Connexion rapide:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Sujet Creating Filter Folders
I'd like to filter my music by genre, but in a much broader way than the default Filter Folder works - I want to create filters "genre contains", whereas the default Filter Folder for genres is "genre group by" which creates waaaaaay too many filters!

Is there a way to create a Filter Folder this way? Or do I need to create a virtual folder, and then create individual filters for my genres?

Posté Sun 19 Mar 23 @ 6:18 am
Your wish can easily be done.

and one can click the Add conditions button and/or the Advanced check box to create even more refined/complex filters.

Filters in VDJ are very powerful.

see manual for creating Filter Folders:
https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj/interface/database/smartfolders/index.html#filter

and you may also be interested in Quick filters and Color Rules:

https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj/interface/database/search/index.html#quickfilter

https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtualdj/interface/database/search/index.html#colorrules

Posté Sun 19 Mar 23 @ 6:42 am
You can create a filter folder and one or more "genre contains" conditions.

Posté Sun 19 Mar 23 @ 6:54 am
The problem I'm having, is that when I add conditions, it's still creating one singular filter with either all or any of the listed attributes, not a list of filters for each of the genres I want filtered. I haven't been able to find in the documentation anywhere how to create a folder that creates a list of separate filters

genre contains Blues
genre contains Soul
genre contains R&B
genre contains Pop
genre contains Instrumental
genre contains Cover
etc, etc

Posté Sun 19 Mar 23 @ 7:39 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You can create a virtual folder, and inside this virtual folder add multiple filter folders, one for each genre

Posté Sun 19 Mar 23 @ 7:57 am
So it sounds like Virtual Folder with individual filters *is* the needed workaround for what I want to do. A little annoying that multiple individual filters can't be placed within Filter Folders (I get twitchy about consistency within organization systems), but a Virtual Folder will get the job done.

Posté Sun 19 Mar 23 @ 10:14 am
I have done extensive work on quick Filters and Colour Filters for my own use. My setup is based roughly around Genre. You could base the colour around a number of plays or the 5-star rating system. Using the colour filters my total database of 47k is coloured, tunes must be added to the database to be coloured. My system also changes the colour of songs once they have been played for the length of the History setting (default 45 seconds). I have a button at the top of the browser (Already Played). On clicking that button the songs that have been played are removed from the screen, who wants to see what you've already played? You can click that button again to bring them back if you wish.

Below are some screenshots of my current setup.

Quick Filters and Colour Rules;

Played Songs (Salmon coloured);

Played Songs removed (Already Played button pressed);

Full Screenshot;

I also have a Virtual Folder called DO NOT PLAY - BAND SETLIST
If working with a band I put their setlist in that folder (if I have the tunes) or a wedding do not play list. Then I highlight them all and mark them as PLAYED which will automatically turn their colour to the Salmon colour as above. At the end of a gig shutting down the VirtualDJ session the colours will automatically return to their ORIGINAL colours. Or you can just delete all the tunes in the Virtual Folder.

If this doesn't work for you, maybe it will give you some ideas.

Have fun. :-)

Posté Sun 19 Mar 23 @ 3:00 pm
^^^ I also try to get a setlist from bands so I don't duplicate and step on their toes :-)

I'm going to try this work in filters because I'm still having problems getting songs with multiple genres filtered the way I want them. There's another thread in here where I show the problem of multiple genres of the same name showing up in "filter". I want all songs with certain genre names to be sorted into a filter with that genre name showing up once.

For instance, if a song has a genre of "80s;Metal;Classic Rock", I want the song to show up in filters on the left that are:

80s
Metal
Classic Rock

But I also want all songs with just those singular genres to show up in those filters, also.

Posté Fri 31 Mar 23 @ 6:26 pm
My advice:

80s is not a genre, it's a decade. IMO you should be showing decade by filtering the year tag to show tracks between 1980 and 1989.

Also, classic rock is not a genre. Ideally the genre tag should contain just one genre (the most common or accurate for that track). You could include "classic rock" in another tag and filter it that way.

Posté Sat 01 Apr 23 @ 8:03 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
@DJNeidermeyer so use "contains" as a filter.

Posté Sat 01 Apr 23 @ 11:28 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Fyi, the bug with "group by genre" showing some genres in duplicate will be fixed in the next update.
It turns out this only occurred for genres starting with a number (like 80s) but not with other genres.

Posté Sat 01 Apr 23 @ 11:37 am
Adion wrote :
Fyi, the bug with "group by genre" showing some genres in duplicate will be fixed in the next update.
It turns out this only occurred for genres starting with a number (like 80s) but not with other genres.

Thank you! I knew it had to be a bug! I appreciate the developers' attention.

Posté Tue 04 Apr 23 @ 3:26 pm
hrdnxPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Greetings All
O'm trying to create a Quick Filter to show only tracks that has info in the Remix field.
How can I achieve this please?????

Posté Mon 22 Jan 24 @ 8:51 pm

Posté Mon 22 Jan 24 @ 9:08 pm

This should be easier, and catch all

Posté Mon 22 Jan 24 @ 9:31 pm
or
title remix contains (

@phantom, first thing I tried, but doesn't work on

Posté Mon 22 Jan 24 @ 9:39 pm
Yup, Tried Phantom's method first, but that didn't work.
Funny thing though I remembered using that exact method some time ago on a button I think? Got it from @Loco

Posté Mon 22 Jan 24 @ 10:30 pm
Are you guys using quotes ?

Posté Tue 23 Jan 24 @ 9:50 am
I did.

Ah, I see what's happening
From the instant filters window it works as expected, but from the filter editor window you have to leave the string blank as the string will be wrapped in " "

so instant filters window wants
remix is not ""

but filter editor wants
remix is not

Posté Tue 23 Jan 24 @ 9:58 am
Much thanks to all you guys

Posté Tue 23 Jan 24 @ 1:01 pm