Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet The Big Gig Recap (House of Blues Revisited)

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Hey everyone, I promised that after my big gig on Friday night, I would post my experience here in the forums and anyone who has any questions about it can chime in on this thread.

First, the big question everyone wants to know is did I play it safe and use Bison for stability or did I cowboy it and use Virtual DJ. Well I cowboy'd it. Took my chances and used VDJ. I simply had not invested enough time in getting comfortable with Bision in order to be solid with it for live performance.

Second, everyone wants to know if VDJ crashed during the performance. Happy to say the answer is NO. VDJ was solid. I was on the wheels a LOT and I was doing my fair amount of scratching so I wasn't walking on eggshells. I was prepared with my backup music source (my linux laptop running xmms) so I really didnt care if it crashed or not. Also, it helps that I have experienced the crash so many times before. There is a very noticeable jerkiness and lag in the display right before the crash happens, so when I see this, then I back off. Ease off the wheels a bit and avert the crash. So now I can say I am glad I've seen so many crashes.

Matter of fact, for once the only problem I has during the performance was not with Virtual DJ, but it was with my XP10s. I hate to post anything bad about the XP10s since they are so dang awesome but about 5 songs into my set I realized that the magic plate did not work on my XP10. From what I have read, this is because they did not initialize properly. When you first plug them into USB you need to stay away from them until they initialize. Don't touch them. Apparently I messed up these simple instructions because the plate was not calibrated and I had to yank them from the USB live during the set. I should have thought it through a little better and switching to my backup laptop before yanking USB but I was a little freaked out and not thinking straight. I yanked USB cables out of my laptop and the room went silent (USB audio), I then quickly switched to Pharrell - Frontin' on the backup laptop then I switched back to VDJ after that song was done. It was early, nobody really cared and of course nobody was dancing yet.

As far as the performance, not patting myself on the back too much but it was pretty much EPIC. Dance floor was absolutely jammed solid all night long. I know everyone there, all the management, cocktail waitresses, bartenders, etc. Every single one of them told me that the dancing and music had never been that good in the history of the room. I've been there a few dozen times myself and I'd have to agree.

The other good thing was that all of the executive management from House Of Blues headquarters were there on that night and they got to see a nice crowd having and good time and making for a good night of sales. This helped me in my goal, which is to get a semi-resident spot there and get on the calendar a few times a month.

So all in all it was a great night of DJing and I think everyone had a pretty good time. I know I did. Let me know if you have any questions and of course comments are always welcome.

Posté Tue 15 Mar 05 @ 7:23 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Simply awesome man!! Good post! I hope you get the semi-resident spot.

Posté Tue 15 Mar 05 @ 8:32 pm
myselfPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Great news! It's nice when it all works out. The anxiety in waiting or expecting a crash or freeze is hell though, but with good back up, as you had, helps relieve this anxiety! Fingers crossed I have cured my previous problems and have a gig on Friday night, just a good knees up birthday party at a local hotel but I will be very confident with VDJ now!! I may even try some effects and beat mixing!!!!
Good luck with the residency! Craig

Posté Tue 15 Mar 05 @ 9:04 pm
cyberiaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Dude,

I'd love to know how you got that gig. I want to get into a semi-resident position locally (Florida) myself. Did you use business cards, cold-calling, knew somebody, etc.? Any info would be helpful, as well as any info from other pros out there is welcome too.

Peace

Posté Wed 16 Mar 05 @ 3:19 am
Alot of DJ's have the label of having big heads and always in competition with one another. I am better than you! (The fact is...my kids are my biggest fans.)That is why I enjoy these forums because everyone is ready to help one another and not judge on talent but to edify and build one another up. I am truly happy that Anesome did great and wowed them. Not only for being a fellow DJ but also a fellow VDJ user. I am a DJ from the Old School where a TRUE DJ only used vinyl. Only FAKE DJ's used anything else. I am really glad for him because he and others are helping to pave the way for Virtual DJ's in a world where a TRUE DJ is not what one uses but how he rocks the crowd!

So my hats off to Anesome and all the others who perform at Clubs and to the rest of us that rock and thrill our family and friends from our own Virtual Clubs right in our bedrooms.

MS

Posté Wed 16 Mar 05 @ 4:22 am
Wow man, congratulations. Its great to know you did well. Good luck on the residency.

Killabee44

Posté Wed 16 Mar 05 @ 4:53 am
Glad to see things worked out....Maybe vdj doesnt like staying at home.
Good luck on your future ventures
Andre

Posté Wed 16 Mar 05 @ 6:07 pm
cyberia, my best advice to you to get that gig you want in Florida is to hang around. Seriously, hang out. Get to know everyone involved, especially the people who make decisions on things like what DJ will play on which night. If they like you and think you're cool, then when you mention to them that youre a DJ and would like to get on one night, maybe keep your number in the rotation for a possible no-show and then when you get your chance, your set better be tight. Sounds pretty crazy but that's pretty much how I got in there.

Here is how it went down. The "regular" resident DJ starts at 10:00pm on Saturday nights which usually works out fine since no one is in the lounge before 10 anyways. But on my night there was a private party there starting around 8.30pm. Normally they would play satellite radio until the regular DJ got there, which is utterly lame. I offered to fill in the opening and DJ from 8.30 to 10pm, hardly a prime spot since hardly anyone was there and no one was dancing during this time. But management saw that I had the right music at the right time (people were still eating dinner, arriving, etc). When the regular DJ showed up at 10pm, I shut it down and took a 15 minute break. Then I worked on management and asked them if I could move my rig into the other room, they were cool with it. I setup in the other room before 11pm and that's when the party was on.

Most DJs I know would not have even bothered to pack up their gear for a 1.5 hour gig. But that's not what it turned out to be. I took a very little bit and made something more out of it.

Posté Wed 16 Mar 05 @ 6:41 pm
Congratulations to you for seeing an opportunity and getting it. You are an inspiration to many other VDJs here. Furthermore, you have (and will continue to gain) knowledge and experience that many of us can benefit from. If you don’t mind, please share some your knowledge and experience with us in this thread called “Club Mixing” when you get time:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=9931

I hope you continue to have a prosperous DJ career. Also, I might come check you out one of these weekends since I live in the LA area. Which HOB are you DJing at and what kind of music are you playing?

http://www.hob.com/venues/clubvenues/sunsetstrip/

http://www.hob.com/venues/clubvenues/anaheim/

OO

Posté Thu 17 Mar 05 @ 7:40 pm
Double O, thanks for the support man. I'll be at the House of Blues on Sunset Blvd in West Hollywood. I can't get any the schedule this month since they make the schedule two months in advance but look for me to be on there possibly in April. I'll post when I know, and if you let me know that you're coming down I'll make sure you're on the list. Oh, and the music is hip-hop but I mix in a little of this and a little of that.

Posté Thu 17 Mar 05 @ 8:02 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)