Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Sujet Timecode MODES...PLeaSe.........

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Most if not all other vinyl softwares have at least 2 timecode modes:
Absolute and Relative, where in absolute you can emulate real vinyl with accurate "needle drop" but usually you loose the software goodies, like seamless loops and cue points.
Relative mode on the other hand gives you all the benefits of the software with the sacrifice of the needle drop feature. BOTH modes are VERY usefull.
------------------------------------
Virtual dj has only one -i call it- "SMART" mode where you can have a litlle of both.
It's working for basic mixing and for beginners, But it is not enough for demanding users, and -most important- it has its problems:
1. Scratching is not accurate, there is "drifting" (and "SMART" algorithms like "Anti skip" make it worse.) A real absolute mode with all the "smarties.." disable is needed.
- The way it is now Virtual dj will never attract the real scratch dj's and "big" names, like you can see on other softwares and its a shame because Vdj is really better.
@Team please keep that in mind.
(I for example, as Ex Dmc champion in my country, use other software for scratching)

2. Cueing, is a PAIN and not reliable with "traditional" -Non scratch- cd players. A real relative mode is prefered with those players.

My FINAL suggestions:
Please ad these 2 Timecode modes for advanced users while keeping the "smart" mode as default for beginners and basic mixing ...PLEASE

...And maybe ...give priority to issues like this and time streching quality, to new features...

Thank you for the great software and support.

Posté Mon 23 May 05 @ 1:02 pm
SZ-BHome userMember since 2004
@ aposis

well i agree that it would be useful to have those two timecode modes , but it´s just not true that vdj skips or slips in any way . i´ve used vdj only for scratching and beatjuggling and if the cuepoint wouldn´t have stayed at the same place , i wouldn´t have used vdj for that . if your cuepoint slips you simply skipped your needle . it doesn´t skip no matter how fast you scratch or how much you backspin . so the problem must be your hardware or your scratching method (or maybe bad turntables/needles/slipmats etc). i switched to another software for scratching and juggling because of the low soundquality (only 16bit 44,1khz) that vdj has .

Posté Sat 28 May 05 @ 4:11 pm
nope, i made many tests, there is "drifting", ..

Anyway, is there any chance for a relative mode, please..
using cdj-100's with timecode cd's (and the stored vdj cues) is a pain..

Here is my "new" workaround:
1. Load a track
2. play the timecode and set a "virtual" cue point in the cdj-100, everywhere in the timecode...
3. Press a "go_to_cue" shortcut
4. Play the timecode (cd player)
ONLY then it starts perfectly.

I must repeat steps 1-4, if i need to start the song again from the same or another stored cue point.

Posté Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 12:23 am
@SZ-B

I have also noticed this drifting and I highly doubt that equipment would be to blame. Check out my blog for equipment information.

Regards

DJ White Devil

Posté Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 2:12 am
i´m sorry for you guys experiencing problems like that , but for me vdj worked fine since version 2.05 - no slipping of the cuepoint whatsoever .

Posté Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 7:12 am
Well its not like night and day SZ-B. The problem is something like this...

When you play a regular vinyl you can backspin and the spots are always the same.

When you play the TCVs, start scratching or backspin real quick and the timecode seems to drift off. You can see it in the DJ Righteous videos with the 2nd TT sticker. he starts beat juggling and the sticker is at 12:00. comes back and the sticker is at the 10:00 spot.

this is what we are talking about with drifting. The software still holds the cue points for me but the TCVs drift off after a while.

Posté Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 3:47 pm
And it is related somehow with the "smart" TC algorithm, so when the needle skips 1 or more vinyl grooves, timecode recognition continious in a "relative" way even if the antiskip check-box is turned off (Its maybe a buffer or something like this.)
This produces 2 antifacts:
1. Drifting when scratching, so a real absolute mode is needed.
2. Very difficult cueing with Non scratching Cd players (A real relative mode is needed for this)

Anyway this was the purpose of this post, not to change the current behaviour, (it is ok for basic VINYL mixing), but to ask for 2 additional TC modes like we already seen in other programs.

PS. And to impove the scratch sound, i still hear clicks and pops, and "choppy" sound (as i mentioned in another post)

Posté Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 5:28 pm
i saw the videos from dj righteous , and the reason why the cuepoint slips is because he can´t backspin properly . i really don´t want to flame him again (i already did) but i really only experience a slipping cuepoint when i scratch or backspin so hard that the needle skips . then the cuepoint drifts for one inch . i only use(d) vdj for beatjuggling and scratching and if the cuepoint slipped , i wouldn´t have been able to juggle and then i wouldn´t have bought it. i don´t have a video-camera (yet) but when i find a way to record my juggles i´ll let you see that the cuepoint stays where i set it . no matter if i´m scratching very fast (scribbles etc.) or if i´m backspinning 1 , 2 , 4 or more revolutions .
maybe you should (just to try it out) set your needle weight to 5 gramms and see if the cuepoint still slips when backspinning .

regards

Posté Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 7:57 am

Posté Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 8:27 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)