Connexion rapide:  

Forum: Video Discussion

Sujet Video screens - options

Ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes.

winyardPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I'm looking for some information on any guys here using video screens, projectors, LCD screens etc.

I currently use a 22" screen hanging from a goalpost stand, and the screen is used to play a lot of music videos and sometimes photo slideshows etc.

I want to get a bigger screen and trying to decide on what is the best option to get.
One option is a bigger LCD screen and mount it on a winch T-Bar and then buy a flightcase for the screen, or buying a rear-projector and screen.

A friend mentioned that having a screen from a truss and using a projector is a problem because the screen will move with people dancing which will cause a problem for the projector. - is this true, or do modern projectors/screens not have that issue?

There's obviously pros and cons to both.
LCD screen
Pros: Much clearer picture
Cons: Heavier, need a flightcase which aren't cheap, also need a winch T-Bar which is another expense.

Projector & screen
Pros: Much bigger screen
Cons: Picture definition isn't as good. Will require a few feet space behind the screen which isn't always possible at some venues in the UK.

Ideally I want something that isn't gonna take a long time to setup/breakdown.

I'd be interested to hear what different solutions you guys use and maybe see some pictures. Also, you'll know better than I on what are the pros and cons of what you're using. Interested also to hear how long it takes you to setup and breakdown.

Thanks.

Posté Sat 22 Jan 11 @ 7:00 pm
txltxlPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I'm looking for some information on any guys here using video screens, projectors, LCD screens etc.

I currently use a 22" screen hanging from a goalpost stand, and the screen is used to play a lot of music videos and sometimes photo slideshows etc.

I want to get a bigger screen and trying to decide on what is the best option to get.
One option is a bigger LCD screen and mount it on a winch T-Bar and then buy a flightcase for the screen, or buying a rear-projector and screen.

A friend mentioned that having a screen from a truss and using a projector is a problem because the screen will move with people dancing which will cause a problem for the projector. - is this true, or do modern projectors/screens not have that issue?

There's obviously pros and cons to both.
LCD screen
Pros: Much clearer picture
Cons: Heavier, need a flightcase which aren't cheap, also need a winch T-Bar which is another expense.

Projector & screen
Pros: Much bigger screen
Cons: Picture definition isn't as good. Will require a few feet space behind the screen which isn't always possible at some venues in the UK.

Ideally I want something that isn't gonna take a long time to setup/breakdown.

I'd be interested to hear what different solutions you guys use and maybe see some pictures. Also, you'll know better than I on what are the pros and cons of what you're using. Interested also to hear how long it takes you to setup and breakdown.

Thanks.

Hi Winyard,

I don't agree with your supposition that an LCD screen is 'clearer' than a projector - there's a million factors to it. I have a number of projectors and they are amazing - I wouldn't even think of using a screen for my work. That's not to say I haven't turned up to a Sports Bar and just hooked right in to all the monitors already there though!

Your monitor screen is a fixed size, its fragile. A 'short throw' can project/backproject a huge image from just a few feet away. You can buy a great foldaway B.P. screen or even use a sheet or shower curtain!!! If you can't back project, front project from your DJ table. If it's off to the side and gives you a skew-y picture, just use the keystone options to remap the image.

Go to Unicol and get a decent ceiling mount kit from around £200 - it'll be specially made to fit your projector model (if they don't already make it, they'll ask for your projector for a few days to build something unique)

A projector is small and neat, pretty robust too. Downside - £300+ for a lamp after 2000hrs. However, my last lamp was a 'compatible' at £149 and has been working away for the last 1000hrs which to me is almost 2yrs. Casio have just released a 2000 Lumen LED/Laser projector with a lamp life of 20,000hrs (yes. Twenty THOUSAND HOURS!!!) so even this won't be an issue. We're about to test this projector at work - my day job is as a creative AV advisor for a museum, arts and sports service.

My most used projector, an old Epson 800 is around 2000 Lumens and looks good anywhere even with quite a lot of ambient light. I picked up an eBay 'spare' as well for around £90 - always ask what the lamp life is on the kit you intend to buy.

There's always somewhere to put a projector and if you ever find there isn't, well you can just drag that big old TV out the boot of your car!!!

Hope this helps

Posté Sun 23 Jan 11 @ 6:38 am
Thanks a lot for this txltxl

Posté Tue 01 Feb 11 @ 2:20 pm
Here is an Idea I made for tight spots using a projector ...

Posté Tue 01 Mar 11 @ 4:57 pm
I would like to know where to get this spandex.

Posté Mon 07 Mar 11 @ 11:32 am
Most decent fabric stores that sell sewing material..like Joannes Fabrics sells it

Posté Fri 18 Mar 11 @ 7:43 am
That's a really interesting idea. Does the picture quality not suffer from using the acrylic mirror?

Posté Fri 18 Mar 11 @ 8:48 am
I just purchased a 73'' Mitsubushi DLP HDTV. Plenty large for any venue I have done. This is by far WAYYY better than a projector. Its light weight, kind of bulky but I dont have to worry about a screen, setup, lightbulbs anything. I only paid $1000 bucks from Dell.com. Im recommending that anyone who is doing a small to mid size venue get one of these. or if you wanna put up $3000 you can get a 89''..lol..too much for me. take care. Love the guys setup though with the spandex..but its nowhere near the quality of the DLP TV.

Posté Sun 03 Apr 11 @ 5:12 pm
THAT'S A GREAT IDEA, LINEMAN55! Kinda like those retroprojectors, but without the wooden box around it. I'm gonna make my version of it and when it's finished, I'll post some pics. Many thanx for sharing this!

Posté Tue 07 Jun 11 @ 9:52 am
My advice is, don't waste your time with any projector less than 2700 lumens. Ideally, a compact 3500 will be adequate for any job but of-course you have to shell out the coin. You also want to consider the lens options before you purchase because you won't always have very big spaces in which to place your set-up. I prefer rear projection and trust me it really helps when you have a lens option to shorten the distance between the projector and the screen. You will see what I mean as you start to play with bigger screen sizes.

Posté Wed 08 Jun 11 @ 1:05 am
I agree with iansharp. 3000 lumen minimum and watch that contrast ratio also! 3000:1 is OK. Black areas will then be dark enough...

Posté Wed 08 Jun 11 @ 11:12 am
how do i make my video screen bigger for the karaoke singers?

Posté Tue 27 Dec 11 @ 12:45 pm

Posté Fri 06 Jan 12 @ 3:40 pm
docPRO InfinityMember since 2020
i have two different size stretch screens. I think I got them from stretchy screens dot com. I also use a 3' light filtering window shade, I also have a 5' light filtering window shade. I buy the economy models because they are a bit thinner and are great for rear projection.

Posté Sun 15 Jan 12 @ 9:58 am

(Les anciens sujets et forums sont automatiquement fermés)