Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Old versions

Sujet DPC Latency Checker - Fix Audio Problems - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

I've had issues with Cue using the DJ i/o external sound card ever since I purchased them a year ago for my HP laptop. My laptop (new at the time) is a HP DV9620us with Vista Home Premium (32-bit), 2 gigs RAM memory, 240 GB drive, dual core 2 Ghz AMD processor.

At every gig, i would experience various glitches 6-7 times a night (sound drop-outs, distortion, app freeze-ups and crashes, etc.). I tried every conceivable sound settings in the Cue Performances tab, but that didn't help. I tried various versions of DJ i/o driver software, but it didn't make any difference. I even went to the extreme step of creating a separate boot partion on my laptop and loading Windows XP (that was a project in itself!), but the same issue resulted when I ran Cue under XP also.

I submitted this issue to the Cue forum on the www.numark.com website (FYI - that forum was shutdown in November '08), but all of their suggestions (which I listed above) did not work.

After several weeks of this frustration (and embarrasement), I decided to bypass the DJ i/o card and take the sound out from my laptop's mini-headphone jack. The problems ceased immediately. However, this left me with only a mono output for each deck.

This led me to believe the issue had something to with the DJ i/o card, and I chalked it up as being just being one of those issues that Numark would someday get around to fix....

While I was waiting (and deciding if I needed to buy a new sound card), I happen to stumble onto this forum by a Google search (why in heaven's name Numark doesn't link to it from their website, especially after they shutdown their own Cue forum, is baffling to me). Lo and behold - I read a posting on a related issue that pointed me to a site to download a free utility (DPC Latency Checker at http://www.thesycon.de/eng/free_download.shtml ) to check for latency issues on my laptop. Once I loaded it, and found the devices in Windows Device manager that were causing the latency issues, I had the issue resolved in 5 minutes!! I've had no issues on several gigs since then. Thank you Virtual DJ Forum!!!

P.S. In Device Manager, I needed to disable my network connections devices (WLAN and Network controller), Modem, and my HP Webcam to keep the DPC Latency Checker bar graphs in the green/yellow areas.

Posté Sun 22 Feb 09 @ 8:21 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
CTMobileDJ wrote :

In Device Manager, I needed to disable my network connections devices (WLAN and Network controller), Modem, and my HP Webcam to keep the DPC Latency Checker bar graphs in the green/yellow areas.

They are the devices I had to disable in my gig machine

The DPC latency is a really good tool to use for a digital DJ.

Posté Mon 23 Feb 09 @ 1:29 am
CTMobileDJ wrote :
P.S. In Device Manager, I needed to disable my network connections devices (WLAN and Network controller), Modem, and my HP Webcam to keep the DPC Latency Checker bar graphs in the green/yellow areas.

Yes the latency checker is an awesome tool...

Wlan, bluetooth and similar services/hardware can be a real show killer, as the constantly "bug" the CPU with IRQ requests.

This leads to interuptions in the audio stream to a low latency soundcard, that needs a good flow of "talks" to the CPU over its IRQ.
If this IRQ is shared with one of the intense hardware described above, the audio card needs to buffer data (higher latency), and if running out of data, will produce a pop/click sound.. .

It can be a huge issue for music production pcs

Posté Mon 23 Feb 09 @ 2:10 am
Hi i think i have a similar problem.
I have numark total control and the dj io on the numark cue software.
When i am playing music through the setup everytime i move the jog wheels on the total control i get a bit of sound distortion.
It did not do this at all when i had windows xp but now i have windows vista 32bit and the problem started.
Everything i have tried has still not helped has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know how to fix this.
Thanks

Posté Mon 23 Feb 09 @ 4:20 pm
sischoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
dj-in-norway wrote :
Yes the latency checker is an awesome tool...

Wlan, bluetooth and similar services/hardware can be a real show killer, as the constantly "bug" the CPU with IRQ requests.

This leads to interuptions in the audio stream to a low latency soundcard, that needs a good flow of "talks" to the CPU over its IRQ.
If this IRQ is shared with one of the intense hardware described above, the audio card needs to buffer data (higher latency), and if running out of data, will produce a pop/click sound.. .

It can be a huge issue for music production pcs

I don't quite understand dj-in-norway.
Are you saying that other hardwares installed on own computer can raise the latency time of own soundcard?
If so, how should I act if I look my latency time is higher than normal?

I am asking these questions, because I don't understand the avail to know the latency time by that effect:(

Posté Wed 25 Feb 09 @ 9:44 am
So i was looking at a posting earlier today that was talking about some really big issues with the Dell Studio laptop and big time latency issues. I used the link provided in the original posting and the prog works pretty well. I found that with turning off a few devices I was still getting the latency issues. It would show as a really big spike for no reason. I finally turned off the wireless card and it stopped. Seems to work just fine when it can't connect to the internet. I hope this helps someone else.

Posté Thu 26 Feb 09 @ 10:27 pm
In my experience, wireless cards are a total latency hog. DCP helped me a bunch when I was just getting this software figured out.

Also, another less noticable fix if you are still having problems after playing with DCP... pull back the video accelleration slider. To find it: If you right click the desktop, then go to Properties, it's under Settings>Advanced>Troubleshoot. Pull back the slider a click or two.

Hope it helps!

Posté Fri 27 Feb 09 @ 9:45 am
Also, I came across a post in another forum where the poster said that he'd disabled the "battery control method" driver on his lappy, which dropped latency. So, I've included this in the list of disabled devices in my DJing hardware profile now, too ;)

Posté Sun 01 Mar 09 @ 2:11 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004

Posté Sun 01 Mar 09 @ 10:16 am
Thanks for the hookup, cel :)

Posté Sun 01 Mar 09 @ 6:21 pm
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
this thing single handedly solved my problems

simple changes in settings/which USB port to plug into, etc.

stable as can be

Posté Thu 12 Mar 09 @ 6:02 pm
I suggest to all users to deactive own Wi-Fi WIRELESS card (W-LAN 802.11x). In my computer, with it I have peaks of 6000 us while without it I have low latency under 100 us.

I hope it helps.

Posté Sat 14 Mar 09 @ 10:04 am
I'd like to share that after many days of googling and trying various things I finally tracked my latency issue down to the Linksys wireless adapter. I had installed it with the default xp drivers as it was recognized at boot and was installed and working fine. But apparently it needed the proper linksys drivers to work efficiently. Since I've done that I've had no latency spikes and everything stays in the green now. Thought I'd share that in case anyone else had similar issues.

Posté Thu 19 Mar 09 @ 8:21 am
Followed all the advice from the lactency checker and what other users were doing. Finally, I got my Dell Inspiron to work flawlessly by DISABLING the secondary IDE Channel. Just my CD/DVD drive. I can turn it on if I need it for something, but once it was turned off, not so much as a hiccup.

Just thought I would share. Thanks. CM

Posté Thu 19 Mar 09 @ 12:33 pm
just a question about the latency checker...

If everyting is in green that means its good?
as well if i have it rurnning and i disable hardware, do i have to stop and restart it? Or it just scans in real time?

any help is appreciated..thanks!

Posté Fri 20 Mar 09 @ 6:41 am
Yes, if you have all bars in green, your hardware is ok.

When you disable your hardware off, you don't need to restart the tool because it works in real-time.

Posté Fri 20 Mar 09 @ 8:48 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Guys, this has been a HUGE find that has helped many people solve problems not formally found otherwise.

Thank you for the heads up.

Posté Fri 20 Mar 09 @ 9:31 am
sischo wrote :
I suggest to all users to deactive own Wi-Fi WIRELESS card (W-LAN 802.11x). In my computer, with it I have peaks of 6000 us while without it I have low latency under 100 us.

I hope it helps.

In windows, I dissabled tons of stuff in the MSCONFIG. All network services, print spooler, firewall and etc.You will be surprised at how much resources will free up. If the computer is not on any network, you do not need half of the services that start automaticaly.

Posté Fri 20 Mar 09 @ 11:34 am
Now that I've improved my latency issue things are working much better but I have a question for others in the forum. Upon song load the CPU usage goes up dramatically and I know its because I have an older processor - PIV with 1.5G ram - but can I use ASIO drivers for soundblaster live? Will that even improve matters any? Should I just live with it the way it is?

Posté Fri 20 Mar 09 @ 1:19 pm
When you load a song, in any case you will have the CPU usage goes higher.

Posté Fri 20 Mar 09 @ 4:39 pm
14%