Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Music discussion

Sujet Netsearch and indy/new bands songs. my wish.

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

My wish :-)
Is if there was someway VDJ could become a host for indy bands to showcase their music & videos directly to the thousands of DJ's who have VDJ and access to netsearch..

Think about it for a bit..

Radio sucks. Its stagnate and controlled by monopolies.. Indy bands would LOVE to get their music out to the regular public but are forced to rely on things like Itunes and My Space..

BUT
What if they had access to something VDJ where they could showcase their stuff, yet still be able to "sell" their music in whatever we they chose?

One day Atomix should think about setting up a webpage where indy bands could upload their music and have it listened too, rated, and maybe played by Pro DJ's across the world.

Posté Thu 18 Mar 10 @ 5:06 pm
http://musiciancoaching.com/music-business/state-of-the-industry-pt-2/

Quote :

“What can Spotify do to help the developing artist?” Because the real goal of the New Music Seminar is to help developing artists so more artists can break through. We really have a big problem in our country right now in that so few artists are breaking through, with or without a label. The promise of the Internet was that all of us would be able to make great music and get it exposed. Chris Anderson’s “Long Tail” article said that all you have to do is be able to get that record out, and they’ll come. But that’s not working.

Posté Tue 23 Mar 10 @ 10:54 am
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/48661/the_state_of_the_music_industry_and.html

Quote :

It's Not Looking Pretty
Have you listened to the radio lately? Were you pleased with what you were listening to, or did you change the station numerous times, trying to find something worth listen to? Are you getting tired of hearing the Black Eyed Peas, Jay-Z, and Beyonce every time you turn on the radio? If you are displeased with the state of radio today, you are not alone. People all over the country are turning their radios off. Instead, to find the new music they are craving, they are turning their radios in for MP3 players and internet radio. And the big wigs are not happy.

this article is pretty close to the one I read that originally made me start this topic. Except the one I read also talked about how the rock top 200 list is not changing YET there are numerous new rock bands out their..
basically it said this is the first time in history that "rock music" has not progressed or really changed, which is completely against what 'rock' music is about.

Unlike the movie industry (which seems to celebrate and encourage the independant low budget films)

the music industry has taken such a strangle hold of the distribution and discovery process, that now that things have gone to hell, the don't know how to pull out of it..
Radio stations depend on the labels to 'feed' them, and the labels depend on Radio to generate new fans..

problem is.. the average punter is sick of what their hearing on the radio..

Posté Tue 23 Mar 10 @ 11:04 am
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-mellencamp/on-my-mind-the-state-of-t_b_177836.html

Quote :

John Mellencamp
Musician and Activist
On My Mind: The State of the Music Business

During the late 80s and early 90s the industry underwent a transformation and restructured, catalyzed by three distinct factors. Record companies no longer viewed themselves as conduits for music, but as functions of the manipulations of Wall Street.

DJ's have also swallowed the bait, hook & sinker..
Why did we stop breaking new music?, and started relying on what the big companies told us was popular and cool?

Quote :

Reagan's much-vaunted trickle-down theory said that wealth tricked down to the masses from the elite at the top. Now we've found out that this is patently untrue -- the current economic collapse reflects this self-serving folly. The same holds for music. It doesn't trickle down; it percolates up from the artists, from word of mouth, from the streets and rises up to the general populace. Constrained by the workings of SoundScan/BDS, music now came from the top and was rammed down people's throats.

Posté Tue 23 Mar 10 @ 11:25 am
one last article..
how distribution is all based on the plastic disc.
http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/magazine/16-01/ff_byrne?currentPage=all

What I found interesting was not so much the article, but the comments afterwards..
Everyone and their dog is coming up with an indy website.. who cares..
without someone wading thru the piles of garbage, the average listening can't be bothered..

The music industry is moving back to the way it was in the 50's, where the individual makes or breaks the artist..
Problem is the one part of the equation is being left out.. THE DJ, and a truly believe thats why its not working..
The public has nothing to "rally around", Direct Distribution can only work if the public has something they can easily share with their friends..
IE: check out what DJ squishy's top 10, etc etc

Posté Tue 23 Mar 10 @ 11:57 am
I've been looking around..

there really is NO website that connects DJ's with the emerging indie artists..

I understand why of course.. DJ's are still stuck 100% on following what the radio says we need to play. And indie artists believe that DJ's will never play their music..

their are about 100,000 DJ's in north america, about 900k worldwide..

If indie artists could only reach 1% of those DJ's, that would be bigger then being on satellite radio!!

Posté Wed 31 Mar 10 @ 12:42 pm
Found this on one of the Indie sites!
loved it..

Posté Fri 02 Apr 10 @ 1:41 pm
I like your idea, but unfortunately I don't see this working. It's been my experience that people generally don't want a DJ to force new music on them, but rather to play what they know and will dance to. IMHO the Indy scene elitists who would actually like to hear the newest indy rock stuff will more than likely not be at a club listening to a dj, but be digging up these tracks on their own so they can be the first to have it. Once Indy rock gets widely played and circulated it isn't "indy" anymore and the bands lose a lot of their original fan base.

Posté Sun 11 Apr 10 @ 5:58 pm
When I say indy music, I mean any artist that is unsigned by the the big labels..
not just rock.. ;-)

Posté Mon 12 Apr 10 @ 2:35 pm
djreneePRO InfinityMember since 2004
I agree with the Jakemaster.

I remember trying to introduce my peeps to "Lady Ga Ga" before she had the first hit, they looked at me like I had two heads.
I work clubs and the ONLY thing they want to hear (or more importantly dance to) is something they have heard on the radio two times an hour for the past 6 months.

They wouldn't know an "Indie band" from the Indy 500 race.

Posté Mon 12 Apr 10 @ 4:44 pm
Couldn't agree more Renee...

Gonna have an interesting couple of weeks myself. The owner has employed a new manager. Popped in to se him today to say hi and give my contact details etc. He said he looks forward to hearing me play and then drops in - "You do play funky house right...".

It was the fact I didn't play funky house that got me the headline spot on the Saturday in the first place. The previous DJ played nothing but funky house and eventually emptied the club. the Thursday night DJ plays nothign but house and we're lucky to get 10 through the door - ok it is Thursday as well!!!!

We're a bar, on a pier, in a seaside town. This is not a major city and there is a newer club up the strip that has started a house night on a Saturday...

Once the holiday makers get here, they'll be looking for a night out with recognisable tunes, some old skool and some cheese.

However this guy has been employed on the back of running two promotional nights in the club which were very focused and targetted - as events should be, but for your regular Saturday night punters, you need to be fairly middle of the road and play a bit of everything...

My other concern is that as a "promoter" he will be looking to bring in his own DJ's to fill in the headline spots. Will have to see how this plays out. Of course I will play whatever he asks me to. I'm looking at what I have at the moment that resembles funky house, just in case!

The only thing the club has suffered from is little/no promotion for its regular activities. This is what I will be suggesting to him first, rather than him making wholesale changes. If it doesn't work then we can discuss changing things and then bringing in other DJs...

Sorry had to sound off somewhere and this thread just happened to push the right/wrong buttons today ;-)

Roy

Posté Tue 13 Apr 10 @ 11:11 am
djrenee wrote :
I remember trying to introduce my peeps to "Lady Ga Ga" before she had the first hit, they looked at me like I had two heads.

Can you expand on that? I'd be interested to know how you "introduced it"?
'back in the day' when I did clubs I didnt get to introduce new music very often, but on the other hand it wasnt completely unusual.. I've simply assumed that with the glorious 'internet' that the adoption rate was faster.. no? things are worse?

Posté Wed 14 Apr 10 @ 11:25 am
I played "Just Dance" first at the tail end of '08... People thought I was mad, got told I couldn't DJ to save my life, I was sh!t, etc, etc... 2 months later, they were queuing to ask for it.

Go Figure...

Roy

Posté Wed 14 Apr 10 @ 2:21 pm
well..
that kinda disturbs me.. Were things different back then, or was I just really really lucky with the clubs I worked at..

for example, there was this one place that on Saturdays the other DJ and I made a production out of it.. we would actually announce that we were trying some new songs we just got in.. and we would start off with the "super popular" stuff but throw in the new song unannounced.. (I never start a set with a new song of course)..
most times it seemed the drunken crowd never noticed..

Posté Wed 14 Apr 10 @ 3:12 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)