PIONEER DDJ-800 for VirtualDJ 2018 Last Update : July 2020
Firmware & DriversFirmware
: Update the firmware of the unit to the latest version from Pioneer DjDrivers
: Install the latest drivers (for both Windows
and MacOS X
computers) from Pioneer Dj Attention MAC Users:
MAC users using OS X 10.13 or greater need to allow the drivers to run via [System Preferences] > [Security & Privacy] applet before using the controller. For more information please read Pioneer DJ documentation
on this subject.
VirtualDJ 8 Setup
Download and install VirtualDJ 2018 from our Downloads Page
(in case you have not done already)
Once VirtualDJ 2018 is launched, a Login Window will appear. Please login with your preferred method from the ones provided.
A Pro Infinity
or a Pro Subscription
License is required to fully use the Pioneer DDJ-800
Without any of the above Licenses, the controller will operate for 10 minutes
each time you restart VirtualDJ.Buy a licenseA detection window will appear next verifying proper connection with the DDJ-800.
Click on the "Use Soundcard" button for VirtualDJ to apply the predefined audio setup with the built-in sound card of the DDJ-800. You can still change that from Settings->AUDIO tab.
Click to OK.
The unit is now ready to operate.
Advanced SetupMIDI Operation
The unit should be visible in the CONTROLLERS tab of Config and the “factory default” should be available/selected from the Mappings drop-down list. The factory default Mapping offers the functions described in this Manual, however those can be adjusted to your needs via VDJ Script actions.
Find more details at VDJ Pedia
The unit has a pre-defined Audio setup and a special button in the AUDIO tab of Config to provide that. Alternative Audio setups can be applied in the same window.
For further software settings please refer to the Manuals
of VirtualDJ 2018
Hold this button down to access secondary functions of Pioneer DDJ-800 (mainly in black lettering inside a gray box)
The functionality of each button, knob and slider per section (as shown in the image above) will be explained in detail in the next chapters
Mixer & Effects
- CROSSFADER. Blends audio between the channels assigned to the left and right side of the crossfader.
- VOLUME. Adjust the Volume of each channel. While SHIFT is held down, the VOLUME faders will stop the deck at the previously selected Cue when these reach the minimum level (zero) and will start the deck (synced to the other deck) if those move from the zero position. (Fader Start)
- CUE (PFL) (per channel) Press these buttons to send each channel to the Headphones Output channel.
- COLOR FX PARAMETER. Adjust the parameter of the selected COLOR FX for each channel. When in middle position, the COLOR FX has no effect on the sound.
- LOW EQ. Adjust the Low frequencies for each mixer channel.
- MID EQ. Adjust the Mid frequencies for each mixer channel.
- HI EQ. Adjust the High frequencies for each mixer channel.
- TRIM. Adjust the Gain of each mixer channel. Note that the "zero gain / park" position is 12 o clock.
- INPUT SELECTORS. Define the source of each Channel. Put the switchers to Deck 1 / Deck 3 or Deck 2 / Deck 4 position for software mixing.
- CH INPUT VUMETER. Shows each channels input (pre fader) volume.
- MASTER OUTPUT VUMETER. Shows the master output volume of the unit. Hardware operation.
- SAMPLER VOLUME. Adjust the Master Output Volume of the VirtualDJ Sampler
- MASTER VOLUME. Adjust the level of the Master Output. Hardware operation but movement visible on the VirtualDJ GUI
- MASTER CUE (PFL). Send the Master Output of the unit to the Headphones Output channel. Please note that in order to hear the Master Output on your headphones you must also turn the HEADPHONES MIXING (17) knob to the desired position.
- BOOTH MONITOR. Adjust the level of the Booth Output of the DDJ-800.
- HEADPHONES VOLUME. Adjust the volume of the Headphones Channel. Hardware operation, but movement visible on the VirtualDJ GUI.
- HEADPHONES MIXING. Adjust how the Channels and the Master Output blend at the Headphones Channel. Hardware operation, but movement visible on the VirtualDJ GUI.
- SOUND COLOR FX. Select one of the predefined Color Effects (Dub Echo, Pitch, Noise and Filter).
- AUX LEVEL: Adjust the volume of the auxiliary input on the back of the DDJ-800
- MIC LOW EQ. Adjust the Low frequencies of MIC1 and MIC2 Inputs of the DDJ-800
- MIC HI EQ. Adjust the High frequencies of MIC1 and MIC2 Inputs of the DDJ-800
- MIC 2 VOLUME. Adjust the Volume Level of MIC2 Input of the DDJ-800
- MIC 1 VOLUME. Adjust the Volume Level of MIC1 Input of the DDJ-800
- MIC CONTROL. Turn ON and OFF the MIC1 and MIC2 Inputs of the DDJ-800.
- LOAD: Loads the selected track on deck. Double click this button to clone the track from the other deck to this deck (instant doubles)
Turn: Scrolls through files or folders.
Push: If focus is on songs press the knob to set focus on the Folders list. If focus is on the Folders list, press to open or close the subfolders of the selected folder.
Hold down SHIFT and press the knob down to return to Songs list, or cycle between the available lists (Folder, Songs and Sideview)
- BACK. Press this button to cycle focus to between Folders, Songs and Sideview lists.
Hold down SHIFT and press this button to cycle focus between the available Sideview lists.
- VIEW. Press this button to zoom the browser.
Hold down this button for one second to open the track info panel for the currently browsed song.
Hold down SHIFT and press this button to add the currently browsed song on the Playlist List.
The BEAT FX section is used to apply VirtualDJ effects* to Decks/Master and Sampler.
*Pioneer DDJ-800 does not offer any hardware effects
- BEAT FX LCD SCREEN: Shows information about the selected effect.
- BEAT: Use these buttons to half/double the Beats Parameter of the selected Effect (for the Effects that are beat-aware). The beats value is displayed on the LCD screen.
- BEAT FX SELECT: Use this selector knob to select one of the available Beat FX. The name of the selected Effect is displayed on the LCD screen.
- BEAT FX ASSIGN: Use this selector knob to select to which source the effect will apply to. (Decks, Master or Sampler). The selected source will be displayed on the LCD screen.
- BEAT FX LEVEL: Use this knob to adjust the 1st Parameter of the selected Effect.
- BEAT FX ON: Use button to enable/disable the selected Beat FX. Its led will flash when enabled
- PLAY/PAUSE. Plays / Pauses the track. Press and hold SHIFT and then press this button to "stutter-play" the track from the last set Cue Point.
- CUE. When the Deck is paused, you can set a temporary Cue Point by moving the Platter to place the Audio Pointer at the desired location and then pressing the Cue Button. During playback, you can press the Cue Button to return the track to this Cue Point. (If you did not set a Cue Point, then it will return to the beginning of the track.). If the Deck is paused, you can press and hold the Cue Button to play the track from the Temporary Cue Point. Releasing the Cue Button will return the track to the temporary Cue Point and pause it. To continue playback without returning to the Temporary Cue Point, press and hold the Cue Button, then press and hold the Play Button, and then release both buttons.
Hold down SHIFT and then press this button to return to the beginning of the track.
- SEARCH: Use these buttons to move track backwards/forward by 4 beats. Keep the buttons pushed for continuous seeking.
S SHIFT: Press and hold this button to access secondary functions (black lettering in gray box) of other controls on the DDJ-800.
Double click this button to toggle the On Jog Display of DDJ-800 between Cover and Info modes.
- SLIP. Enables Slip Mode. Several software functions (such as Jogwheel movements, HotCues and Loops) will apply temporary on the track, and the track will return to the position it would have been if those functions were not triggered.
Hold down SHIFT and press this button to toggle between the Scratch and Bend Jogwheel modes.
- SLIP REVERSE. Press and hold this button to play the track backwards. On release the track will continue from the position it would have been if the button was never pressed.
Hold down SHIFT and press this button (momentarily) to play the track backwards. Press again to return to forward direction.
- LOOP IN. Use this button to set a Loop In point (for manual looping). If a loop is active press this button in order to use the jog for fine-tuning the loop-in point (loop in adjust). While the jog is in fine-tuning mode press this button once again (or exit the loop) for the jog to return to it's normal operation.
Hold this button for approximately one second in order to activate a 4 beats automatic loop.
- LOOP OUT. Use this button to set a Loop Out point (for manual looping). If a loop is active press this button in order to use the jog for fine-tuning the loop-out point (loop out adjust). While the jog is in fine-tuning mode press this button once again (or exit the loop) for the jog to return to it's normal operation.
- RELOOP/EXIT. Use this button to exit a loop or reactivate the last used loop.
- QUANTIZE: Press this button to toggle Quantize on/off. When Quantize is enabled, setting loops, jumping between hot cue points and starting playback of the deck will snap to the grid (CBG) of the track.
- CUE/LOOP CALL: Use these buttons to navigate between the saved hotcues of the track. If a loop is active, use these button to halve or double the loop size.
- DELETE: Deletes the 1st (default) Saved Loop slot.
- MEMORY: Use this button to save (and enable) a Loop at the current position to the 1st (default) Saved Loop slot. When a track has a Saved Loop at the default slot, use this button to enable the Loop at its saved position. Track will jump to this position if current position is later to the Saved Loop, and will not jump if earlier.
- JOGWHEEL. Pressure sensitive platter for scratching (Vinyl Mode) or bending (CD Mode).
- JOG FEELING ADJUST. Adjust the tension of the jogwheel (hardware operation)
- SYNC. Press this button to automatically match the corresponding Deck's tempo with the opposite Deck's (or the Master Deck’s if using a 4 decks Skin) tempo and phase.
Hold down SHIFT and press this button to set this deck as Master Deck (for 4 decks skins).
- KEY SYNC. Press this button to match the musical Key of the track with the Key of the Master deck (or the other deck if using a 2 decks skin). The Key will change only if the change required to match the keys is within +/-1 semitone range.
Hold down SHIFT and press this button to reset the track back to it's original Key
- PITCH RANGE: Press this button to cycle through the available pitch ranges (6%, 10%, 16% and 100%)
- MASTER TEMPO: Press this button to "lock" the track's pitch to its original key. The track's tempo will remain at the speed designated by the Pitch Fader.
- TEMPO. Controls the track's playback tempo.
- PAD MODE. Switch the pads of the unit to various modes (see PADS)
- PAGE/PARAMETERS. Offer various operations, depending on the PADs Mode (see PADS)
- PADS. Offer various operations, depending on the PADs Mode (see PADS)
- DECK. Shows the current deck assignment for the deck controls.
- COVER. Displays the cover art of the track.
- KEY ADJUSTMENT. Shows the musical Key adjustment applied on the track.
- CURRENT KEY. Shows the current musical Key of the track.
- CURRENT BPM. Shows the current BPM (Beats Per Minute) of the track.
- PITCH ADJUSTMENT. Shows the current pitch adjustment of the track.
- PITCH RANGE. Shows the pitch range that can be used by the Tempo Slider.
- WAVEFORM. Displays the track's waveform among with the location of the track's hotcues.
- CUE SCOPE. Displays the grid (CBG) of the track, among with the location of the track's hotcues.
- CUE STICKER POSITION. Marks the location of the current cue.
- JOG ROTATION STICKER. Shows the rotation of the jog.
- TIME DISPLAY. Shows the elapsed or remain time of the track.
- SYNC. Turns on when the track loaded on this deck is in sync with the track of the Master deck
- MASTER. Turns on when the current deck is selected as the Master deck.
The 8 Pads offer various functions, depending on the selected Pad mode. Each of the 4 Pad mode buttons offers 2 individual modes. One with the press of the mode button, and an additional mode with press of the mode button while SHIFT
is held down. The 8 modes represent a page of the PADS section on the default VirtualDJ GUI.
- PAD MODE. Press any of the 4 available Pad mode buttons to set the Pads to Hotcues, PAD FX1, Beatjump and Sampler mode.
Hold SHIFT and then press any of the 4 available Pad mode buttons to set the Pads to Cue Loop, PAD FX2, Beat Loop and Keycue mode.
- PADS. The 8 Pads offer different functionality depending on the selected mode.
- PAGE/PARAMETERS. Depending on the selected mode, these buttons control the selected page or the parameters of the selected mode.
Press the HOT CUE
mode button to set the PADs to Hot Cue mode (button will be lit purple) and automatically load the Hotcues Pads page in VirtualDJ GUI
The Hot Cues mode is divided to 2 sub pages. The first page will control hotcues 1-8 and the second page will control hotcues 9-16.
In order to switch between the 2 different pages use the PAGE/PARAMETERS buttons.
When the left PAGE button is lit, the first page is selected. When the right PAGE button is lit, the second page is selected.
Each one of the 8 pads assigns a Hot Cue Point, or jumps
the track to that Hot Cue Point (if assigned).
When a Hot Cue Button is unlit, you can assign a Hot Cue Point by pressing it at the desired point in your track. Once it is assigned, the Hot Cue Button will light on.
and then press a pad to delete
its assigned Hot Cue Point.
Hotcues Pads Page 1 (Hotcues 1-8) – VirtualDJ GUI
Hotcues Pads Page 2 (Hotcues 9-16) – VirtualDJ GUI
Press the PAD FX1 mode button to set the PADs to PAD FX1 mode (button will be lit purple) and automatically load the PAD FX1 page in VirtualDJ GUI. The PAD FX1 Page is a custom page for the DDJ-800 and will only be available if the unit is connected.
Each one of the 8 pad triggers a pre-defined Effect as per the image on the side.
Pads 1-3 : Trigger the Echo Effect of 1/2, 1 and 2 beats size respectively.
Pad 4: Triggers the Phaser Effect at 8 beats Speed.
Pads 5-7: Trigger the Cut Effect of 1/4, 1/2 and 1 beats size respectively.
Pad 8: Triggers the Flanger Effect at 8 beats Speed.
PAD FX1 Pads Page – VirtualDJ GUI
Press the BEAT JUMP mode button to set the PADs to Beat Jump mode (button will be lit purple) and automatically load the BeatJump Pads page in VirtualDJ GUI
In this mode, each one of the Pads will jump the track backwards/forward by the amount of beats depending on the selected page/bank (from 1/8 beats to 32 bars)
Use the PAGE/PARAMETERS buttons to select the previous/next page with the desired Beats sizes
Beatjump Page page
Press the Sampler mode button to set the PADs to Sampler mode (button will be lit purple) and automatically load the Sampler Pads page in VirtualDJ GUI
Each one of the 8 pads triggers a sample from the selected Sampler Bank of VirtualDJ. If a bank has less than 9 samples, both sides of the DDJ-800 will control the same samples. If a bank has more than 8 samples, the left side of the DDJ-800 will control samples 1 to 8 and the right side samples 9 to 16.
Press the pads to trigger a sample. Depending on the selected trigger Pad mode, use SHIFT and the same pads to stop the sample.
Use the PAGE/PARAMETER buttons to select the Sampler Bank (previous/next).
Sampler Pads Page – VirtualDJ GUI
Hold down SHIFT and press the HOT CUE mode button to set the PADs to Cue Loop mode (button will be lit blue) and automatically load the Cue Loop Pads page in VirtualDJ GUI
In this mode each one of the 8 pads assigns a Hot Cue Point or jumps the track to that Hot Cue Point, but in both cases, it also triggers a Loop at that point (momentary or toggle depending on the selected mode from the Page menu).
Hold SHIFT and then press a pad to stutter/jump to the Hotcue (loop will remain triggered)
Use the PAGE/PARAMETER buttons to half/double the size of the triggered Loop.
Hold SHIFT and then use the PAGE buttons to select the On/Off (Toggle) or Hold (momentary) Loop trigger mode.
Cue Loop Pads Page – VirtualDJ GUI
Hold down SHIFT and press the PAD FX1 mode button to set the PADs to PAD FX2 mode (button will be lit blue) and automatically load the PAD FX2 page in VirtualDJ GUI. The PAD FX2 Page is a custom page for the DDJ-800 and will only be available if the unit is connected.
Each one of the 8 pad triggers a pre-defined Effect as per the image on the side.
Pads 1-3 : Trigger the Loop Roll Effect of 1/4, 1/2 and 1 beats size respectively.
Pad 4: Triggers the Reverb Effect.
Pads 5-7: Trigger the 1st, 4th and 5th bank of Beat Grid Effect respectively.
Pad 8: Triggers the BrakeStart Effect.
PAD FX2 Pads Page – VirtualDJ GUI
Hold down SHIFT and press the BEAT JUMP mode button to set the PADs to Loop mode (button will be lit blue) and automatically load the Loop Pads page in VirtualDJ GUI
Press one of the pads to trigger an Auto Loop of a different size in beats, depending on the selected page. There are 6 different pages available with sizes starting from 1/32 up to 128 beats.
Use the PAGE/PARAMETER buttons to select the previous/next page with the desired Loop sizes
Hold SHIFT and then use the PARAMETER buttons to change the behavior of the Loop pads, by selecting the On/Off (toggle), Hold (momentary – while pad is pressed) or the Roll mode (track will resume to the position it would have been once the pad is released)
Loop Pads Page – VirtualDJ GUI
Hold down SHIFT
and press the SAMPLER
mode button to set the PADs to KeyCue mode (button will be lit blue) and automatically load the KeyCue Pads page in VirtualDJ GUI
KeyCue Page - VirtualDJ default skin
KeyCue Page when SHIFT is pressed - VirtualDJ default skin
In this mode, the Pads trigger a selected Hotcue point (or the Temporary Cue if none selected or not available) at a selected Key semitone (from -7 to +7).
8 different pages/banks are offered with various semitone values to use and a 0 value (reset key to tis original value) is always offered in all pages.
and then select a Hotcue
for the Key pads to trigger. Each time a Pad is pressed, the track will jump to that Hotcue point and will also alter the Key of the track to the value designated by it assigned value.
Use the PAGE/PARAMETER buttons to adjust the Key
of the track without trigger a Hotcue.
Hold down SHIFT
and use the PAGE/PARAMETERS buttons to select a different page/bank
with different key semitone values.
Read further details about Pads in the VirtualDJ 8 manual
Front - Rear
- HEADPHONES CONNECTOR: Connect your headphones. Both sizes (3.5mm and 6.35mm ( 1⁄4 in)) are offered.
- DC INPUT: Connect the supplied PSU.
- POWER SWITCH: Turns on/off the power on the device. Please turn on the device only after doing and securing all connections on the back.
- BOOTH OUT: Booth signal output (TRS – Balanced). The strength of the signal is controlled by “BOOTH MONITOR LEVEL” knob (15) on the mixer section. Use it to connect your booth speakers, or an amp that needs different sound output level than master output.
- MASTER OUT2: Master signal output connectors (RCA – Unbalanced). Use it to connect with another mixer, or consumer grade amplifier.
- MASTER OUT1: Master signal output connectors (XLR – Balanced). Use this to connect on your pro grade amplifier or self-powered speakers.
- CH2 INPUT: Connect an analog source on CH2 of the DDJ-800 mixer. You can connect a turntable or a CD-Player. The input is selectable via “INPUT SELECT SWITCH” (9) on the mixer section.
Depending on whether you connect a turntable or a cd-player please remember to adjust the phono/line switch accordingly.
- GND SCREW: Use it to screw your GND (ground) cable from turntables that provide it in order to eliminate GND static noise.
- CH1 INPUT: Connect an analog source on CH1 of the DDJ-800 mixer. You can connect a turntable or a CD-Player. The input is selectable via “INPUT SELECT SWITCH” (9) on the mixer section.
Depending on whether you connect a turntable or a cd-player please remember to adjust the phono/line switch accordingly.
- MIC 1 INPUT: Connect a mic on the DDJ-800 mixer. You can use XLR or Jack (TRS) connectors.
- MIC 2 INPUT: Connect a mic on the DDJ-800 mixer. You can only use a Jack (TRS) connector.
- AUX INPUT: Connect a line level device such as another mixer. The level of this input is controlled by "AUX LEVEL" (19) knob on the mixer section.
- USB CONNECTOR: Use a standard USB cable to connect DDJ-800 with your computer.
Controller Settings & Options
Pioneer DDJ-800 offers a variety of settings and options regarding it's operation.
You can change these settings by connecting your controller, opening VirtualDJ configuration, clicking on 'options' icon on the left and then on 'controller' icon on main options screen.
The following options will be presented:
All the settings that are exclusive
to Pioneer DDJ-800 will be presented on top, starting with the DDJ800-
- DDJ800-jogScreenBrightness: Set the desired brightness for the Jog display screen
- DDJ800-fxScreenBrightness: Set the desired brightness for the FX display screen
- DDJ800-demoMode: Set the time that the controller will enter 'Demo Mode' if left alone without any operation
- DDJ800-autoStandby: Set whether the device should automatically enter standby mode
- DDJ800-masterOutputAttenuation: Set the desired attenuation level of master output
- DDJ800-boothOutputAttenuation: Set the desired attenuation level of booth output
- DDJ800-masterOutputStereo: Set whether the master output should be stereo or monaural
- DDJ800-boothOutputStereo: Set whether the booth output should be stereo or monaural
- DDJ800-masterOutputLimiter: Enable the device built-in Peak Stop Limiter on Master Output
- DDJ800-masterOutputMute: Mute the Master Output of the device
- DDJ800-micToMasterLimiter: Enable a Peak Stop Limiter for the mic when audible on Master Output
- DDJ800-micToBoothLimiter: Enable a Peak Stop Limiter for the mic when audible on Booth Output
- DDJ800-micAudibleToBooth: Set whether the mic should be audible on Booth Output
- DDJ800-micMode: Set the desired mic mode. When micMode is "Software" the sound of the mic inputs is routed to VirtualDJ so that you can apply software effects on them. However the latency of the mic sound may rise a little
- DDJ800-micLowCut: Enable a Low Cut Filter on Mic Inputs
- DDJ800-mixerModel: Set the desired mixer mode for 4 decks mixing.
- DDJ800-slipModeFlash: Set whether or not the pads should blink when slip mode gets enabled
- DDJ800-slipButtonLed: Set whether or not the slip button should blink when slip mode gets enabled
- DDJ800-timeDisplay: Set the desired time display for the Jog Screen of the device
- DDJ800-jogBlinkWarning: Set whether or not the Jog Screen should blink as a warning near the end of the track
- DDJ800-jogScreenShowBeats: Set whether or not the Beat Scope should be visible on Jog display screen
- DDJ800-jogScreenShowCover: Set whether or not the Artwork should be visible on Jog display screen
- DDJ800-jogScreenMode: Set the default operation mode for the Jog display screen
- DDJ800-crossfaderCutLag: Adjust the crossfader cut point
Please note that any changes made on these settings take effect immediately.
Also for these settings to take effect the "Factory Default" mapping has to be used.
Any custom mapper made prior the release of VirtualDJ 2021 won't be able to use these settings. In such case, the custom mapper will have to be re-created by using VirtualDJ 2021 "Factory Default" mapper as a base.
For further Technical features and specifications, visit Pioneer DDJ-800
Hardware Integration Department 2020 - ATOMIX PRODUCTIONS Reproduction of this manual in full or in part without written permission from Atomix Productions is prohibited.