Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Why use a Sound Card at All...???

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

CadDogPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi everyone,

I was totally wowed when I found out that you can setup VDJ 6 and NOT use a Sound Card.

While I have two sound card and using one with VDJ my question is this:

Why even buy a sound card in the first if you can play your muisc now without using a Sound Card...

Why, you may ask, am I asking this if I own 2 sound cards...???

I like to know... :)

Thanks...

BTW: VDJ gives me a right feeling knowing that if my sound cards stop working I can easily reconnect and continue playing...

Posté Fri 29 Oct 10 @ 5:26 pm
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Sound cards create sound. Unless you're playing for a crowd of really boring people who are also deaf, sound is a good value add for a DJ.

Posté Fri 29 Oct 10 @ 6:11 pm
djreneePRO InfinityMember since 2004
That's what I was thinking, I just didn't want to be the first one to say it.

"Can you hear me now" :^)

Posté Fri 29 Oct 10 @ 6:31 pm
well, Ozzy's invention of electricity was the necessary precursor in order for Elvis to

invent the soundcard .......first popularized by Baron von Soundenfurter ("Sound is good") , the soundcard

flourished around the year 2000 ......

Posté Fri 29 Oct 10 @ 7:55 pm
You own two sound cards so you can play in stereo.

Posté Fri 29 Oct 10 @ 9:55 pm
CRashster wrote :
You own two sound cards so you can play in stereo.

Ha ha...

More like quadraphonic sound...

Since my laptop comes with an upgraded internal sound card
the music sounds great right out of my laptop speakers.
Then when I connect my laptop to powered speakers you can't
tell if I'm using my external or internal sound cards...

Back to my threat...

I'm just asking to be inform and at the same time answer others who may also have thought of the same thing...

If I can go from my headset plug right to a mixer where does a external sound card have it over a good internal sound card...???

Am I missing something...???

Thanks...

Posté Sat 30 Oct 10 @ 3:57 pm
Do you hear pops and cracks when you use your computers on-board sound card?
I remember I would hear this when I was just using my laptop's on-board sound cards. You can really hear these pops and cracks when your computer is using its computing power. From my understanding the Windows operating system is not designed to handle audio in real time so you get there latency issues. Most on board sound cards do not have ASIO drivers, you can however try using the free asio4all driver.
A company by the name of Steinberg designedl ASIO (Audio Stream Input Output) driver protocol to reduce latency in Windows machines.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Stream_Input/Output

So my main reasons for getting a sound card were for its sound quality, so I could preview tracks and because I needed some inputs for time code control.

Posté Sat 30 Oct 10 @ 5:12 pm
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
To DJ properly you need to have at least two independent pairs of channels. Consumer audio interfaces don't tend to offer this - at least not in any way that is useful for DJing. Most pro interfaces allow for many more inputs and outputs and thus you can support the flexibility of VDJ7 which supports more than two decks. You also need the extra inputs to support timecode, for those who use this.

Also professional audio interfaces offer high fidelity beyond that of regular integrated devices. (for instance 192kBit 24-bit audio).

Also, pro interfaces allow for much lower latencies with ASIO drivers and such, so there is less delay between when you hit a button and when you hear the sound change. This is even more important for users of timecode because you don't want a big delay between adjusting your controller/vinyl and having the sound adjust accordingly.

Posté Sat 30 Oct 10 @ 5:35 pm
<facepalm of desperation @ the original message>

Posté Sun 31 Oct 10 @ 5:49 am
DGeePRO InfinityMember since 2007
Most laptops that have a basic sound card are really noisy. In many situations you can actually hear the computer hash of the various pieces of hardware talking to each other, such as a hardrive read/write or a mouse move etc. Listening through headphones one may not hear all the extra noise but it becomes pretty apparent when hooked up to a larger sound system. The little netbook I have has a definite high noise floor when listening through the head phone jack, but when connected through an M-Audio USB interface, the sound is crisp and clean.

Yes, you can use the direct audio out from a laptop but the sound will be much clearer and you will have no latency issues with a controller if you use an external sound card.

-DGee

Posté Sun 31 Oct 10 @ 7:53 pm
Thanks everyone...

I just want to get some input and I did...

With prices being between 30 to 200
I'm sure anyone I find a sound card that works best for them...

Posté Sun 31 Oct 10 @ 8:17 pm
Had a DJ take over from me after a set last weekend, in went the jack plug into the headphone socket, VDJ loaded up and the internal mixer was used with a mouse. What a joke, at least I had a RMX lol

Posté Mon 01 Nov 10 @ 7:28 am
if a tree falls in the forest , and there is no soundcard .......?

Posté Mon 01 Nov 10 @ 8:26 am
chucknorrisyouwimps wrote :
if a tree falls in the forest , and there is no soundcard .......?

allow me answer that with another...

what came first? sound or soundcard? ......lmfao

Posté Thu 04 Nov 10 @ 9:45 pm
For Karaoke gigs I just run straight from the computer to my powered mixer.

DJ gigs go through my Denon HC-4500 sound card.

As for the sound difference? Not that much frankly. (obviously laptops have varying quality of soundcards & that is the main thing to remember)

@Charlie

My buddy (who actually introduced me to VDJ from Toronto) is one of the best DJ's I've ever heard.

He makes his own mixes, intros & outros, knows his music inside & out & uses nothing more than a headphone out & the internal mixer & ROCKS clubs. NO Headphones! NO soundcards! NO JOKE! I've been there, seen it.

Doesn't matter how you use the program or if you use a controller if you can rock a club, that's all that matters.

For the record I sold my RMX. I hated it. Not even close to the Denon.

I'm waiting on the NEW Denon to come out in Canada (hopefully January or earlier) to try as a second unit.

Posté Thu 04 Nov 10 @ 10:30 pm
Besides the quality issues with a lot of in-built sound cards, a good quality 2 channel (or how ever many channels you might want) sound card offers you the ability to cue using headphones.

Normally I use an external soundcard, but I do also own a pair of Numark PHX USB headphones that allow me to send the output to my in-built soundcard and preview via the USB headphones.

Visit Numarks site for more info.

Posté Fri 05 Nov 10 @ 5:48 am
I don't know how DJ's, DJ without headphones, obviously just play ext mixes and line up the bars visually. I've done this a few times when I've forgotten my headphones but didn't particularly enjoy the experience.

Posté Fri 05 Nov 10 @ 6:54 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)