Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet Auto Gain

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

Here we go, the Manual says:

Auto Gain – This is the auto gain adjustment setting for VirtualDJ. The values are :
• Disabled – Use the raw db level of the track as it was recorded, ripped, or normalized
• Auto – normalize the track to a 0db level for play
• Auto+Remember – normalize the track to a 0db level for play if loaded for first time, then
remember the last db gain adjust for next loading of the track.
• Remember – loads the track the first time using the Disabled setting, then remember the last db gain adjust for next loading of the track

I'd like to see a "Replay Gain" option which i can add to my whole library at once, defining by myself in the preferences how loud the tracks should play equaly.

It's implemented in Winamp >>

(Excerpt from Winamp Wiki)
"Use Replay Gain: Enables Replay Gain (automatic volume levelling) for all files with RG values applied. The main purpose of ReplayGain is to attempt to playback all files at approximately the same volume. To apply ReplayGain to your music files, right-click items in the Media Library or Playlist, and select "Calculate ReplayGain" via the "Send To" menu.

Problem with Actual Auto Gain in VDJ is that every track will be set to 0dB level means tracks recorded with Lower Gain than 0dB are getting Distorted.

Not so good.

Posté Wed 17 Mar 10 @ 3:02 pm
The distortion may have something to do with your equipment? or files?

I have lots of VOB music videos from Promo only that are pretty low in volume (Auto GAIN at 100%!),
yet NO distortion for me..

Posté Wed 17 Mar 10 @ 4:55 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Max_Headroom wrote :
Problem with Actual Auto Gain in VDJ is that every track will be set to 0dB level means tracks recorded with Lower Gain than 0dB are getting Distorted.

Not so good.

No, the problem is that you didn't rip the files at a quality worth using. If you are purchasing your files from official download sites then you are typically getting 192kbps or better files if MP3 and/or AAC files. If you are getting your files through unofficial means then you are getting 32kbps or 64kbps files which 'YES' are very poor quality and will distort in almost any software if applying a gain.

So, if you are getting distortion on your tracks then you need to re-rip them or get them from an official source.

Posté Wed 17 Mar 10 @ 6:54 pm
The auto gain works perfectly for me, I never even have to adjust the gain when mixing tracks. You might want to look into the quality of the tracks you're playing.

Posté Wed 17 Mar 10 @ 6:54 pm
Tracks mostly purchased from commercial portals like: iTunes, Beatport (WAV @ 1411 Kbps or Mp3 @ 320 Kbps CBR), Musicload, etc.
I'm far out of the "stealing music" age :)

Sure, different songs have different gain, but at least i think i can exclude any poor quality that could be the reason for clipping audio.
We all know how sensitive Digital Audio is in regard to distortion. Analog Audio is much more forgiving.

That's why i was asking for a feature to manually control "Auto Gain" - i'd rather like to call it "Replay Gain" because it works flawlessly in Winamp.
Just to have more flexibility to say if all my tracks should go no further than -5dB or - 9dB or whatever value.

That's it, that's all.
Good night and good luck.

Posté Wed 17 Mar 10 @ 7:46 pm
Then if its not the tracks, logically it must be a hardware issue?
Because VDJ doesnt set the gain at any more then 100% , and if your computer system can't handle 100% then somethings wrong.

I say this because on both my systems (that are very different) Autogain has never given me distortion (on any of my tracks).

and yes :-) , digital distortion sucks, but 0 DB would not make ANY track distort, and Autogain can't 'turn the volume up' any more then 100% (unless YOU modified the registry)

Posté Thu 18 Mar 10 @ 12:10 am
It's alive!!!

Still relevant discussion even with the output gain reduction possible for some time. It allows you to prevent clipping or limiter triggering when playing two tracks together that have been auto-gained and aren't reduced enough during the transition.

Posté Fri 26 Sep 14 @ 9:49 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)