Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Music discussion

Sujet Limewire??? - Page: 2

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Ever seen Cribs? Just look at the homes of some of the singers/rap stars.

Sorry don't feel bad for them

Posté Sat 30 May 09 @ 6:26 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
mobiledjsteve wrote :
I personally beleive P2P sites are wrong to use; especially if you are a professional DJ. If you make money playing the artists songs why shouldn't the artists and record companies that created the music get their money due. I use TM studios for my audio and video subscription.

I totally agree, pay for your tools. If you play it, pay for it. One question though, I love the net search feature and it works great. I know I don't own the track when I play something from the web, and I don't intend on abusing that tool. BUT, isn't playing it for free (across the web) at a gig the same thing? The only difference is that the file is not on my hard drive, but I can play it as many times as I want without paying for it. This feature just seems to good to be true.

Posté Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 8:59 pm
not really...they get the music from record pools/promo only spots. it's illegal to pay for promos, soo..

just look at it like we're in a VDJ record pool

besides, we paid for this equipment/software...it's nice as hell to get something back

Posté Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 11:43 am
djcity wrote :
Some think it's stealing, some don't.

Some have the opinion that it's just like recording a t.v. show on a dvr or vhs. Some have the opinion that if you don't pay for it, it's not legit. Some think that as long as you don't sell the music then it's all good. Some see no difference between p2p and getting music from a friend. Some think it's about integrity, others think getting music for free is just makes good business sense.

This thread is meant to have an open and honest debate (Wow...I sound like Pres. Obama) on the subject of p2p and free music downloads.

Good answers. I am enjoying the feedback. I am curious to see what others have to say.

gotta get all technical on you.. LOL

When we are talking about this issue we are actually talking about two separate laws..
The copyright laws & Broadcasting Rights

If you tape a movie off your TV your not breaking any laws.. It was decided that since it was being broadcast for general consumption and if a person recorded it for personal use that was ok..

If you re-broadcast that taped movie, you are then breaking the Broadcast laws. (but not the copyright law)

If you tape that movie from a DVD, then you are breaking the copyright law.. if you broadcast it (IE show that taped movie in a bar with 200 people) you are breaking the broadcast law, and the copyright law..

If you rip a CD into an mp3, you are breaking the copyright law. Since it would be impossible to stop this... they dont even try.
You give that MP3 to friend.. still breaking the law, but the music police doesnt really care.
You make 1000 copies and give or sell them... now they care... and they will try and stop you. (and have. many times now)

As it relates to DJ's

The RIAA has gone on record saying that they are not interested in prosecuting any DJ that copies a CD onto their computer.. In the scope of things we (as an industry) are not the problem, and make little difference either way..
Understand this part! if every single Bar or Mobile DJ stopped playing Metallica or Micheal Jackson tomorrow... they wouldnt even notice.
Is it legal for us to put music on our computers? Its not.. but NO ONE will get charged for it, unless they do something stupid like put that music on 100 computers and sell them.

Broadcasting rights.. The venue (or host) is the one responsible to get the appropiate licence or 'rights' for playing music..
not the DJ!

Posté Thu 04 Jun 09 @ 1:48 pm
hippydog wrote :
Broadcasting rights.. The venue (or host) is the one responsible to get the appropiate licence or 'rights' for playing music.. not the DJ!

That sounds fine and that is the way it should work in a bar or club. But no Bride/Groom or House party is ever going to do that. I know my wife and I did not get music licencing rights for our wedding. We were not given a hint that we had to.

I want to keep my a** covered legaly (as a newbie) so I looked up ASCAP. They don't seem to offer any packages for the "mobile DJ" (only club and bar DJs). So what happens then? I only ask because I want to know how other DJs cover thier thier buts on this matter.

Posté Sun 07 Jun 09 @ 6:34 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
DHoude wrote :
hippydog wrote :
Broadcasting rights.. The venue (or host) is the one responsible to get the appropiate licence or 'rights' for playing music.. not the DJ!

That sounds fine and that is the way it should work in a bar or club. But no Bride/Groom or House party is ever going to do that. I know my wife and I did not get music licencing rights for our wedding. We were not given a hint that we had to.

I want to keep my a** covered legaly (as a newbie) so I looked up ASCAP. They don't seem to offer any packages for the "mobile DJ" (only club and bar DJs). So what happens then? I only ask because I want to know how other DJs cover thier thier buts on this matter.

In the US it is the VENUE's responsibility to pay licensing .. not the DJs. I wrote ASCAP, BMI and SESAC years ago about DJ licenses. Did this when all the foreign countries were starting to mandate that the DJs hold a license. The reply was that it was not my responsibility but the VENUE in which I played. Just go to their websites and use their contact us and ask the question ... it might take a few weeks to reply but they do.

Posté Mon 08 Jun 09 @ 2:33 pm
hippydog wrote :

DHoude wrote :
But no Bride/Groom or House party is ever going to do that. I know my wife and I did not get music licencing rights for our wedding. We were not given a hint that we had to.

In most cases the Venue gets a blanket licence for the year, and includes it in the rental fee.. (so the B&G dont actually get the licence themselves..)

The reason I mentioned "Host", is for the cases where their is not a venue. IE: a public outdoor event.. Then it is up to the host to procure the appropriate licencing.

Posté Tue 09 Jun 09 @ 11:44 am
Nice, thanks for the info guys. Just want to stay on the up and up;)

Posté Tue 09 Jun 09 @ 7:39 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)