Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet New Option for clone deck to respect turntable pitch
I currently have custom mapped my DJM S9 to have the double tap Load button (clone deck) respect the pitch of the deck:

doubleclick? clone_from_deck & timecode_reset_pitch : load

This was done in order for timecode setups to respect the turntable so that the newly cloned deck does not have a skewed pitch adjustment range based on what it was cloned from (and matches what happens in other software I've used).

However, if I have to use any new battle mixer with turntables, I have to go in and map the instant doubles/clone deck functionality in various places to do that, in advance of playing on it.

Is it possible that a timecode option could be added to have clone_from_deck vehave like this by default?

Also, a follow-on suggestion could be, given controllers are detected, the default for the new option could be a best effort deduction based on what is connected - if at least one timecode setup is detected, use this modified behaviour, else use what it is normally. If current behaviour compatibility is desired, then this follow-on could be ignored.

Posté Fri 24 Mar 23 @ 6:51 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Normally when using clone deck you'd want the other deck to keep synchronised with the original deck no?

Posté Sat 25 Mar 23 @ 2:24 pm
Adion wrote :
Normally when using clone deck you'd want the other deck to keep synchronised with the original deck no?

So in a controller/CDJ-type setup yes. In a turntable + timecode setup, no, because now:

1) The turntable actual pitch setting and range doesn't reflect the real song tempo, (it's in some weird range)

2) Pitch takeover modes (controllerTakeoverMode) are only documented as useable with controllers (which i assume have jogs/motorized platters that send midi signals) and not timecode, which means you can't get out of that weird situation with timecode

3) Even if 2) is not true

a) Timecode pitch change response is never instant (so it will take you longer to get the reset happening, and that is valuable mix time)

b) It is very easy for the required pitch shift to reset the deck, to be outside +-8% (which is where most people keep their turntable pitch range, or could be the only option with older technics turntables) or even +-16%. This could also cause two songs that would normally be beatmatch-able to no longer be matchable, just by cloning a song with a higher/lower bpm and shifting its bpm high/low enough out of range of the lagest shift possible for the next song.

Posté Sat 25 Mar 23 @ 4:44 pm
Just to confirm I'm not an outlier here/being difficult/not understanding...try cloning a timecode deck/instant doubles with other software and see what happens.

Posté Sat 25 Mar 23 @ 4:50 pm