Connexion rapide:  

Forum: General Discussion

Sujet Which Mp3 Ripper? - Page: 1

Cette partie de ce topic est ancien et peut contenir des informations obselètes ou incorrectes

stuxxxPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Hi all

I've decided to take on the mamoth task or re-ripping my back catologue of music which is currently done at 128kbps.

Plan to rip at 160kps to try to improve the sound quality a bit.

Just wondered what are you using to rip your CD's these days.

Any recomendations?

Thanx

Stu

Posté Mon 01 Sep 03 @ 11:07 am
I generally use Musicmatch for that as I like it's cataloging system you can set up when you rip. (i.e. It can be made to make your directory structure and naming convention the most simple to use, Genre, Artist, Alblum..) Hope I was clear with this, kind of tired today. ;)

Regards;

Redman247

Posté Mon 01 Sep 03 @ 11:12 am
jukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yep Musicmatch or audiocatalyst

Posté Mon 01 Sep 03 @ 3:11 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
There's dozens of them out there... most are free. Try 4-5 of them and select one that gives you the best results. I usually use CDex.

Posté Mon 01 Sep 03 @ 4:22 pm
DJ CocoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
cdex

Posté Mon 01 Sep 03 @ 4:59 pm
EAC is the best.

Posté Mon 01 Sep 03 @ 6:38 pm
I use CdEx, which is freeware, but Eac is also a good tool. Both use the Lame encoder. I read some tests and Musicmatch jukebox had the worst quality of all other 10 ripping tools. Eac and Cdex came out best (they use the same encoding engine as said earlier). A mp3 encoded at 128k with eac had a better quality then a 192k encoded file of Musicmatch.
I will try to find the link of this test. If I will find it I will post it here.
Ewout

Posté Mon 01 Sep 03 @ 9:46 pm
DO NOT USE MUSICMATCH ... for the love of god !!!!

USE CDEX !!!!!!!! IT IS THE BEST PROGRAM BY FAR !!! Very simple to use yet powerful. If you go: options - setttings - encoder - quality .... scroll down to R3mix preset ... it provides the absoloute highest quality to size ratio.

Or you can alternatively use 192 kpbs with VBR disabled. I personally did not notice a difference between 192 and 320.

EAC is much much more advanced and should only be used when ripping damaged CD's.

Posté Mon 01 Sep 03 @ 10:13 pm
EAC

Exact Audio Copy

Posté Tue 02 Sep 03 @ 12:59 am
Thanx for your response guys

Have downloaded CDex.. will try it at the weekend..

I see in a different post it the technical forum Trip_likeido is having problems with VBR encoded mp3's..

Is the sound quality that much better or is it just a file size thang!! Havent used it yet so excuse my ignorance!!

Stu

Posté Wed 03 Sep 03 @ 10:36 am
I think and heard other people saying there was no difference between 160 kpbs and 192 kpbs. So I am sticking to 160 :) I gonna get the Cdex I keep on using Roxio's Sound editor (lol) I play that in club aswell.

Posté Wed 03 Sep 03 @ 10:50 am
Fao Trip_Likeido

Re Cdex

What op sys are you running..

I am running windows 2000 and i cant get it to rip the tracks successfully. it goes through the motions but i end up with tracks with no sound?

I have placed a copy of winaspi32.dll in the cdex folder as suggested in the trouble shootin but still no joy??

(Have no trouble ripping with existing software)

Any thoughts on the problem..

Regards

Stu

Posté Wed 03 Sep 03 @ 7:05 pm
@stuxxx -
AudioGrabber works great for me and is especially useful if you have to encode directly to Mp3 from vinyl. Uses LAME encoder plugin.

Encode @ 192Kbps, never below 160. File size is no concern, disk space is cheap and 192 produces and acceptable size file.

On a big sound system you begin to hear the degradation in quality of bit rates below 160.

Posté Wed 03 Sep 03 @ 7:34 pm
I borrowed the seinhessier headhphones (high quality ones) and did some comparisons.

I got the best results using 192 kbps using the LAME 3.92 Codec / VBR disabled / J-Stereo.

Posté Thu 04 Sep 03 @ 6:35 am
Cdex for sure for its ease of use.
Why not try VBR 160 to 192 so it will use what it needs?

Posté Sun 07 Sep 03 @ 9:02 am
nscodeHome userMember since 2003
It seemes that VDJ doesn't like VBR files...

Posté Sun 07 Sep 03 @ 1:32 pm
stuxxx, rip at 192-224

I use Easy CDDA extractor 6 :)

Posté Sun 07 Sep 03 @ 3:42 pm
I'm agree with Phenryll

Posté Sun 07 Sep 03 @ 4:57 pm
hmmmmmm ... i dunno if it was the VBR method i was using ... 192 kpbs non-vbr sounded slightly better than the 128 - 224 kpbs VBR. The file size wasn't much different either.

but yeah, CDex rocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posté Sun 07 Sep 03 @ 11:43 pm
Hi Guys

Thanks for that

I do like CD-DA 6

A well laid out piece of software.

Ripping at 192 currently using 128, the sound is definately much better...

Oh well about 200 tracks done 6000 to go !!!

Will the punters notice the difference?.. I doubt it !

Cheers

Stu

Posté Wed 10 Sep 03 @ 3:55 pm
87%