effect really much more useful with stems.

Posté Sun 19 Mar 23 @ 8:45 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
One problem with that option would be how to get the muted stems back.
You would need to enable the effect again or use the cancel button? Or it would mute the stems from the pads?

Posté Mon 20 Mar 23 @ 12:23 pm
First of all, the most important thing is that the track remains playing (either by default or through a button that controls this option) as happens sometimes in the bug video. After that, you could even mute the instrumental through MergeFX and, in those few seconds before the instrumental comes back playing, definitively mute it via the dedicated stem knob... it would be a struggle... but at least it would be doable.

To avoid this struggle and keep the sounds muted, there can be multiple ways.
For example, as you say, you can keep the sound muted until you click the Cancel button, very simple and effective.
Another possibility would be to set the whole process like Traktor does in the effects with the Freeze button (which I find very practical), but I understand that it would be a more substantial change.
I could list other possibilities but I think these are already useful to give an idea.

Posté Sat 25 Mar 23 @ 12:44 pm