Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet HARMONIC KEY MIXING - SIMPLIFIED [with Virtual DJ] - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

Ever tried using that harmonic key mixing wheel ??
understanding it takes a while... to read interpret
have to keep looking and interpreting over and over - at least for me

The simple table below should make it a lot simpler especially for VDJers
ALL you need to do is remember that for harmonic mixing you can use the key immediately above or below the current
key you are using.

E.g. if you are currently playing or using track with key"C#m" you can choose either "F#m" or "G#m" to continue mixing in key

G#m
D#m
A#m
Fm
Cm
Gm
Dm
Am
Em
Bm
F#m
C#m
(then start from the top again)

small enough to have on a small remind card etc. when playing a gig

Posté Sun 04 Jan 09 @ 6:13 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
that's why the circle was made actually, to have a contionous loop
of data, and also a parallel minor/major in normal (centerward) direction
that can also be mixed.

A good idea was also to put the wheel as a vinyl label on a skin in vdj.
And as the engine is flexible enough, a seperate wheel could be made
(probably) to be rotated just for viewing the key anywhere on skin...

Edit: sorry norway, was just editing my post :P

Posté Sun 04 Jan 09 @ 6:42 am
yeah, the camelot mix wheel is nice

Posté Sun 04 Jan 09 @ 6:47 am
guess must be the major that confusing the hell out of me.. when using the wheel

I do a lot short mini VID mixes... in Sony Vegas... and was recommended by a member a while back to start using the harmonic mixing chart.
A little aftewards.. VDJ added key.

The option of harmonic mixing gave me so many ideas of songs i would never even think of putting together.... using VDj i look at the keys...bpms etc... song type..... and i come up with all type of crazy combination when i play out.... even some djs ask how i came up with those combination.... and even ask for tips... so i guess... it is working for me

this little table i guess because it black and white . no colours etc or slices.. just makes it simple and it matches all the keys in VDJ

Posté Sun 04 Jan 09 @ 6:53 am
well why not, if it works for you :) it's just that the wheel has more data available.

Of course the best way to do it is using your ear if you have the sense (enough
experience) for that.

Posté Sun 04 Jan 09 @ 6:56 am
aha.....
now i get what you are saying.......

I look at the wheel.. I can read it.... better now.... silly me
but never realized the vertical part of it... with them major key thingy

actually thought ... so much info... that i dont need
just realized that all the majors are on the outside too
while the minors are on the inside

guess i can.... edit and the inside circle for VDJ only and put the F#M instead of F Flat Minor etc.
putting it on a skin...hmmmm.. pretty nice

never knew they had them on skins

guess i can do a remake

@exron.. i use my ears.....(been using my ears from ever since)..........
I do a lot of remixing as well... this is what makes my gigs so different from many
but for me when i have an idea for mixing... i have to be thinking and experimenting and listening to what sounds right going through so many songs that just at the end of the day just dont cut it.. and a waste of time too

With this harmonic mixing..... i cut out a lot of time wasting.....listening... to songs that dont match.... and also.. being provided with songs that will work that i would never have thought about....

Posté Sun 04 Jan 09 @ 6:58 am
That's true of course, sometimes on the fly it's just faster to read the data from a short list
than actually experimenting by ear :)

Also instead of major/minor just put caps and small caps, eg. C/a G F, G/e D C, etc...

Posté Sun 04 Jan 09 @ 7:12 am
well this might be worthwhile for us vdj users
did a little photoshop thingy.. of the Camelot

This should be a nice addition just to use with VDJ right?? erxon... dj-in-norway???

Posté Sun 04 Jan 09 @ 7:45 am
Why not use the Camelot numbers column in VDJ and just sort on that column???

Come on, that's the whole principle of the Camelot numbers!!!

You then have all the 8A's together and right next to them you will have all the 8B's, you simply move up and down the numbers or move from the same A number to the same B number. How simple is that???

You don't necessarily need to know the major and minor chords, just how to move between the numbers!!!

I did this in Ibiza in June at The Orange Corner for my 5 hour chilled house set and also at Bora Bora, Playa D'en Bossa, Ibiza for my 3 hour Electro House set. In fact, this was the only reason why I used VDJ this year in Ibiza rather than Traktor which I had used for the previous two years. I first used harmonic mixing with Traktor in 2006 at The Orange Corner, however, it was awkward using Mixed In Key and transferring the keys into Traktor. I was ecstatic when VDJ included the Camelot system into the latest incarnation of VDJ.

Posté Sun 04 Jan 09 @ 8:43 am
VDJ has the number system in their keys????
Never knew that .. have never seen it

Posté Sun 04 Jan 09 @ 8:51 am
digitalwiz wrote :

Yeh!!!

VDJ 5.2.1 has a KEY column and also a CAMELOT column. Put your mouse on the titles of the columns and right mouse click, they are there in the list, just need a tick to switch them on!!!

Simply sort your lists by the CAMELOT column and............................... wow!

You may have to re-anaylise your database if it's been done by a previous version of VDJ, but, it's worth the time and effort!

Posté Sun 04 Jan 09 @ 9:05 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
DJSoulman wrote :
digitalwiz wrote :

Yeh!!!

VDJ 5.2.1 has a KEY column and also a CAMELOT column. Put your mouse on the titles of the columns and right mouse click, they are there in the list, just need a tick to switch them on!!!

Simply sort your lists by the CAMELOT column and............................... wow!

You may have to re-anaylise your database if it's been done by a previous version of VDJ, but, it's worth the time and effort!

Right mouse click the bar in the browser in VDJ. Add either Camalot, or key, or both. Then right click the little circle next to the search box and add whichever, or both, method you prefer.

Posté Sun 04 Jan 09 @ 10:03 am
thanks you guys... never knew... man
I have been stressing over this key thing so much
now... i have added it to views

Wow.. everyday.. you discover something that is already there

thanks DJSOULMAN and thanks TearEmUp

no need to memorize anything now
no learning curve at all.. ant to think........DARN... which I had said something before now..

Posté Sun 04 Jan 09 @ 12:51 pm
marcellodjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
This is a perfect example why I love VDJ so much...... The more you think you know, the more you realise you actually don't know ;D

Posté Sun 04 Jan 09 @ 1:09 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
digitalwiz wrote :
F#M instead of F Flat Minor etc.

Just a correction wiz;)

There no F flat minor exist as it is only a half bar. Also there is no C flat too. Or also B and E there is no sharp.
I only explained it as general only;)

Just example.

Major (Going Sharp)

A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#.

Major (Going Flat)

G, Gb, F, E, Eb, D, Db, C, B, Bb, A, Ab

Regards mon;)

Posté Sun 04 Jan 09 @ 1:35 pm

Just dont go harmonic mixing stuck in a "harmonic loop" where the whole dj set sounds like one long song in one key...

To apply harmonic mixing, you need to go beyond the Camelot keys (or really the circle of 5th, an old system dated earlier than djs).

You need to apply modulation ( for example to go 7 steps up on the scale, giving a lift feel, that will lift the dancefloor and athmospehere).

There is more to good harmonic mixing that the camelot wheel (circle of 5th), but its a good start

:)

Posté Sun 04 Jan 09 @ 5:25 pm
true..
but one of the things i mix for is tv
and not for long....each episode lasts basically for 7 1/2 minutes then commercial

then back to the mixing.......... most of it is done in Sony Vegas...

one of the main issues has to do with remixes... and the complimenting of acapellas with instrumentals

When mixing live.... i often in key.. but it is not something i follow rigid.. just something that i like playing around with to
get some surprises in with the crowd.. get them to know that the Dj selections are smooth follow the crowd
some songs just go with some.... and is indeed a breath of fresh air

Posté Sun 04 Jan 09 @ 9:03 pm

Yeah, harmonic mixing is a GREAT asset to use. Just do some variations in a long set...

But for a short mix, and specially for mashups, its ESSENTIAL to use harmonics, or else it will sound bad and sour :)

Posté Mon 05 Jan 09 @ 1:33 am
digitalwiz wrote :
thanks you guys... never knew... man
I have been stressing over this key thing so much
now... i have added it to views

Wow.. everyday.. you discover something that is already there

thanks DJSOULMAN and thanks TearEmUp

no need to memorize anything now
no learning curve at all.. ant to think........DARN... which I had said something before now..

You're welcome. I don't normally use harmonic mixing at my weekly residencies as they are general commercial chart Videos. But, when I do single genre House sets I specifically use Harmonic mixing moving around the wheel and occasionally jumping 'outside the box'.

When I used Traktor for harmonic mixing in 2006 I made my desktop wallpaper with a full screen size Camelot wheel, I constantly minimized Traktor to see the wheel to see where I needed to go next. It's great with VDJ as you don't have to keep referring to the wheel, its there in your browser, just sort by the Camelot column. :-)

Posté Mon 05 Jan 09 @ 4:17 am
I also use the Camelot wheel alot :P, printed out a copy on cardboard lol.

if you visit their site thay have a few tips on how you can manuaver around it, going from 3A to say 9A gives a nice effect, or going 2 numbers up :P. I try to incorapate it into my mixes as much as I can.

btw Norway should my account say "Radio DJ"?

Posté Mon 05 Jan 09 @ 7:14 am
34%