Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet rackmount vs laptop

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

hey..

i am planning to go in for a new laptop, preferably an amd with upwards of 512 RAM and a decent (?) video card..

firstly, what is a rackmount PC?? is it the same as a desktop or what???

secondly, is it imperative to get a laptop..

i am not a full time DJ, currently i DJ only at friend's parties, and lugging my whole setup is huge logistical issue...

my pc cofig is

AMD athalon 2200 +XP 1.8 Ghz
256 RAM
Integrated GeForce 2 64 MB on an ASUS motherboard
Soundblaster 5.1 Live
integrated nVidia soundcard on the motherboard..

the question is

should i set myself back $1500, (which is a lot of money for me) on a new laptop, or should i upgrade my pc and make it a rackmount, whatever that is..

please advise as my window to decide grows smaller by every passing hour

whew :)

cheers

DJ Rudra

Posté Sun 12 Jun 05 @ 6:19 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Well...

Old cyder would say: don't waste time on a laptop.

New cyder would say: That same 1500 will get you twice the pc in a rackmont

To see exactly what a rackmount pc is click on my name over there.

Posté Sun 12 Jun 05 @ 6:32 pm
so basically a rackmount is a PC that comes in the box type thing??

where do u keep the cpu and how do i get one..sorry to be asking these childish questions but i don't know anything about anything..

all i know is that vdj is the shiznit.. :)))

Posté Sun 12 Jun 05 @ 7:11 pm
how easy is it to lug a rackmount pc around

mobility for me is an important point to consider

Posté Sun 12 Jun 05 @ 7:15 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Well it depends on how big of one you build :)

I would say for audio only you'd be fine with a midgrade laptop.

But if you are considering doing video show's I've not be able to find on laptop that didn't have issues well i take that back there was one but it cost around 5000 dollars. Rackmounts come in all shapes and sizes. The are not the most portable thing but for sure they are the most value and very durable.

Posté Sun 12 Jun 05 @ 7:24 pm
i dubt if i would be able to do video mixing on a laptop for the simple reason that hard disk space would be a big limiter..

considering i do video shows..

i would need more RAM and what video card.. dual output is what i would need right??

and i guess that that the problem with lugging around the system would be solved to a great extent if i went in for a tft lcd screen right..

i noticed that your keyboard was different from mine..

how exactly is it different?

Posté Sun 12 Jun 05 @ 8:00 pm
@DJ Rudra

Depending on your need, which you seem to suggest that mobility is a key factor, a laptop will do just fine. It will not be as easy to ensure that video works well with a laptop as it would with a rackmount system since you can easily return a video card if it doesn't work well, while a laptop is a little harder to swap.

Posté Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 4:47 am
Dj Rudra,

It looks like you don't quite understand what a rackmount is. Go to this link and check out the pics.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811127011

That is the one I have. It is just a pc case made to be installed for industrial applications but works well for Pc dj's. I can tell you that they are heavy and you will need a case to store it in. Looks VERY professional and you will almost always get a different reaction as with a laptop. Its the best way to go in my opinion if you will not be using a laptop. They are heavy though.

Alluminum ones are available but more expensive. The one at that link is a 4u which is the smallest I recomend so that you can use a standard power supply. That will save you a lot of headaches.

If you decide to go with a rackmount make sure you choose a good motherboard and a good video card. Also make sure you get a least a gig of ram. Good luck.

Killabee44

Posté Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 6:32 am
you were right killabee.. i did not get the correct picture of what a rackmount is...

now i know.. :))

i guess i will go in for that option.. will atleast raise a few eyebrows.

thanks again

cheers

DJ Rudra

Posté Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 8:51 am
A rackmount is a ATX (Usally) Computer case, often used in professional applications such as servers.
These are 19 inches wide with mounting holes at eather end for mounting in a rack System.
These rack systems are used in professional Audio, both in recording studios, and live sound systems, amps, processors, mixers, are all available to be rackmounted.
So we have a case 19" wide, high can vary in various standard Hights, and a number of non-standard depths.
Think of the standard tower case, remember the older cases which were similiar but on its side with a monitor on top with L shaped mounting lugs at either front side end...you have a rackmount.
Proper rackmounts are often of better build quality, better cooling, and a damping system to isolate the drives from vibration.....They are build to be moved around, used in harsh environments, vibration, and dust using filters on air intakes.
Being like a tower in there side, its both easy and cheap to upgrade them, with standard PC components.
Lap-tops use specalised and expensive components often specific to the manufacturer and even Model
making them expensive and sometimes impossible to upgrade.

Posté Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 9:39 am
Oh, and one other thing to consider...

The link I posted is to a case that is 18" deep. Whichever one you choose, make sure it is not too deep or it will stick out through the back of your gig case. Measure the case you are thinking of getting first. I got that one because of it's not too deep and worked out fine for me.

Also, if you get one of the more powerful pci-express video cards (like the nvidia 6600GT or 6800GT) you will need a really good and powerful power supply. Minimum I think is like 350 watts but it is recomended you get a 500 watt or better.

Posté Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 6:01 pm
I'd like to throw my 2 cents in...

With regards to the rack mount case, you've gotten all the basic info form various people. If portability is an issue as well as size/weight and playability, you might also want to look at the XPC factors. These are the small format computers like SHUTTLE. They come in every different processing arena, and you can put one or two cards in them for better audio or video.

I was shopping around up to last week to REPLACE my laptop and I eventually went with the Shuttle, I would have taken a rackmount, but I couldn't get anything in my price range.

Disadvantages of LAPTOPS that I had:

Damages easily (A speaker fell on my laptop bag and cracked the case)
Laptop Power Connect needed to be soldered and re-soldered
SO MANY WIRES to plug in every time I set up
5200 RPM HDD (not good for Audio/Video)
External HDD (falls under the TOO many things category)
Fear of failure of laptop
Fear of forgetting something critical like the power adapter (too many things again)

If you are going to go the Rackmount arena I will compress everything in to one:

1. Look for an ATX case in the 4U height
2. Make sure the DEPTH of the case is less than 20" and subtract the distance from the back to the most flexible part of your most exposed cable (either you VGA or Power) I'd say 17" Depth would be pushing it
3. Roadbox/Rack Case - Are you going to be putting something else in it? You've seen the DMC controllers? Do you have a mixer? If you say yes to these things, you want to make sure that everything will fit in ONE box. Do your math and don't forget to leave room for cables to clear without kinking AND it should be strong enough to hold an LCD mounting bracket (see 9 below)
4. Large well rated power supply
5. Good Video Card (most come with dual output these days, not all come with TV out, and if they do you can bet it will be SVIDEO 80% of the time so make sure it comes with an adapter if you can't work with SVideo)
6. SATA HDDs You will want serial ATA hard drives, but you may want to get a board that supports SATA2 (3GB/s through put)
7. Power Conditioner - I don't know about you, but where I work we've got the AC running neary 365 days a year, plus every other form of interferance, a good Power Condition will help you to clean up the power as well as keep your PC and other electronics safe.
8. Keyboard tray - Find yourself a 1U keyboard tray so THAT is part of the system as well and you don't forget it and it wouldn't hurt if the keyboard had a TOUCH mouse on it as well
9. Your LCD monitor needs to be able to tolerate the moving here and there, I haven't finalized on one yet, but if you cannot mount it in your case, get a matching mounting arm that you can mount to your case

If you don't do at least 2 shows a week with the prospect of more, I'd suggest just getting a SHUTTLE pc, buying their nice TOTE bag or Back Pack, and get a nice case to hold your LCD monitor and misc stuff in.

Hope that helps!

Posté Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 8:52 pm

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)